Customs Question

I was wondering why this past April when I arrived at Citaveccia(sp) Rome's Port there was no passport control. We just walked off the ship as if we arrived from a domestic flight. Our itinerary was from New Orleans-Toulon, Livorno Rome.

In April 2012 I took a San Juan-St Maartin, Tenerife, Gibraltar, Cartegena, Majorca-Barcelona Cruise and when I arrived in Barcelona I went through

passport control where my passport was stamped. Why did I go through passport control on this itinerary?

I was wondering if I will go through Passport control in Barcelona coming from Sao Paulo-Rio-Salvador De Bahia-Tenerife-Malaga-Barcelona?

I thought the passport control is done at your first entry point into the EU so wouldn't have my San Juan-Barcelona cruise cleared EU in Tenerife or Gibraltar?

Thanks.

I m not really sure how the EU clears the passport list from cruise passengers, but we did not have to go through passport control at the end of (or our first European stop of) our east bound transatlantic either.

I assume it has something to do with the cruise passengers list and using that to clear people, maybe?

It is a great question and hopefully someone who understands why will come along soon.