What are your Favorite Cruise Ship Movies?

cruiserking

Going back further in the film vaults, "Between Two Worlds" was a remake of "Outward Bound" (1930), starring Leslie Howard and Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. Trailer:

I will be on the lookout for both of these old chestnuts. Thanks for adding Outward Bound to the list Arusha, another cruise ship class film I hope to see someday soon.

Cruise Critics Favorite Cruise Ship Films - 2014

1.) The Poseidon Adventure

2.) Juggernaut

3.) The Lady Eve

4.) Out to Sea

5.) An Affair to Remember

6.) Now Voyager

7.) A Night at the Opera

8.) Ship of Fools

9.) The Legend of 1900

10.) A Night to Remember

11.) Titanic

12.) Dangerous Crossing

13.) Carry On Cruising

14.) Death on the Nile

15.) The Cat's Meow

16.) Shall We Dance

17.) Boat Trip

18.) Bitter Moon

19.) The Last Voyage

20.) Love Affair

21.) Chipwrecked

22.) Beyond the Poseidon Adventure

23.) Poseidon

24.) Jack & Jill - for Allure of the Seas scenes

25.) Royal Wedding

26.) Saboteur - For SS Normandie capsized in NY Harbor

27.) Lifeboat

28.) Captain's Table

29.) Promises, Promises

30.) Ghost Ship

31.) Goliath Awaits

32.) The Perfect Storm

33.) The Magic Christian

34.) Table for Five

35.) Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

36.) Dodsworth

37.) Titanic II

38.) Speed 2

39.) After the Sunset

40.) The Last of Sheila

41.) Captain Ron

42.) Overboard

43.) Assault on a Queen

44.) Between Two Worlds

45.) Outward Bound

Jonathan

I just watched a few short clips of Between Two Worlds at the TCM website and it is very reminiscent of a marvelous episode of the Twilight Zone called the Passage of the Lady Anne, that Cruise Critic AKman2495 mentioned earlier in the thread.

It's not doubt the Between Two Worlds inspired the Twilight Zone. If you've not seen this episode it's well worth it, here's another link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5hlObQm63w

Jonathan

Thanks... I'd forgotten about The Passage of the Lady Anne. Certainly looks like it was inspired by Between Two Worlds.

If I may mention a particular episode of a TV series that had a ghost/ cruise ship theme...

A few years ago we saw & heard the TV producer and writer Mark Perry as a guest speaker on the Celebrity Constellation. As well as being a prolific producer and scriptwriter for some well-known TV shows, Perry is also a ship enthusiast, serves on the board of the SS United States Conservancy, and was executive producer of the 2008 documentary SS United States: Lady in Waiting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_United_States:_Lady_in_Waiting

In his capacity as a writer-producer on the TV program Ghost Whisperer, he wrote an episode that was filmed on the Queen Mary in Long Beach, titled "Save Our Souls." Melinda (the Ghost Whisperer, played by Jennifer Love Hewitt) and her husband take a cruise on the last voyage of an old ship that is about to be retired and sent to the breakers; during the cruise, she discovers that the ship is full of restless ghosts.

The episode is filled with wry, witty references to movies set on ships. For example, the ship is named the Claridon (the name of the fictional ship in The Last Voyage), and one of the ghosts is named Mr. Rogo (the name of the Ernest Borgnine character in The Poseidon Adventure). It's all very silly, but great fun, and it's a good watch just for the chance to see the decks and interiors of the old Queen Mary:

Thanks... I'd forgotten about The Passage of the Lady Anne. Certainly looks like it was inspired by Between Two Worlds.

If I may mention a particular episode of a TV series that had a ghost/ cruise ship theme...

A few years ago we saw & heard the TV producer and writer Mark Perry as a guest speaker on the Celebrity Constellation. As well as being a prolific producer and scriptwriter for some well-known TV shows, Perry is also a ship enthusiast, serves on the board of the SS United States Conservancy, and was executive producer of the 2008 documentary SS United States: Lady in Waiting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_United_States:_Lady_in_Waiting

In his capacity as a writer-producer on the TV program Ghost Whisperer, he wrote an episode that was filmed on the Queen Mary in Long Beach, titled "Save Our Souls." Melinda (the Ghost Whisperer, played by Jennifer Love Hewitt) and her husband take a cruise on the last voyage of an old ship that is about to be retired and sent to the breakers; during the cruise, she discovers that the ship is full of restless ghosts.

The episode is filled with wry, witty references to movies set on ships. For example, the ship is named the Claridon (the name of the fictional ship in The Last Voyage), and one of the ghosts is named Mr. Rogo (the name of the Ernest Borgnine character in The Poseidon Adventure). It's all very silly, but great fun, and it's a good watch just for the chance to see the decks and interiors of the old Queen Mary:

Thank You Post Captain, you are a wonderful fount of Cruise Ship film and television information. I would love to watch that Ghost Whisperer episode, I love that the character's name is Mr. Rogo. Poseidon Adventure is one of my all-time favorite films.

I bet that Mark Perry lecture was terrific, I love those ship lecturers, Bill Miller is my favorite.

I have often wondered about the derivation of your CC handle. I imagine it is a nod to the rank in the Royal Navy. It is a great Cruise Critic name with the double-entendre of 'Posting' replies. Nice to chat with you, have often read your comments on the Cunard boards. Now, I hope I can track down this Ghost Whisperer episode somehow, that twenty-three second teaser has aroused my curiosity...

Jonathan

Not to be morbid, but...

Don't forget Voyage of the Damned.:(:mad:

Based on a true story. NO ONE (including the USA) would allow a cruise ship to dock from Germany at the beginning of WWII. Filled with German Jews, it was therefore forced to go Back to Germany due to the political climate at the time...A very shameful & cowardly act, so not to upset the beast!:eek::mad:

Technically, it is a movie about a cruise, but one NO ONE should ever have to get on!:o

Not to be morbid, but...

Don't forget Voyage of the Damned.:(:mad:

Based on a true story. NO ONE (including the USA) would allow a cruise ship to dock from Germany at the beginning of WWII. Filled with German Jews, it was therefore forced to go Back to Germany due to the political climate at the time...A very shameful & cowardly act, so not to upset the beast!:eek::mad:

Technically, it is a movie about a cruise, but one NO ONE should ever have to get on!:o

This is a tremendous film, very powerful and moving with some terrific ocean liner scenes, thanks for posting Jwm51.

Jonathan

Thank You Post Captain, you are a wonderful fount of Cruise Ship film and television information. I would love to watch that Ghost Whisperer episode, I love that the character's name is Mr. Rogo. Poseidon Adventure is one of my all-time favorite films.

I bet that Mark Perry lecture was terrific, I love those ship lecturers, Bill Miller is my favorite.

I have often wondered about the derivation of your CC handle. I imagine it is a nod to the rank in the Royal Navy. It is a great Cruise Critic name with the double-entendre of 'Posting' replies. Nice to chat with you, have often read your comments on the Cunard boards. Now, I hope I can track down this Ghost Whisperer episode somehow, that twenty-three second teaser has aroused my curiosity...

Jonathan

Many thanks for the kudos, Jonathan. Very kind of you to characterize me as "a font of information"; most people just say that my head is stuffed full of useless knowledge.:D

"Post Captain" is a nod to Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin novels; it's the title of the second book in the series, in which Jack Aubrey, biding his time ashore without a naval assignment, seeks to be appointed to the command of a ship in Royal Navy while attempting to work his way out of various romantic difficulties and trying to avoid debtors prison.;)

As you no doubt know, in the Napoleonic era a Royal Navy officer could have the rank of captain without actually having a ship to command--in which case, that captain was on half-pay and in something of a dead-end position, a captain in name only. Such captains generally were forced to beg the Admiralty for a ship, often without success. If and when a such a captain was finally given command of a ship, his name was "posted" on the official Admiralty list of active captains, and thus he moved into a more desirable and active position in the navy, with the possibility of moving up to the command of larger ships and eventually becoming an admiral.

But yes--I was taken by the double-entendre when choosing my CC moniker. However, any similarity between Jack Aubrey and myself lies mainly in our efforts to avoid debtors prison.:D

Many thanks for the kudos, Jonathan. Very kind of you to characterize me as "a font of information"; most people just say that my head is stuffed full of useless knowledge.:D

"Post Captain" is a nod to Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin novels; it's the title of the second book in the series, in which Jack Aubrey, biding his time ashore without a naval assignment, seeks to be appointed to the command of a ship in Royal Navy while attempting to work his way out of various romantic difficulties and trying to avoid debtors prison.;)

As you no doubt know, in the Napoleonic era a Royal Navy officer could have the rank of captain without actually having a ship to command--in which case, that captain was on half-pay and in something of a dead-end position, a captain in name only. Such captains generally were forced to beg the Admiralty for a ship, often without success. If and when a such a captain was finally given command of a ship, his name was "posted" on the official Admiralty list of active captains, and thus he moved into a more desirable and active position in the navy, with the possibility of moving up to the command of larger ships and eventually becoming an admiral.

But yes--I was taken by the double-entendre when choosing my CC moniker. However, any similarity between Jack Aubrey and myself lies mainly in our efforts to avoid debtors prison.:D

Very interesting post, Captain. I was not aware of the story behind the rank. I have never read any of the Mr. O'Brian's novels but, hear they are wonderful. I also came across his works when I Googled Post Captain in the first place. I will continue to save my pennies as well to avoid Debtor Prison and the Workhouse and perhaps our paths will cross aboard the QM2 some time in the future.

Jonathan

• 2 weeks later...
Honestly -- six pages, and no one's mentioned Wall-E? Sure, the cruise ship might've been in space, but it was still a cruise ship. With a pool!

I adore Wall-E, some great cruising scenes in this film. Thanks for posting Molly and bumping the thread up again.

Last night I finally watched a film I've had sitting in my Netflix cue for about five or six years. I figured it would be horribly cheesy but, as a tribute to Shirley Temple who passed on February 10 and because it takes place aboard a ship I watched Stowaway.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film, Shirley Temple was such a rare talent you can't help but sit back and smile at her spunk and delivering goofy one-liners with such flare.

Temple gets lost in Shanghai and befriends Robert Young, she accidentally winds up aboard a ship along with Young and Alice Faye. A fun little romp with some really great ship board scenes. Young is a wealthy playboy he has a sumptuous stateroom complete with balcony pretty impressive for a 1936 era ship.

Put this one on your list it will lift your spirits.

Jonathan

2.) Juggernaut

3.) The Lady Eve

4.) Out to Sea

6.) Now Voyager

7.) A Night at the Opera

8.) Ship of Fools

9.) The Legend of 1900

10.) A Night to Remember

11.) Titanic

12.) Dangerous Crossing

13.) Carry On Cruising

14.) Death on the Nile

15.) The Cat's Meow

16.) Shall We Dance

17.) Boat Trip

18.) Bitter Moon

19.) The Last Voyage

20.) Love Affair

21.) Chipwrecked

23.) Poseidon

25.) Royal Wedding

27.) Lifeboat

28.) Captain's Table

29.) Promises, Promises

30.) Ghost Ship

31.) Goliath Awaits

32.) The Perfect Storm

33.) The Magic Christian

34.) Table for Five

36.) Dodsworth

37.) Titanic II

38.) Speed 2

39.) After the Sunset

40.) The Last of Sheila

41.) Captain Ron

42.) Overboard

43.) Assault on a Queen

44.) Between Two Worlds

45.) Outward Bound

46.) Voyage of the Damned

47.) Wall-E

48.) Stowaway

Jonathan

Honestly -- six pages, and no one's mentioned Wall-E? Sure, the cruise ship might've been in space, but it was still a cruise ship. With a pool!

GOOD CATCH!:eek::D

I don't how I missed that one...LOVE that movie!!!

2.) Juggernaut

3.) The Lady Eve

4.) Out to Sea

6.) Now Voyager

7.) A Night at the Opera

8.) Ship of Fools

9.) The Legend of 1900

10.) A Night to Remember

11.) Titanic

12.) Dangerous Crossing

13.) Carry On Cruising

14.) Death on the Nile

15.) The Cat's Meow

16.) Shall We Dance

17.) Boat Trip

18.) Bitter Moon

19.) The Last Voyage

20.) Love Affair

21.) Chipwrecked

23.) Poseidon

25.) Royal Wedding

27.) Lifeboat

28.) Captain's Table

29.) Promises, Promises

30.) Ghost Ship

31.) Goliath Awaits

32.) The Perfect Storm

33.) The Magic Christian

34.) Table for Five

36.) Dodsworth

37.) Titanic II

38.) Speed 2

39.) After the Sunset

40.) The Last of Sheila

41.) Captain Ron

42.) Overboard

43.) Assault on a Queen

44.) Between Two Worlds

45.) Outward Bound

47.) Wall-E

48.) Stowaway

Jonathan

What about fifth element? Futuristic cursing space I guess hehe

Two "murder she wrote" episodes based on a cruise........had to look them up, but I remembered the plots....ship of thieves and my Johnny lies over the ocean.

The Fraiser episode is one of the most hilarious ones!

Thank You for adding these two episodes to the list QTPie68, I hope I can find these on youtube.

Cruise Critics Favorite Television Cruise Ship Episodes

1.) I Love Lucy - Bon Voyage

2.) The Love Boat

3.) The Love Boat II

4.) Keeping Up Appearances - Sea Fever

5.) Shackleton

6.) Columbo - Troubled Waters

7.) Frasier - Voyage of the Damned

8.) Designing Women - Cruising

9.) The Twilight Zone - Passage of the Lady Anne

10.) The Simpsons - A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again

11.) The Night Stalker - The Werewolf

12.) Murder She Wrote - Ship of Thieves

13.) Murder She Wrote- My Johnny Lies Over the Ocean

Jonathan

Not sure if this movie can be classified as a cruise movie but - "Parent Trap" starring Lindsay Lohan (back when she was a talented child star) -featured Dennis Quaid as her American father and Natasha Richardson as her English mother who meet on board a cruise ship.

Thanks for the post Aussilozzie18. I will add the Parent Trap, Chipwrecked has already made the list at number 21.

What about fifth element? Futuristic cursing space I guess hehe

Sure, why not..we've already got Wall-E in their, what's one more space cruising film, thanks Chillychick.

2.) Juggernaut

3.) The Lady Eve

4.) Out to Sea

6.) Now Voyager

7.) A Night at the Opera

8.) Ship of Fools

9.) The Legend of 1900

10.) A Night to Remember

11.) Titanic

12.) Dangerous Crossing

13.) Carry On Cruising

14.) Death on the Nile

15.) The Cat's Meow

16.) Shall We Dance

17.) Boat Trip

18.) Bitter Moon

19.) The Last Voyage

20.) Love Affair

21.) Chipwrecked

23.) Poseidon

25.) Royal Wedding

27.) Lifeboat

28.) Captain's Table

29.) Promises, Promises

30.) Ghost Ship

31.) Goliath Awaits

32.) The Perfect Storm

33.) The Magic Christian

34.) Table for Five

36.) Dodsworth

37.) Titanic II

38.) Speed 2

39.) After the Sunset

40.) The Last of Sheila

41.) Captain Ron

42.) Overboard

43.) Assault on a Queen

44.) Between Two Worlds

45.) Outward Bound

47.) Wall-E

48.) Stowaway

49.) The Fifth Element

Edited by cruiserking

• 1 month later...
Two others to add to the list:

"Chupacabra Terror"

Storyline

Cryptozoologist Doctor Peña ('Giancarlo Esposito') traps the legendary Chupacabra on a remote Caribbean Island to make his name in the scientific community. When he smuggles it aboard the cruise ship Regent Queen, commanded by Captain Randolph, (John Rhys-Davies), the monster breaks out of the cargo hold and makes a smorgasbord out of the passengers and crew. Navy SEALs are called in to evacuate the ship and battle the monster, but it ultimately comes down to Captain Randolph, his daughter Jenny (Chelan Simmons), and Federal Marshall Lance Thompson ('Dylan Neal') to save the day. Written by Steve Jankowski & John Shepphird

It's a low budget monster movie. Most of it is laughable, but it's a good one to kill a rainy afternoon.:cool:

"Deep Rising"

Storyline

When a band of ruthless hijackers invade the world's most luxurious cruise ship, they're shocked to discover the passengers have mysteriously vanished! But that doesn't mean they are alone! Something terrifying is lurking just out of sight: a deadly force from the unexplored depths of the ocean that begins to snatch the horrified intruders one by one! Written by Greg Kleiner <LtJGBrewer@aol.com>

A better than average thriller. It's at least worth watching twice.:)

I wanted to included these two on our Cruise Movie Master List. I didn't realize Deep Rising was set aboard a luxury liner, thought it was a battleship, will have to watch it sometime soon. Thanks BeachBum53.

2.) Juggernaut

3.) The Lady Eve

4.) Out to Sea

6.) Now Voyager

7.) A Night at the Opera

8.) Ship of Fools

9.) The Legend of 1900

10.) A Night to Remember

11.) Titanic

12.) Dangerous Crossing

13.) Carry On Cruising

14.) Death on the Nile

15.) The Cat's Meow

16.) Shall We Dance

17.) Boat Trip

18.) Bitter Moon

19.) The Last Voyage

20.) Love Affair

21.) Chipwrecked

23.) Poseidon

25.) Royal Wedding

27.) Lifeboat

28.) Captain's Table

29.) Promises, Promises

30.) Ghost Ship

31.) Goliath Awaits

32.) The Perfect Storm

33.) The Magic Christian

34.) Table for Five

36.) Dodsworth

37.) Titanic II

38.) Speed 2

39.) After the Sunset

40.) The Last of Sheila

41.) Captain Ron

42.) Overboard

43.) Assault on a Queen

44.) Between Two Worlds

45.) Outward Bound

47.) Wall-E

48.) Stowaway

49.) The Fifth Element

50.) Deep Rising

51.) Chupacabra Terror

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

I came across "Maiden Voyage: Ocean Hijack":

Maiden Voyage: Ocean Hijack (2004)

Casper Van Dien stars in this action-packed thriller as Kyle Considine, a former Special Forces officer who must use all his elite skills to stop hijackers from blowing up a cruise ship with innocent passengers -- including his son Zach (Anton Tennet). Hired to evaluate onboard security, Considine teams up with the ship's security officer, Lynne Fabrizio (Danielle Cormack), when terrorists turn the vessel into a floating time bomb.

Edited by jmf123

I must admit, if we are mentioning Wall-E, why not the Dr. Who version of "Voyage of the Dammed" with the space cruiser Titanic!

I must admit, if we are mentioning Wall-E, why not the Dr. Who version of "Voyage of the Dammed" with the space cruiser Titanic!

I have actually seen this episode, my wife is an avid fan of the series and I rather enjoyed this space cruise story. Thanks for adding this to list, I will include in our sub-category TV Films and Episodes dealing with Cruise Ships.

This marks the second television episode with the same name, Frasier being the other.

2.) The Love Boat

3.) The Love Boat II

5.) Shackleton

14.) Dr. Who - Voyage of the Damned

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

I came across "Maiden Voyage: Ocean Hijack":

Maiden Voyage: Ocean Hijack (2004)

Casper Van Dien stars in this action-packed thriller as Kyle Considine, a former Special Forces officer who must use all his elite skills to stop hijackers from blowing up a cruise ship with innocent passengers -- including his son Zach (Anton Tennet). Hired to evaluate onboard security, Considine teams up with the ship's security officer, Lynne Fabrizio (Danielle Cormack), when terrorists turn the vessel into a floating time bomb.

I only just caught your post Jmf123, will add this film to the television list, thanks for posting.

2.) The Love Boat

3.) The Love Boat II

5.) Shackleton

14.) Dr. Who - Voyage of the Damned

15.) Maiden Voyage: Ocean Hijack

Jonathan

• 7 months later...

Just discovered another terrific little cruise ship film gem last night. Pursuit to Algiers is a classic entry in the Sherlock Holmes series starring Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. The plot involves Holmes and Watson delivering the soon to be king back to his home in Algiers following the murder of his father.

The mystery plot presents a fine crew of suspects, red herrings and suspense all of which plays out along the fog shrouded decks of an ocean liner bound for Alexandria.

Almost the entirety of this 65 minute film takes place aboard the S.S. Friesland of the Swedish African Line. The Friesland was a real ship built at the Clyde in Scotland where many great liners like the Queen Elizabeth 2 were born.

Pursuit to Algiers is a great little film, particularly if you love cruise ships, there is a wonderful ambience and classic feel to the ship board scenes, which include segments inside cabins, along the promenade deck, room service, in the smoking room, main dining room with English Poppers and funny hats. Put in your Netflix cue and curl up with a hot cocoa. It was just the right tonic to spice up the two-day countdown until we board Quantum on Friday.

2.) Juggernaut

3.) The Lady Eve

4.) Out to Sea

6.) Now Voyager

7.) A Night at the Opera

8.) Ship of Fools

9.) The Legend of 1900

10.) A Night to Remember

11.) Titanic

12.) Dangerous Crossing

13.) Carry On Cruising

14.) Death on the Nile

15.) The Cat's Meow

16.) Shall We Dance

17.) Boat Trip

18.) Bitter Moon

19.) The Last Voyage

20.) Love Affair

21.) Chipwrecked

23.) Poseidon

25.) Royal Wedding

27.) Lifeboat

28.) Captain's Table

29.) Promises, Promises

30.) Ghost Ship

31.) Goliath Awaits

32.) The Perfect Storm

33.) The Magic Christian

34.) Table for Five

36.) Dodsworth

37.) Titanic II

38.) Speed 2

39.) After the Sunset

40.) The Last of Sheila

41.) Captain Ron

42.) Overboard

43.) Assault on a Queen

44.) Between Two Worlds

45.) Outward Bound

47.) Wall-E

48.) Stowaway

49.) The Fifth Element

50.) Deep Rising

51.) Chupacabra Terror

52.) Maiden Voyage -Ocean Hijack

53.) Pursuit to Algiers - Sherlock Holmes classic with Rathbone & Bruce

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

I just love The Final Countdown, even though it's Navy-based. Also Operation Petticoat with Cary Grant and Tony Curtis.

A Night to Remember with Kenneth More is by far the best of the Titanic films IMO.

I saw the original Poseidon Adventure in the cinema several times when I was a kid; just loved it. The remake, Poseidon, was okay, and the special effects were great, apart from the glaring error in the placement of the moon when the wave is about to hit the ship.