What are your Favorite Cruise Ship Movies?

cruiserking

...there's a British television show is it Keeping Up Appearances where the lady misses the QE2...

I remember that. Her sister Daisy and brother-in-law Onslow won a trip on the same ship in a luxury suite, without Hyacinth knowing it, as I recall.

Here's some info on the Lucy episode called "Boy Voyage" -- http://ultimateilovelucy.wikia.com/wiki/Bon_Voyage

and this: http://www.answers.com/topic/i-love-lucy-bon-voyage-tv-episode

Edited by Jimnbigd

I only mentioned three films in my list, Titanic is decent just not one of my all-time favorites.

I have just remembered a couple of other cruise film chestnuts has anyone seen either of these?

Death on the Nile: a wonderful Agatha Christie whodunit set aboard a river boat steaming up the Nile with Peter Ustinov turning in a marvelous portrayal of Hercule Poirot.

The Cat's Meow: - great little true-life mystery of the murder of film mogul William Ince aboard William Randolph Hearsts' sumptuous yacht circa 1924, directed by Peter Bogdanovich and terrific cast including Eddie Izard as Charlie Chaplin.

Cruise Critics Favorite Cruise Ship Films - 2014

1.) The Poseidon Adventure

2.) Juggernaut

3.) The Lady Eve

4.) Out to Sea

5.) An Affair to Remember

6.) Now Voyager

7.) A Night at the Opera

8.) Ship of Fools

9.) The Legend of 1900

10.) A Night to Remember

11.) Titanic

12.) Dangerous Crossing

13.) Carry On Cruising

14.) Death on the Nile

15.) The Cat's Meow

Jonathan

I love your number 5..... An Affair to Remember.

A real tear jerker. Wonderful movie. :)

My vote is for 1960's "The Last Voyage," which was filmed aboard the French Line's Ile de France before she was scrapped. The storyline is a bit hokey, but the special effects are very good. Contrary to what was reported in filming, they did not sink the ship in filming the movie - they flooded portions to make it look as if she was sinking.

I remember that. Her sister Daisy and brother-in-law Onslow won a trip on the same ship in a luxury suite, without Hyacinth knowing it, as I recall.

Here's some info on the Lucy episode called "Boy Voyage" -- http://ultimateilovelucy.wikia.com/wiki/Bon_Voyage

and this: http://www.answers.com/topic/i-love-lucy-bon-voyage-tv-episode

Thanks for the great Lucy information Jim, well done.

There is a great one on a TA crossing with Fred Astaire. Can't remember the name.

Is the name of it Shall We Dance?

I see that part of that film takes place on a New York bound steamer.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Roman Polanski's Bitter Moon starring Peter Coyote, Hugh Grant and Kirsten Scott Thomas.It may not be the best movie set on a cruise ship, but I guarantee it's the sexiest.

Excellent, a cruise ship film I've not heard of yet. The name sounds familiar but, I had no idea it takes place on a ship. I just watched the trailer on youtube and looks interesting and a bit strange, will have to try and rent it, thanks Downdie.

My vote is for 1960's "The Last Voyage," which was filmed aboard the French Line's Ile de France before she was scrapped. The storyline is a bit hokey, but the special effects are very good. Contrary to what was reported in filming, they did not sink the ship in filming the movie - they flooded portions to make it look as if she was sinking.

That's another great film with Robert Stack, saw that a few years ago. Agree on the hokey stuff, but, neat effects. That's the first I'd ever heard that they did not sink the ship for the picture, glad to hear it, because part of me was a bit annoyed that the film makers could do such a callous thing.

Jonathan

While I like "An Affair to Remember", I prefer the original called "Love Affair" from 1939.

"http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031593/

I've not seen this film either, thanks AKman. Have just added to my movie cue. It was apparently remade in 1994 with Warren Beatty and Annette Bening, but, received less than stellar reviews.

2.) Juggernaut

3.) The Lady Eve

4.) Out to Sea

6.) Now Voyager

7.) A Night at the Opera

8.) Ship of Fools

9.) The Legend of 1900

10.) A Night to Remember

11.) Titanic

12.) Dangerous Crossing

13.) Carry On Cruising

14.) Death on the Nile

15.) The Cat's Meow

16.) Shall We Dance

17.) Boat Trip

18.) Bitter Moon

19.) The Last Voyage

20.) Love Affair

Jonathan

Chipwrecked :) Alvin and the Chipmunks on Carnival Dream. What can I say....I have little kids!! And it was cute....

:o I had to do some cooking things about half though so have to admit I watched it again the next day when the grandchildren were traveling back home. It was cute.

LuLu

~~~~

cruiserking, I can't tell you how many times I've seen The Poseidon Adventure since the first time in the 70s, lol! Have you seen Beyond the Poseidon Adventure? (1979). I love Titanic. I enjoyed Out to Sea and have a movie poster of it. Love those grumpy old men- Lemmon and Matthau!

I'm looking forward to seeing All is Lost (Robert Redford) that came out last fall. After a collision with a shipping container at sea, a resourceful sailor finds himself, despite all efforts to the contrary, staring his mortality in the face- after waking to find his 39-foot yacht taking on water. It got good reviews.

Thank you for this fun thread! :D

cruiserking, I can't tell you how many times I've seen The Poseidon Adventure since the first time in the 70s, lol! Have you seen Beyond the Poseidon Adventure? (1979). I love Titanic. I enjoyed Out to Sea and have a movie poster of it. Love those grumpy old men- Lemmon and Matthau!

I'm looking forward to seeing All is Lost (Robert Redford) that came out last fall. After a collision with a shipping container at sea, a resourceful sailor finds himself, despite all efforts to the contrary, staring his mortality in the face- after waking to find his 39-foot yacht taking on water. It got good reviews.

Thank you for this fun thread! :D

My pleasure Jmf123. I love movies and ships in movies, what could be better?;)

Same here I've seen the Poseidon Adventure about 50 times, I have a special commemorative dvd with interviews and featurettes. I've loved that movie since I first saw on the big when I was about eight or nine.

I did see Beyond the Poseidon Adventure and it was pretty miserable, the book was very good. I still recall the pathetic scene with Michael Caine's boat being tossed at sea and it just looked like somebody was hurling buckets of water for the rough seas effect.

Did you ever catch the Poseidon Adventure remake Poseidon, with Kurt Russel and Richard Dreyfuss?

I really liked it, very suspenseful, cgi of the ship was incredible, a great white knuckle adventure. The original was filmed aboard Queen Mary. Poseidon based it's Main Dining room of the Britannia Dining room aboard the Queen Mary 2.

I have heard of the new Redford film All is Lost, definitely want to catch it, sound like a great adventure.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

2.) Juggernaut

3.) The Lady Eve

4.) Out to Sea

6.) Now Voyager

7.) A Night at the Opera

8.) Ship of Fools

9.) The Legend of 1900

10.) A Night to Remember

11.) Titanic

12.) Dangerous Crossing

13.) Carry On Cruising

14.) Death on the Nile

15.) The Cat's Meow

16.) Shall We Dance

17.) Boat Trip

18.) Bitter Moon

19.) The Last Voyage

20.) Love Affair

21.) Chipwrecked

22.) Beyond the Poseidon Adventure

23.) Poseidon

Jonathan

Thanks OarToOar. That's from a British series of films, the Carry On films, looked for it on Netflix but, not available, will keep my eyes peeled.

2.) Juggernaut

3.) The Lady Eve

4.) Out to Sea

6.) Now Voyager

7.) A Night at the Opera

8.) Ship of Fools

9.) The Legend of 1900

10.) A Night to Remember

11.) Titanic

12.) Dangerous Crossing

13.) Carry On Cruising

Jonathan

Never been on a ship before and am wondering if they will be showing the Grammy's on the big screen on Sun 26 Jan or is it strictly movies?

Edited by kanadakid

Kenneth Branagh plays Ernest Shackleton, the explorer whose ship became frozen in on a Antarctic expedition in the early 1900's.

Definitely not camp but harrowing and inspiring.

Thanks for adding this to the list Bookish Angel, will have to catch this sometime. I guess I'll have to start a separate television sub category.

Cruise Critics Favorite Television Cruise Ship Episodes.

1.) I Love Lucy - Bon Voyage

2.) The Love Boat

3.) Keeping Up Appearances - Sea Fever

4.) Shackleton

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Thanks for the great Lucy information Jim, well done.

Is the name of it Shall We Dance?

I see that part of that film takes place on a New York bound steamer.

Jonathan

No, they were going to England for the Royal Wedding. Wait, that's it!

Royal Wedding!