1st time Cruiser/Solo

EricaLynnP

Hi all!

I am planning my first cruise this year for my 40th. I will be traveling solo and single, as no one has any money to come with me. I am a bit nervous as I will be traveling in early June. I imagine that mostly retired individuals and/or couples take cruises, so I don't want to be the odd-woman out at the dinner table. I am a bit shy, I won't approach people directly, but happy to interact with others in activities. (which is funny as I give presentations for my job constantly)

So far only Norwegian is offering cruises to Hawaii during my selected dates of early June. I am open to suggestions of destinations of sun and sand.

Any words of wisdom? Or precautions? All is info is welcome

If you are set on Hawaii, the Pride of America has a very limited number of studio cabins if your looking for value. Most of my solo cruises have been on the NCL ships with studio lounges because I feel like they got it right. My biggest fear is dinner, or should I say eating dinner alone. That's why I prefer fixed dining. But that, too, has drawbacks. So ask the maître d to sit with others. I was supposed to go yo Hawaii in April, but my cousin backed out, so I'm not even sure I'll look for others to cruise with me in the future. :) As a solo, you can do what you want! It's freeing!

So ask the maître d to sit with others.

On an NCL ship, a solo cannot count on sitting with others. Sure, you can ask the maître d or hostess to seat you with others, but what happened to me was that they would look at me as if I had three heads, because no one had ever asked them before to be seated with others, and they cautiously said that if anyone else came into the dining room and said "We want to eat with strangers!" they would be seated with me, but it never happened. And as soon as I sat down, the waiter or busboy would immediately grab all of the other dishes and silverware off the table, even though I said that someone else might get seated with me. They already knew that no one would be seated with me.

Iwould consider the companionship of a singles group cruise. Now 3 cruise agencies do them.Do a search online.Theres an over 40 one on Caribbean Princess June 14 out of Ft Lauderdale.They find you a same sex cabinmate or you can pay double(like if you decide to go on your own).You dine together nitely. Other activities and a cocktail party or two.Nice mid range ship, better than the budget ones.Probably 100-200 singles in a singles group.

I've done 2 cruises solo now, and had (have) many of the same concerns. For me, the fixed dining is a definite plus. I liked having the same tablemates each night. Even though we didn't seem like we fit at first, in short order it was a very pleasant, comfortable group.

On my last cruise, I booked late and couldn't get into the late fixed seating (and just can't eat dinner at 6:00!), so did the select/anytime dining. The first night, the maitre d' did look puzzled when I asked to sit with others. They sat me alone at a table for 2. Of course, that table was about 6 inches from two other tables for two, so when those tables were filled (within about 10 minutes), we were pretty much at a table for 6 :) Still not my preference, but it worked. And then as you meet people through the cruise, you might end up dining with them (if you choose). Also check the roll call .. might find like-minded friends before you know it!

I've never cruised in June, so not much help with destinations. I think that's a big time for Europe (and Med cruises are AWESOME!).

And you'll be surprised at how many single folks and non-couples take cruises! If you make up your mind to enjoy yourself, you will. Happy birthday!