What to do ..Rent Electric car or Hop on Hop off Trolley

BonnyNJ

This is our first time visiting Key West and we would like to tour the area and stop off at a few famous places along the way. We are considering renting an electric car for 4 adults for $125. We are wondering if we should take the hop on hop off trolley instead because I'm told its hard to find parking and you have to pay for parking wherever you go.

Any suggestions and opinions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

My vote is the car!! It's a kick! We had a blast ... didn't have any problems parking and went ALL over the island .... it was a blast! Would definitely do it again! Whatever you do, have fun, Key West is such a cool place! :)

We've been to Key West several times. We are opting for the scooter rental this time as it is only $55 for 5 hours for a 2 person scooter. Since my DH is a good driver this will be perfect. We have rented bicycles there before but as we are getting older and I am recovering from foot surgery, we decided this was the best option.

We've been to Key West several times. We are opting for the scooter rental this time as it is only $55 for 5 hours for a 2 person scooter. Since my DH is a good driver this will be perfect. We have rented bicycles there before but as we are getting older and I am recovering from foot surgery, we decided this was the best option.

dang

• 3 weeks later...

We drove into Key west last week, and parking is horrible! Very expensive or a hike from Duval street. We took the hop on hop off city trolley, and it worked out perfectly...It took us every where we wanted to go. I just posted on our blog, and there are quite a few pictures, and suggestions of what to do.

http://karanandmichael.blogspot.com/

Feel free to take a look....

I would take a tour. Not only can you leave the driving and parking to someone else, there really is a lot to see in Key West. It's rich history, foliage and architecture makes the island very special. Leave the driving and parking to someone else and have fun!

IIRC each trolley tour is 90 minutes long. If you did this first it would give you a pretty good overview of the island and allow you enough time to go back to an area that looked interesting. If you rent an e-car and don't know where you are going, small as Key West is, you'd still wander around quite a bit and probably waste some of your limited time.

Pjk

• 3 weeks later...
I would also recommend a trolley tour over an electric car. Our streets are narrow and can be confusing with dead ends and one way streets. Parking can also be a problem. Relax and let the trolley driver do the work!

I agree, the trolley was really nice, plus you get a guide who gives you the history of Key West, along with humorous comments...:D