Celebrity Packages Hotels

Cruzinram

Anyone had recent experience with a Celebrity Rome Pre or post package hotel. We want to do the Relection Trans in April with three nights post cruise in Rome.I spoke with Celebrity yesterday but they are able to give me the choice of hotels in Rome yet. Who do they usually use and why are they not able to I'd them yet.

Are you SURE you want to do a package? You will pay dearly, and from what I have read, the hotels they use are not located where you want to be. Remember that since they charge per person, the cost for the hotel is double what you would pay on your own.

I am looking at this cruise too. There are tons of suggestions for good and reasonably priced hotels in the 'Centro Storico', which puts you in walking distance to every major site. Of course there are no large hotels located in this ancient and built-out area, so they have to put you in hotels out of the way. We stayed in a lovely small hotel last April that was 5 minutes walk from the Pantheon/Piazza Navona/Campo di Fiori/Forum for E175/night including breakfast, as an example.

Of course to each his own, I'm just throwing out the idea that it's easy and much more economical to do on your own.

Edited to add: we joined with others on our roll call in a shared van from the port right to our hotel for E25/pp

Edited by CathyCruises

Thanks! Never looked at that way. Planning this trip is driving me crazy trying to save as much as can. I will check roll call. The package does include a beverage package and attractions card that includes all public Trans. Guess that is worth something. Thanks again

Thanks! Never looked at that way. Planning this trip is driving me crazy trying to save as much as can. I will check roll call. The package does include a beverage package and attractions card that includes all public Trans. Guess that is worth something. Thanks again

That is probably the Roma Pass, which you can buy anywhere. And honestly, if you are in the right hotel, you won't need the public transport! We have been to Rome multiple times, and the only time we used the buses was when our hotel was in the wrong spot, which was near the main train station, Termini. Many people think that's a good spot because it's close to the train but we have learned that it's the more inconvenient spot, and if you need to get to Termini, you can do so for the cost of a quick cab ride. And the metro in Rome is very limited, just two crisscrossing lines, so it's really not of much use either.

On our last trip we just walked everywhere. That's a big part of the fun anyway!

If you do go, the places that cost money are the Colosseum/Forum tour (combined ticket), Galleria Borghese, the Vatican Museums (basilica is free), and our favorite, Capitoline Museum at the Campidoglio. Almost all of the churches that house great treasures are free, as are most of the monuments and favorite tourist spots like the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, etc.

Hope this helps somewhat. The Italy boards are an absolute wealth of knowledge.

We reviewed our total trip cost that we put together over the last few days, and it doesn't seem to matter whether we take a package or plan everything ourselves, the total trip cost is virtually the same. So, not sure if you would actually pay double the daily hotel rate using a package. The beverage package will save us some when you consider the total trip cost. We normally drink over a 16 night trip about three bottles of wine at dinner and usually have a drink or beer along the way. We are Elites, so we get plenty of wine during the cruise. I am concerned about Hotel location though. Not knowing before making the reservation concerns me. I'll check out the Italy site. thanks again everyone. Our first trip to Italy and trying hard to get it right.

In my experience in looking into the pre/post cruise hotels, they are normally significantly more expensive than figuring things out yourself.

On our most recent trip, we stayed at the Hotel Metropolis for 3 days prior to our transatlantic cruises this fall on Silhouette. The hotel was fairly centrally located, within walking distance of the Vatican and extremely close to the metro for longer trips (About a block or so away). We walked for the most part, as everything in Rome is fairly close together and you get to see so many more interesting sites and features that you would have missed. We used Rome Cabs to get from the airport and to ship, they are a bit pricey, but well worth it. I have heard other people have had good luck with taking the train between Civitavecchia and Rome.

My one experience with using X hotels was when I was required to use their hotel in Barcelona. It was about $250/night/pp. It was in an inconvenient area, and we were assigned a tiny room overlooking the air conditioners.

The next time we went, we booked on our own, a fantastic hotel exactly where we wanted to be, and we got a deluxe room with a great view for $300/night.

That's why I mentioned it. Can you only get the beverage plan with the package deal? Since we are also Elite, we drink very little additional during the cruise other than an occasional pina colada by the pool. We found that the drink coupons you would almost certainly get on a TA were perfect for us--used the third one for a glass of wine to carry into dinner!

Have a great cruise whatever you decide!!

Update. We booked a package deal saving 800.00 pp over the Celebrity package for virtually the same thing. Reflection T/A, three nights in Rome, Air and all transfers. The hotel is priced half pp in the package. We had to purchase an extra night lodging that was 125.00 pp or 250.00 total usd. So, if you purchase a package, you are not paying double for the lodging. I could have saved a little by buying my own hotel room, maybe 50.00 or so, but I think we will be more than satisfied with what we have. Plus, I don't have to spend hours pouring over prices, reviews etc. Excited and ready to go.

Friends and I were booked into the Crowne Plaza option as part of our pre-cruise package. Underwhelmed with hotel and the location was not convenient if you wanted to get out and walk around.

We had arranged for some independent touring with Manilo Tranquilli (Limousine Service in Rome) for all our pre-days so he at least picked us up and got us around. But, when we were dropped back off in the evenings, we just stayed at the hotel. We went late fall (November 2011) so it was dark by the time we had ended each day and we didn't feel confident trying to navigate around ourselves.

K