just back from the Grandeur

mrsb

Some observations from our cruise (7/8 sailing):

1. Wonderful service! We only met up with one crew member (lunch in the dining room one day) who was not pleasant.

2. We enjoyed the food--and have the weight gain to show for it. The offerings in the Windjammer can get a little old on a 9-night cruise, but that is to be expected. We found the food in the dining room to be very good, and we were always pleased with the selection (although we heard people who were not). We were very happy with our wait staff (Oscar, Sonny, and Charles), who made sure that our family of 9 was well taken care of.

3. Yes, the ship is showing signs of wear and tear. I noticed it most in the stairways (clean those carpets, please), the pool deck, and in our cabin (JS). Some of the furniture in the public areas needs to be replaced.

4. The main pool is too small. On hot days it was absolutely full of people.

5. We were disappointed to have our stop in Key West cancelled (due to Hurricane Dennis) and excursions cancelled in both the Bahamas (poor visibility under water) and Port Canaveral (security issues since the shuttle hadn't taken off yet)--but realize there is nothing RCCI could do about any of those situations.

6. The best part of the cruise was the fact that we were traveling with family members who we do not get to see often. There were MANY other family groups on board this sailing, and some were not able to sit all together at dinner. (We were originally put at two separate tables, but I was able to get us all moved to one table.) This cruise seemed full of large groups of families/friends.

7. Yes, chair hogs were alive and well on this sailing. By 7:30 or 8 all the chairs surrounding the pool were covered with towels, books, etc..... I did not see any crew members do anything about it. I must admit that most of these chairs did have bodies in them by noon, though.

8. Overall, we had a great cruise because we got to spend 9 days with our family and NO ONE had to do dishes, cook, etc..... I think we would have felt that way no matter which ship we were on or what the itinerary was. That being said, I would probably not rush to book the Grandeur again (we prefer the newer ships) and would not repeat that itinerary. My husband and I went to the meet and mingle, and it was fun to meet a lot of people I had been chatting on line with.

MrsB

We were on the Grandeur May 27 and luckily we visited all our ports but then again, like you said, it was great just being on a cruise and not having to do household chores.

I don't know if you met Edwina, a lady I work with at the M & M, who I was reliving our cruise thru your sailing. I thought I knew where you were at all times. I'll have to call her and get the details.

Happy sailing!

Evie

Archived