Waterspouts common near Grand Cayman?

tripman

I already posted this in the Cayman Islands section with no response, so I figured I'd post it here as well:

Two years ago, we were on a W. Caribbean cruise that stoppend in Grand Cayman. Around 4pm, our ship headed west towards Mexico. At one point, I looked outside and to my surprise, I saw a waterspout. I thought it was just so cool, I have never seen a tornado before.

2 weeks ago, we were on another western caribbean cruise that stopped in Grand Cayman. At the end of the day, we were again to head west towards Mexico. I joked with my wife, "Maybe we'll see another waterspout."

Less than 10 miles or so off the western coast of Grand Cayman...guess what I saw....I couldnt' believe it. Almost the exact same spot, same time of day...and even off the same side of the ship, another waterspout.

So my question is, is this a common thing? Or is it just an amzing coincidence?

Thanks

It has been some time, but we also saw a waterspout at Grand Cayman. It was earlier in the day and we were tendering in to the island

I've been to Grand Cayman 6 times (some cruises, some 2 week vacations) and I have never seen a waterspout. I suppose maybe it has to do with the time of year??? Maybe they are more prevailant during hurrican season. I would LOVE to see one someday. I've heard that you can see them fairly regularly in the Keys, but I've yet to see one. Actually I've seen 7 on Lake Michigan, all in one day, but never in the ocean and never on a cruise! It must have been cool! Did you get any photos?

Mrsfuzzmo

Archived