Shuttle in Boston

kiberkid

We will be a group of 8-10 people staying at a hotel near the airport in Boston & need transportation to the Boston cruise port.

Are they any reputable shuttle companies in Boston that are not super duper expensive, or would a few taxi's be a better option? I am not sure how far it is from the airport to the cruise port.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Embassy Suites is just off property at the airport. I would talk to the hotel and have them call you three cabs to take you to the port which is a quick ride through the Ted Williams Tunnel in the Waterfront area of South Boston. This should cost $25-30 per cab.

IMO you're not going to find "shuttle" transportation that will accommodate 10 people for under $75-90.

However, if you all ride back on the hotel shuttle to the airport, you can all take the Silver Line for free to the Cruiseport. This involves transferring at World Trade Center up and over the tracks via escalator and elevator.

• 3 months later...

Hi Carol

Could you please expand on the 'Silver Line to the Cruiseport'. What is the Silver Line - bus, train, subway? Why is it free - seems to good to be true? What is meant by 'transferring at the World Trade Centre - from where to where?' This sounds like an easy way to get from the airport to the cruiseport, but I need a little more detail. I appreciate any help you can give - Thanks.

The Silver Line is the newest "T" offering that was built to service the South Boston Waterfront area and the airport. It is an articulated bus that goes from South Station to either the airport (SL1) or the Black Falcon terminal(SL2). A while ago they stopped charging fares to folks who board at Logan Airport. I think they did it to speed up the bus's progress around the airport where it stops at all four terminals. Clueless folks boarding the bus with luggage and no tickets or exact change really slowed down the service.

So what you do is to hop on the Silver Line at the airport (lower level for terminals A, B, & C) and ride to the World Trade Center indoor station (not the outside street stop at WTC). Be sure to tell the driver you want to get off there - if no one requests the stop and there are no folks waiting in the station, the bus will go through without stopping. You then take the escalator up to the mezzanine and take the elevator back down to the opposite track where you take the SL2 bus to Black Falcon terminal. If you get off at the street stop, you lose your free fare because you are outside the turnstiles and must pay to get the SL2 bus.

This takes 45 min- 1 hour depending on which terminal you get on at and the transfer time. The SL1 buses have luggage racks - you want to get on at the rear door for easiest access. The SL2 buses do not have racks, but there is space at the back to accommodate luggage next to you.

There is one low step to get on the bus. It is certainly no worse than any rental car shuttle. I used to commute on the Silver Line and I often use it to go to and from Logan Airport from Alewife T Station at the end of the Red Line.