General Alarm @ 2 am-crown princess

cruising deacon

I also was on the crown, and heard the message, I knew it was the drill message, but I couldn't just lay there in bed and NOT get up and look out my balcony and to throw on a sweater and look for someone, saw a man cleaning and he just smiled and said, don't know? What DON"T KNOW?? Come on, finally found someone completly dressed with luggage in tow, But know concern by anyone else, I just waited for Captain to address the situation, still felt uncomfortable going back to bed.

I thought I should clarify one thing. The announcement we heard from the captain took around 15 or 20 min. after the false alarm. He actually came on earlier but the communication system that caused the problem in the first place didn't work. So he used the backup system.

One other thing I should mention, as you can imagine, it was the talk of the ship for the next couple days. We met two people that slept through the announcement and one person that started getting dressed. Everyone else said they recognized it as the embarkation muster announcement and knew it had to be a mistake.

Could this have startled some people? Sure. Unless you were here, you really can't comment on what you would have done. Everyone reacts differently.

I think the majority of the passengers recognize it for what it is and are not worried about Princess being unsafe.

Great post! We were on that cruise and it was fun chatter for awhile. I was also surprised the crew knew nothing about it. Lucky crew - no report to muster announcements in their cabins! Hahaha.

I went to peek in the hallway and chilled out when I saw nobody rushing around. Some people showed at Muster, but they weren't on the Starboard side of the Caribe deck. :-) I think it must have only been a few.

It truly was no big deal. A minor inconvenience. I was up, but my husband woke up and said, "Honey, please turn the TV down!"

LOLOL My response? "I have no power to turn that down!"

I just got off of this cruise, and I can say that a) it was not the same pre-recorded message that they play during the drill, it was the message that they would play in an actual emergency. (The difference is that in the drill they frequently say "had this been an actual emergency..."), but the message was not preceded by the blasts, so most people onboard, although alarmed, assumed that it was not an actual emergency. Like the OP, my wife and I were originally more upset at princess' lack of alerting passengers that it was not an actual emergency, but the captain finally did make an announcement and they made another one the following day and it appears that they did in fact make a quick follow-up announcement, it just didn't go thru because if a malfunction of the equipment. It may just be princess trying to cover their a**, but I tend to believe them and their explanation was adequate for me. It was an alarming few moments, but it certainly didn't dampen the cruise for us at all, and I'll gladly cruise Princess again in the future.

I was on this cruise and not sure what you heard, but it was clearly the same announcement that is used for Muster Drill on the first day of the cruise. As soon as I heard "Welcome aboard" and when he made mention of the emergency signal you just heard, which was not sounded, I knew someone either pressed the wrong button or it was a computer glitch.

It was also playing in the hallways, because I went out to check, so I would imagine some crew members heard it.

I was on this cruise and not sure what you heard, but it was clearly the same announcement that is used for Muster Drill on the first day of the cruise. As soon as I heard "Welcome aboard" and when he made mention of the emergency signal you just heard, which was not sounded, I knew someone either pressed the wrong button or it was a computer glitch.

It was also playing in the hallways, because I went out to check, so I would imagine some crew members heard it.

I agree that the fact that no emergency signal was sounded made the situation less stressful, but the big difference between the message that was played at 2:00am and the message played on the first day of the cruise, as I pointed out in my original post, is that in the drill the message contains the verbiage "had this been a real emergency...", whereas the announcement made at 2:00am contained no such disclaimers.

I agree that the fact that no emergency signal was sounded made the situation less stressful, but the big difference between the message that was played at 2:00am and the message played on the first day of the cruise, as I pointed out in my original post, is that in the drill the message contains the verbiage "had this been a real emergency...", whereas the announcement made at 2:00am contained no such disclaimers. Other than that the message was the same (and in a real emergency would've been the same, with the obvious exception that presumably the emergency signal would also have been sounded).

I agree that the fact that no emergency signal was sounded made the situation less stressful, but the big difference between the message that was played at 2:00am and the message played on the first day of the cruise, as I pointed out in my original post, is that in the drill the message contains the verbiage "had this been a real emergency...", whereas the announcement made at 2:00am contained no such disclaimers. Other than that the message was the same (and in a real emergency would've been the same, with the obvious exception that presumably the emergency signal would also have been sounded).

But one funny story about that incident- after we realized it was a mistake a put out live vests away, we were both wide awake and realized that we wouldn't be able to fall right to sleep, so we went to the only bar open (international cafe), and there were about 20-25 people hanging around the atrium area, most with life vests, and a single lady (without life vest) who ordered a pot of tea and the waiter made us all laugh by pointing out how when everyone else shows up with life vests this woman decides to grab her coffee card instead!...haha

Could always be worse.:p

We had an obstruced balcony on the Carnival Spirit and were late getting off the ship in Cabo. All of the sudden we hear 7 shorts and one long and see someone on the lifeboat outside our cabin. After confirming that, yes, it is a drill he gets on the radio. A few minutes later we hear the announcement.

I was on this cruise as well. It was very shocking at first to wake up to something like this, but as the recording went on it did seem pretty obvious that this was the recording from the first day. I think I remember it even saying something to the effect of "welcome aboard" or other language making it obvious that is was not live. It also stopped part way through so the full message was not played. Yes, I still wondered what in the world was going on and why it was happening but we did not feel that there was any threat of an emergency.