<B> Food On Getaway</B>

triona

Just off The Getaway 14/1/14 now this is what happened to the 6 of us. The good part.We dinned in Tropicana on the Tuesday evening and the service was first class along with the food. Everything was how you would want it to be. We all ate different selections.We left after around three hours feeling very satisfied with the restaurant. Now the bad.Sorry but why can't the Garden have china plates instead of the plastic ones. We decided to have breakfast in Taste (now this is where things went down quickly) two of our party arrived in Taste at 7-45am,we arrived at 8am . Our friends had placed their order as soon as they arrived and had OJ but no tea which were ordered. We sat down for around 15mins and had to ask for the menu. Please note there were only five tables that had to be waited on. We then placed our order. Our teapot of hot water came with a plate covering the top of it instead of a lid. 45 mins later our friends order came with 3 items missing off the plates. Not only that but what was on the plates were not very well presented. I for one have never seen a flat egg that was so paper thin you could see through it.When they asked for breakfasts to be replaced the answer they received was " eat what you have and I will get the missing items in a minuet". Well that just about finished it of. We promptly left. Now I must add our waiter was running around like a headless chicken and if he was inexperienced he really should have been supervised. On an ending note we wanted to try a larger ship and this gave us the opportunity to do so, the ship was lovely but I don't think the larger ships are our cup of tea. Other than that we had a nice time. Please take note this is only our opinion.

Service for breakfast and lunch in any "dining room" has always been slow for us - I think this may be an insentive to stay in the buffet for those meals - if it is, it worked for us:)

Sounds like they have an inexperienced crew on this new ship, I hope that they get their acts together before we board in Sept. You did the right thing - if you get bad service in any of the dining rooms, just leave. But make sure to alert the hotess on the way out so that your table can be marked as available, and to let them know right then what the problem was. It helps them work out the "kinks."

Big ships are not for everyone, I have talked to a lot of people onboard that just don't like them. Big or small, we like them all:)

Did you ever discuss the situation with the maiter'd or hostess or Hotel Mgr. or even reception. If you don't complain on board then there is point complaining when you get home because by the time the complaint makes it back to ship it's watered down.

Things like this happen all the time in the service industry and I'm sure this is not the first time you've had an issue in a restaurant.

And I certainly wouldn't write off a ship/or cruise line for such petty an issue.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the rest of your cruise andI qgree that the large ships are not for everyone.

We Had tried the Epic and hated the crowds but had excellent service all around and we only ate in the specialty restaurants which we always do and the the service was over the top.

Did you ever discuss the situation with the maiter'd or hostess or Hotel Mgr. or even reception. If you don't complain on board then there is point complaining when you get home because by the time the complaint makes it back to ship it's watered down.

Things like this happen all the time in the service industry and I'm sure this is not the first time you've had an issue in a restaurant.

And I certainly wouldn't write off a ship/or cruise line for such petty an issue.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the rest of your cruise andI qgree that the large ships are not for everyone.

We Had tried the Epic and hated the crowds but had excellent service all around and we only ate in the specialty restaurants which we always do and the the service was over the top.

Yes we did complain when we left the restaurant to the hostess. It was such a shame to end what was an enjoyable time.

When they asked for breakfasts to be replaced the answer they received was " eat what you have and I will get the missing items in a minuet".

And you say "No thank you I would like the breakfasts replaced please (and you look at her name badge) Daisy".

Our cruise on Epic in October and we got terrible service in Taste - so bad we got up, told the hostess that we were leaving, and went to the other included restaurant. By the time we were seated and had our drinks, both the head of hotel and food service showed up at our table offering free wine, drinks, etc. and wanted a detailed account of our experience at Taste. We recently cruised again on Epic and ate at Taste - this time the service was as expected.

They really can't fix a problem unless they are told there is a problem. I am sure that for this new sailing they are taking lots of notes. Your comments were heard.

To the OP, I really wouldn't base my opinion of a cruise line on a one night cruise on a ship that is brand new and with a staff just getting settled in. Your comment about the plastic plates in the buffet gave me pause....for the life of me I can't remember if this is the norm or not. If so, I guess it did not make an impression either way for me.

It sounds like there were some things you did like. Hope you give them another try sometime. Things like this can happen even on smaller ships.

I find it interesting in reading the reviews of European passengers in regard to the food on NCL, which I am sure is set up to appeal to the USA market. One poster talked about the strange sausages on the buffet, but he did have a sense of humor about it. And now you complaining about the appearance of a fried egg.:confused:. I will try to remember this if I am ever lucky enough to travel in Europe! No complaining about those strange biscuits!

<snip>

I find it interesting in reading the reviews of European passengers in regard to the food on NCL, which I am sure is set up to appeal to the USA market. One poster talked about the strange sausages on the buffet, but he did have a sense of humor about it. And now you complaining about the appearance of a fried egg.:confused:. I will try to remember this if I am ever lucky enough to travel in Europe! No complaining about those strange biscuits!

Strange is not the word to describe the sausages - and as for the bacon...:eek:

Fortunately they usually have the ham-like stuff which is just about acceptable as a substitute for proper bacon. 'Biscuits' and Gravy - I just walk quickly by...:rolleyes:

No Marmite or marmalade for toast - that is also a sad omission.

This.

And if you were bothered enough by this to post on CC and write off a ship or line your choosing ti only remark to the hostess was not enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Sorry but you have miss understood my comments, I have not wrote the ship or line off . I have bothered to remark on cc what we found on our stay with Getaway,and as I said this is my opinion.

And you say "No thank you I would like the breakfasts replaced please (and you look at her name badge) Daisy".

They might have done if we wouldn't have had to wait so long again.My DH and myself had not even received our breakfast, so when our friends meal came and we looked at theirs we thought we would give it a miss.As I said before there were parts of our stay that we really enjoyed and I hope that what we found wrong will be put to right in the very near future.