Do I need a car Rental in Seward?

rjeffler

We are cruising Radiance our of Seward on 06/06/14. Arriving Seward by train from Anchorage on 06/04/14. We have hotel reservations at the Holiday Inn, Seward both nights. Have a deep sea fishing tour scheduled on 06/05 leaving from the docks right behind the hotel. Boarding the boat on 06/06. We will need to be able to pick up some food/drink for the deep sea fishing and visit Sea Life Center as well. Do we need a rental car? Is the boat dock (for the Radiance) really that close to the train/Holiday Inn?

Seward is very small. It's about 2 miles from the harbor to the downtown area. A taxi might cost $8. There's a Safeway grocery store only a few blocks from the harbor.

In the past, the town has provided a free shuttle around town.

Even if you wanted to visit Exit Glacier which is about 15 miles from town, there's a shuttle for $10pp ( offered by Exit Glacier Guides).

So no, you don't need a car, but I guess that depends on your mobility level.

Shuttle schedule and town map can be found on the town web site:

http://www.sewardchamber.org/visit-seward/

I agree, I don't think you'll need a car. Use a local taxi service, or if the weather is nice walk. It's a neat little town to explore. You've picked a great spot to stay. We really enjoyed going down to the dock to see what people were bringing in off the fishing boats each day.