Back to MSC *after another Carnival - booked Divina May 3 :)

sharecruises

Let's try to clarify this issue. Smart jeans would be OK on deck on Divina, and even at lunch in the MDRs. However, dinner is special, and jeans are not recommended. Will one "get away with" wearing jeans at dinner? Yes. But that is not the point. It would be a shame to dilute the elegance of a fine dining experience for others. And, it would be more than a bit irresponsible to recommend to others that "jeans are OK" at dinner in the MDRs, at least on MSC. That is one aspect that elevates MSC above Carnival.

Dilute a fine dining experience for others?! Seriously?

No one sitting at another table affects your dining experience!

If the cruise line says its OK, its OK!

My suggestion to you is if it bothers your dining experience, ignore it, or order room service into your cabin!

I've found its not what people wear to dinner that offends me, its loud, obnoxious behavior, but I live with it just as you will have to cause I don't want to eat in my cabin!

We are sailing on the same cruise as you are Esty. Looking forward to meeting you! Jerome and I will be bringing our Tuxedo for the first Gala night as we love to dress up. For the second Gala night we will be wearing dark suits. We loved the White Hot Parties on NCL, so we are looking forward to wearing white on the night The Divina has it. Plus, there are two more fun bonuses. The Italian Night....and boy, a do I have Red, Green and White outfit to wear. Then the 60's-80's night. Disco Diva all the way!

We look forward to having so much fun on all our cruise adventures, even tho they are much talked about on the boards! :D

Looking forward to having a fun time with you!

You really know how to do it up. :)

The white party was ok. All kinds of Miami type music, quite a few people had white on. The party is on the pool deck. Very cool.

Second formal I thought dinner offering was so much better. Lostah (Boston accent) big ole shrimp and scallops. Filet of beef. I made it surf and turf.

Edited by Bosjoe

Let's try to clarify this issue. Smart jeans would be OK on deck on Divina, and even at lunch in the MDRs. However, dinner is special, and jeans are not recommended. Will one "get away with" wearing jeans at dinner? Yes. But that is not the point. It would be a shame to dilute the elegance of a fine dining experience for others. And, it would be more than a bit irresponsible to recommend to others that "jeans are OK" at dinner in the MDRs, at least on MSC. That is one aspect that elevates MSC above Carnival.

Dilute a fine dining experience for others?! Seriously?

No one sitting at another table affects your dining experience!

If the cruise line says its OK, its OK!

My suggestion to you is if it bothers your dining experience, ignore it, or order room service into your cabin!

I've found its not what people wear to dinner that offends me, its loud, obnoxious behavior, but I live with it just as you will have to cause I don't want to eat in my cabin!

Russian Bear, you, Esty and I are on the same sailing in May. I am sure that MSC won't care one bit about who has what on, for what night, as long as it's presentable and acceptable to their standards they have set. The very idea of just wearing a pair of "Jeans" brings to mind me wearing a pair of some Faded, Uncouth, Unkempt, Dirty, Filled with Holes, 20 year old Levis with me perhaps also wearing dime store flip flops on Gala Night. Personally, unless I were at my own home and not going out, I would not wear any such thing. That's what the mere mention of "Jeans" means to some folks.

Today, Jeans are incredibly fashionable, even worn to the Oscars.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not one bit The Shipboard Fashion Police or a Fashionista Enforcer. For us, we personally just love to dress up and could care less what anyone else chooses to wear. We plan on wearing our Tuxedos on the first Gala Night, because that is what we have done for 24 years and we enjoy it.

And yes, I have been known to flaunt, once or twice in the MDR, a pair of extraordinary Versace Jeans, though you would never have known they were Jeans, what with their color and pattern of stitching, along with my Metal Versace Belt, Prada Shoes and Bulgari Shirt. Okay, so I can be a Gay Diva!

I think that what the OP was trying to say was that it would not be very tactful to ignore the stated, requested dress codes and wear, say a pair of Levi's with holes in them or worn out faded and dirty Lee Jeans that were simply not appropriate.

I do know of a whole world of Jeans that would pass for semi-formal wear and would be completely acceptable, and I would defy someone to tell me that they were jeans. But there is an acceptable line that can be crossed, and as this is the first year that this European Cruise Line is sailing in the American Waters, it's perhaps believing in a different mentality.

See, this cruise line is not Carnival or NCL and does not pro-port to be so. They want to compete yes, in price comparability, but also keeping up with a certain standard they, the Cruise Line, have already set for themselves. This, I suspect, may not bode well for certain types of people in the American market, and that is why there are other choices.

I believe that MSC may actually be going for a certain Niche Market here. We shall see. Already, the prices for next year are considerably higher than this year. So maybe they are not competing with Carnival after all, maybe it's Celebrity, where there is a more formal cruising atmosphere. The prices worked for us in getting us to book a cruise with them, but we are whole heartedly Celebrity Cruise Line Clients. But Jerome and I were anxious to try out MSC.

I, as a passenger, not just because I am paying for our fare, should not ignore the requests and policies made by the cruise line I am traveling on. I still must abide by, and frankly, are obligated by the passenger contract, and also I have to respect the requests of the cruise line that they have set in place. Although, No one person should be made to feel uncomfortable, however, No one person should be able to change the rules and requests that a company has asked me to abide by. That being presented, it is up to the cruise line to enforce the rules that they themselves have set. It is also up to me whether or not I want to travel with them.

I agree with you. Wear what you want. If that's what you feel is right and is comfortable for you, I am not one to ever dissuade anyone. I just know what makes me feel comfortable. That's what makes my vacation successful. Jeans, Schmeans.

In St Maarten, The Sunset Bar at Maho Beach asks that women go topless while sitting at the bar, and they will be rewarded with free drinks. Not many take them up on it. Now there's a dress code many men would want followed, I am sure!

However, that also being said, if someone insists on looking like a pig or a slob in the MDR, so be it, if the cruise line allows it, that's on them. And even better, that makes me look all the more fabulous and wonderful!

Edited by cruiseguys2009

My husband and I along with his sister and her husband are wanting to plan a Mediterranean cruise. First time for all of us, we usually cruise the Caribbean. We will probably end up planning it for Sept 2015 we wish it could be this year. We're financially on a strict budget bc of kids in college so we are trying to balance a great experience with the best $$ value. I am trying to research MSC, y'all are saying some good things about them. Has anyone cruised with MSC in the Mediterranean? Royal Caribbean looks good too.

~L2STammy

My husband and I along with his sister and her husband are wanting to plan a Mediterranean cruise. First time for all of us, we usually cruise the Caribbean. We will probably end up planning it for Sept 2015 we wish it could be this year. We're financially on a strict budget bc of kids in college so we are trying to balance a great experience with the best $$ value. I am trying to research MSC, y'all are saying some good things about them. Has anyone cruised with MSC in the Mediterranean? Royal Caribbean looks good too.

~L2STammy

I've done 18 nights (2 cruises) in the med on MSC and I'm a big fan (although I only have experience of MSC, Costa and Fred Olsen) I would say the atmosphere on board is very laid back, the service is more European in that you won't be hassled every 2 minutes if you want a drink, instead you'll need to catch a servers eye.

Dinner is the full 7 courses (if you want it) and can take 2 hours, or even longer. Dress standards is a big conversation piece. I dress in shirt and tie as a minimum, but only because I want to. Smart casual is the usual standard.

I have a question that is probably very silly, do please forgive but - is English the primary language on the MSC cruise in the Mediterranean?

~L2STammy

Not a chance. Announcements will be in 5 languages, of which English will not be first, but fortunately announcements are very few and far between. You may be lucky to meet any other English speakers, the majority will be Italian. For me that's part of the attraction.

Personally, I would not find my dining experience diluted by people wearing jeans because as soon as they sit down whatever they are wearing below the belt gets completely hidden. I'd have to get on my hands and knees and shuffle round under the table - and if I did that I am sure it would be a far greater problem than what my table ages were wearing! :D

I have a question that is probably very silly, do please forgive but - is English the primary language on the MSC cruise in the Mediterranean?

~L2STammy

No, there isn't one primary language but 5 occasionally 6. English is one of them along with Italian, French! German! Spanish and occasionally also Portuguese.

You will be seated with fellow English speaking passengers at dinner but not necessarily the same nationality. Occasionally they may using English as a second language (Dutch or Scandinavian).

Your Daily programme will be in English. Announcements are few but will be in 5 languages. EntertInment has to catr for multiple languages so there won't be any stand up comedians.

Bear in mind though that whilst you'll be able to communicate with the crew provided you don't speak too fast or use colloquialisms, the same won't be true of all passengers. English speakers are in a minority on med cruises. Behaviour and what is considered polite is also different as a result.

~L2STammy

Yes I've cruised extensively with them in the Med. I love the mediterranean way of doing things and travel often to Spain, Italy and Portugal as well as France. I speak reasonable Spanish and French and am learning Italian. I like cruising MSC because it is so Mediterranean in style. I really am not interested in cruising with a line that is predominantly catering for English speakers only. I also prefer the European style of service. No offence intended to North Americans on here but I find the US service style irritating and intrusive.

I like cruising MSC because it is so Mediterranean in style. I really am not interested in cruising with a line that is predominantly catering for English speakers only. I also prefer the European style of service. No offence intended to North Americans on here but I find the US service style irritating and intrusive.

When I was looking at different cruise lines, this is one thing that really appealed. I love America and have traveled there numerous times but I think NZ is much closer to the European way of doing things. We aren't used to having wait staff hanging over us, we don't tip, we are pretty easy going about things like iced water and face clothes (don't use either myself) and we really enjoy a very eclectic range of food especially (almost) everything mediterranean (you can keep your nasty octopi). I am really looking forward to a really immersive mediterranean experience! And other languages don't bother me - I host homestay students for the local high school so in my home at any given time you will hear Chinese, Thai and Russian in addition to English.

Edited by Katgoesonholiday

Thanks to all y'all we will most likely be sailing with MSC. They sound great. We are thinking about September, but I guess I should ask what time of year is best to cruise the Mediterranean. Our kids are grown, the fewer kids the better for us and I'm from Texas and prefer temps under 90F. We have enough heat.

~L2STammy

Thanks to all y'all we will most likely be sailing with MSC. They sound great. We are thinking about September, but I guess I should ask what time of year is best to cruise the Mediterranean. Our kids are grown, the fewer kids the better for us and I'm from Texas and prefer temps under 90F. We have enough heat.

~L2STammy

September will be fine heat wise. Make it early September to cruise if you're planning a north western itinerary and you can leave it as late as end September if your ports are more south east. Then you'll get the benefit of a lovely average temperature.

Please also bear in mind that MSC has free child places. The European school holidays can run as late as 2nd week in September. The ship will be very busy with families and children before then. Not suggesting it would bother you but a complaint on thesis boards is European children and their "carefree" parenting. ;)

Edited by moomoocow
Formatting doofus

We are sailing on the same cruise as you are Esty. Looking forward to meeting you! Jerome and I will be bringing our Tuxedo for the first Gala night as we love to dress up. For the second Gala night we will be wearing dark suits. We loved the White Hot Parties on NCL, so we are looking forward to wearing white on the night The Divina has it. Plus, there are two more fun bonuses. The Italian Night....and boy, a do I have Red, Green and White outfit to wear. Then the 60's-80's night. Disco Diva all the way!

We look forward to having so much fun on all our cruise adventures, even tho they are much talked about on the boards! :D

Looking forward to having a fun time with you!

Thanks ! Can't wait to see your "Italiano" outfit!

I admit that one has me a bit puzzled LOL...what to wear? what to bring?

I can do the white hot (NCL vet) and the "70's" hippie is easy for me as a Baby Boomer LOL

I just got back from 2 weeks on Divina. I posted my review on the site as well as in review section.

Plenty of entertainment all day and night long. Plenty were missed when we went off the ship while the entertainment continued on board. If you pick not getting off the ship there is plenty to keep you entertained.

All in all, the dress was resort wear and much nicer than on other ships. They had themed nights so bring something red, white and green for Italian night and all white for all white night. I wore green and white, DH wore red so we kind of fit in....

IF you do not have it, no problem. The staff is extremely passenger friendly. The ship is beautiful and the staff interacts with all passengers. Fun cruise on MSC with the best shows ever!

Edited by camofwilliamsburg

I just may!

But putting down Carnival is a little strange since MCS is the current budget line out of Miami !

In May, a balcony on the MSC Divina costs less then any other lines Ocean View, including Carnival!:confused:

So if they're wearing baseball caps on Carnival in the MDR, we might see bathing suits on MSC!:D

Edited by Russian Bear

I just may!

But putting down Carnival is a little strange since MCS is the current budget line out of Miami !

In May, a balcony on the MSC Divina costs less then any other lines Ocean View, including Carnival!:confused:

So if they're wearing baseball caps on Carnival in the MDR, we might see bathing suits on MSC!:D

LOL.....I actually like Carnival but entertainment is important to me. I love the entertainment on MSC. I have been on a fair amount of cruises and I find I remember the shows on MSC, the performers, etc.MSC shows are so different and so amazing, and really not something you see everyday. I can't wait till May haha

I agree with you, I was just pointing out to a reviewer that every cruise line has some good, and some bad, there's no reason to put down any line, or the people who enjoy cruising on a particular line! (his comments denigrating Carnival and the people on Carnival, how they dress etc.):confused:

We are booked back to back on the Divina in May, (best prices ever in my opinion for a Balcony on a 7 day cruise) and both my wife and I are looking forward to seeing the ship, and the shows everyone is talking about, and I really appreciate those of you including you, bosjoe, etc. who have been on the Divina giving us your feedback as MSC info is hard to come by!

Having spent a lot of time traveling Europe, we appreciate the differences of culture around the world, so we are not concerned about the Divina being an Italian Ship as many reviewers have stated, afterall, traveling to a different culture is not some peoples cup of tea, or as 'cruiseguys' would say not their 'Opera Drink'!:D

My wife and I enjoy experiencing different cultures, so we also are looking forward to the Divina!

Wow! Jeans, no jean, jeans no jeans. I thought the world was changing. We try no longer to discriminate on race and religion. What's up with judging people on what kind of material their clothes are made of. I don't hear anything being mentioned about not enough material in their clothes to barely cover essential parts. And believe me, on all the cruises I have been on, they stand out more than someone in a nice pair of denim pants, aka 'jeans' . Just also remember, not all people that dress in their favorite formal attire look good either. Look at the red carpet in Hollywood!