Sailing on Independence with a few questions...

My wife and I are sailing on IOS on January 26th and have some questions as new cruisers (This is my second cruise and my wife's first). I have been reading through many of the threads and am hoping that the experts here can answer them.

1. I know we can check a case of water and can carry on (2) 750ml bottles of wine, but can we check a small case of apple or cranberry juice (or other juice)?

2. Where are the most romantic, quiet spots to watch the sunset on IOS?

3. When should wee plan on trying to get show tickets to the different shows?

4. Are there any recommendations for must do activities in Grand Cayman or Jamaica?

Thanks in advance for all of your help and we can't wait to get to Fort Lauderdale and get on IOS!!!

I can help with #3. There are no show tickets, except for the ice show. All other shows are first come, first served. The Cruise Compass (daily schedule) will have details on when and where to get ice show tickets.

Edited by clarea

Hi Daytoncruisers87,

We did a "swim with the stingrays" tour in Grand Caymen through Stingray City tours. We booked it on our own as the ship tours for this are very crowded. If you google Captain Chip @ stingray city you will see his website, awesome tour and very personable. Out of 10 cruises this was our favorite shore excursion by a long shot! We booked it ahead of time and he met us at the pier. We were on Indy last year, Great ship!

We did the tour with Sting Ray City. It was great.

If you just want a great beach with great snorkeling steps off the beach take a cab to Marriott Seven Mile Beach. You can get a day pass for $20 each that includes lounge chair and umbrella and towels for the chair.

They built and artificial reef right in front of the hotel.

It is pricey to eat and drink though. Cayman dollars

As to No. 2, one of my favorite places for sea and scene gazing is the area where the deck 4 promenade bows out around the windows of the MDR. It is the same on both sides so take your pick depending on where the moon is. Here is the starboard side. While the wake may seem a little counter intuitive, this is looking aft:

DSC00295_zpsf9186c83.jpg

My wife and I are sailing on IOS on January 26th and have some questions as new cruisers (This is my second cruise and my wife's first). I have been reading through many of the threads and am hoping that the experts here can answer them.

1. I know we can check a case of water and can carry on (2) 750ml bottles of wine, but can we check a small case of apple or cranberry juice (or other juice)?

2. Where are the most romantic, quiet spots to watch the sunset on IOS?

3. When should wee plan on trying to get show tickets to the different shows?

4. Are there any recommendations for must do activities in Grand Cayman or Jamaica?

Thanks in advance for all of your help and we can't wait to get to Fort Lauderdale and get on IOS!!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic, DaytonCruiser. :)

1. Go easy on the cases. While RC usually looks the other way, excess may trigger denial.

2. Your own balcony. Search for "balcony club." ;)

3. Bob/clarea gave you the answer - but in my experience, the pickup time for ice show tickets is Day 2 morning, roughly 9 - 10 A.M. on Deck 3.

4. Grand Cayman Falmouth

Edited by Merion_Mom

Thanks for the good info everybody! I wish we had a balcony, but it wasn't in the budget for this trip. It will be from now on, but we only booked this cruise 3 weeks ago. I will certainly check out deck 4 for the views and I think we will just stick with a case of water. My stepmom warned me about Cayman and the high costs. She has had a time share at the Tortuga Club for years and has given me some advice on what to do in Georgetown.

Edited by DaytonCruisers87

Independence has an open to the public helipad that is a nice place to watch the sunset if you are headed in the right direction. Promenade Deck 4, head to front of ship, when you get to the stairs go up, continue forward and a few more stairs and you are there. Reasonably quiet as most people don't find it, but not private. Helipad open 24/7 except during rescue operations and severe weather. We get on Independence tomorrow (our 4th week aboard Indy). We promise to leave it in good shape for you - on 26 Jan as you board Indy we meander over to Terminal 18 and board the Allure .

enjoy

Thom

Independence has an open to the public helipad that is a nice place to watch the sunset if you are headed in the right direction. Promenade Deck 4, head to front of ship, when you get to the stairs go up, continue forward and a few more stairs and you are there. Reasonably quiet as most people don't find it, but not private. Helipad open 24/7 except during rescue operations and severe weather. We get on Independence tomorrow (our 4th week aboard Indy). We promise to leave it in good shape for you - on 26 Jan as you board Indy we meander over to Terminal 18 and board the Allure .

enjoy

Thom

Thanks for the directions, Thom! I was wondering how to get to the helipad!

DaytonCruisers87, have a great time on the Indy! As you disembark, we will be getting on the ship!

... Promenade Deck 4, head to front of ship, when you get to the stairs go up, continue forward and a few more stairs and you are there...
Just so there is no confusion, when I say Promenade Deck I mean the exterior walking deck where you can see the lifeboats. The Royal Promenade shopping mall is not going to work with those directions.

Just so there is no confusion, when I say Promenade Deck I mean the exterior walking deck where you can see the lifeboats. The Royal Promenade shopping mall is not going to work with those directions.

Thanks for clearing that up. Knowing me, I would have been trying real hard to figure out how to get there from inside. It is snowing here and I can't wait to get to sunny south Florida!