Barbados Beaches

knots4crewzing

Hi All,

Just starting to research our options for our day in Barbados.

It looks like Rockley beach has all the amenities for a nice beach day. Plus it's absolutely gorgeous.

So my question is~~ are there taxi drivers that would make a couple of stops before heading down to the beach.

We'd like to see the Rum and chocolate factory then make our way to the beach. Not necessarily take a tour.

Any idea what they might charge.

Also, are there chairs and umbrellas to rent and a place to get a bite to eat. What would you recommend.

Thank you for your help:)

Hi All,

Just starting to research our options for our day in Barbados.

It looks like Rockley beach has all the amenities for a nice beach day. Plus it's absolutely gorgeous.

So my question is~~ are there taxi drivers that would make a couple of stops before heading down to the beach.

We'd like to see the Rum and chocolate factory then make our way to the beach. Not necessarily take a tour.

Any idea what they might charge.

Also, are there chairs and umbrellas to rent and a place to get a bite to eat. What would you recommend.

Thank you for your help:)

Will you find willing taxis, yes, How much will they charge? In my experience a lot. I can't give you a good estimate, but I can tell you that when we wanted to take a taxi to Bathsheba Beach and back, about a 3 hour tour, the lowest price was 80$, we took the bus.

One hint for taxis, they will be all lined up, the ones at the front will be more expensive. If you tell them what you want, and just keep saying no and walking along to the back taxis, the price will get lower. There will be people walking along trying to help you, keep telling them its too much until you get a reasonable price that you want. I don't know that the 80$ was too much for what we wanted, but it was more than we wanted to pay, and we enjoy the bus, so for us, the taxis were a no.

Great island with wonderful people!

Will you find willing taxis, yes, How much will they charge? In my experience a lot. I can't give you a good estimate, but I can tell you that when we wanted to take a taxi to Bathsheba Beach and back, about a 3 hour tour, the lowest price was 80$, we took the bus.

One hint for taxis, they will be all lined up, the ones at the front will be more expensive. If you tell them what you want, and just keep saying no and walking along to the back taxis, the price will get lower. There will be people walking along trying to help you, keep telling them its too much until you get a reasonable price that you want. I don't know that the 80$ was too much for what we wanted, but it was more than we wanted to pay, and we enjoy the bus, so for us, the taxis were a no.

Great island with wonderful people!

Thank you for your reply.

I always try to take the bus whenever we can.

I know that the chocolate and rum factories are close by so maybe a bus then get a taxi from there. We'll have to scope it out:D

BTW~~~~ your kitty is beautiful. Is he/she a Ragdoll?

We have an orange tabby. He's 5, fat and fresh.:p

Thanks again for the info

Liz:)

Thank you for your reply.

I always try to take the bus whenever we can.

I know that the chocolate and rum factories are close by so maybe a bus then get a taxi from there. We'll have to scope it out:D

BTW~~~~ your kitty is beautiful. Is he/she a Ragdoll?

We have an orange tabby. He's 5, fat and fresh.:p

Thanks again for the info

Liz:)

Thanks! He is not a rag doll, but is a mitted seal point long hair. Some of his siblings were ragdolls, they also had some flame point lilac point and torti point Siamese. Ours is deaf and kind of handicapped in some neurological way, we love him and he is content to sit around most of the time. He is happier when he has a sweater on. :D We also have a tabby/Siamese mix, he is a handful!

The buses in Barbados are very easy to get around on, but allow more time than you will need. One time when we were there, we were tired and didn't feel like doing much so we got on the bus and road it all over. It was some kind of holiday and the bus was full of locals who were happy to chat with us and acted as tour guides. We were even invited to a picnic, but we declined due to time. It was really a cheap way to have an island tour.

There are also two bus terminals in the town, so find out which one you need before you go. I know we went on the closer one for Folkestone and the farther one for Bathsheba, but other than that, I don't know which one you would need.

When the taxi drivers find out you are taking the bus, they will try talk you out of it.

Also, buy the vanilla in the cruise port terminal. My cookies smell and taste so good when I use it!