HAL Shore Excursions Santorini

Rustee

I would like to know from people who have done the HAL excursions on Santorini that went to the town of Oia how much time did you get in Oia and was it enough time. I know on the HAL website you can read reviews but I would like to know from other sources. Thankyou

I would like to know from people who have done the HAL excursions on Santorini that went to the town of Oia how much time did you get in Oia and was it enough time. I know on the HAL website you can read reviews but I would like to know from other sources. Thankyou

We did the tour that tours the island, goes to Oia and ends up in Fira. The stop in Oia was about 2 hours. It was enough to walk the town, stop for coffee at a cafe you and do a little shopping. We arrived in Fira in time for a late lunch.

I arranged an island tour thro' http://www.privatesantorinitours.com for 16 people off our ship. We all wanted to avoid the cable car and had the tour company to arrange a boat from the tender berth to the New Port. It cost 100 euro each way - 6 euro each, cheaper than the cable car.

Definitely the best way, reliable and no queuing.

In September 2012, we did the Profit Ilias and Oia Village Tour. We had about about an hour and a half in Oia. That is plenty of time, unless you are a very big shopper. I really don't think you need more time then this. Coming down the cable car is not frightening. It is not up very high. The lines moves very quickly. Hopefully there will not be a lot of ships in port. This is a beautiful island. Enjoy.

In September 2012, we did the Profit Ilias and Oia Village Tour. We had about about an hour and a half in Oia. That is plenty of time, unless you are a very big shopper. I really don't think you need more time then this. Coming down the cable car is not frightening. It is not up very high. The lines moves very quickly. Hopefully there will not be a lot of ships in port. This is a beautiful island. Enjoy.

As far as I can remember the alternative to the cable car is walking or donkey - probably more frightening than the cable car!

We ended up walking down as opposed to the cable car because it had started to rain which meant everyone lined up at once. Rather than wait in the rain we walked. However the stone steps were slippery and I saw a mom slip and fall. My son and I made it down without incident fortunately. Pictures we took in Oia were beautiful. And of course we thoroughly enjoyed the cruise... as usual!

Do you remember which HAL tour that was? We signed up for the "Panoramic Santorini" tour as it seemed to be the least walking...but thought we still had to come down the cable car at the end. Would love to avoid that if possible!!!

I'm pretty sure it was the "Panoramic Santorini" tour that we did. I just checked some of the reviews which confirmed that you are tendered back to the ship.

Can never be enough time for Oia but we were there 90 minutes to 2 hours and enjoyed it very much. Would have preferred maybe 3 hours for a nice lunch. The gondola cars were no problem at all on the return. What a great day that was.

Gary

Thanks so much...sounds like we made the right choice for our needs. Walking or the donkeys are not an option!:eek:

Yes, for my mother, too. We had some very long, intense days on our cruise, so we needed to take it easy where we could. As I said earlier, that tour was the only tour on which one could tender both ways.

Can never be enough time for Oia but we were there 90 minutes to 2 hours and enjoyed it very much. Would have preferred maybe 3 hours for a nice lunch. The gondola cars were no problem at all on the return. What a great day that was.

Gary

I agree with Gary, the time alloted on our shore excursion (Oia and Mt. Elias) was not nearly enough time to really enjoy Oia. Our guide lost us half way through the walking tour and we spent a good part of our time trying to locate our group again. She was a fast walker, and although many in the group had mobility issues, she took off like a sprinter and never looked back. :eek:

If I were to visit Santorini again, I would arrange to go to Oia privately. That way we could really have time seeing the town and enjoying a meal or a coffee rather than having to try to chase after our tour guide.....