Time Zones. Yes, I know. Another time zone question

debbs0723

Hi All,

I know this has been answered so many times for different ports but I'll admit it. Trying to figure out the time zone issue for me is like a tough math word problem. I'm just not good at it.

I'll be on the Allure Thanksgiving week leaving out of Ft. Lauderdale. On our St. Maarten day we are going out with Capt Bob. Our itinerary says 10-5 yet his check in time is 9:30 a.m. This is what our confirmation says.

Check in and return times are quoted in LOCAL time. Please check well in advance with your ship to know the difference, if any, between our local time (Atlantic Standard Time)and the ship time. St. Martin is on Atlantic Standard Time and we are one hour ahead of Eastern Standard Time. Your ship may be on either Eastern Standard Time or Atlantic Standard Time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Debbie

I will try. If I make a mistake, I'm sure others wil make a correction.

The captain most likely will maintain Eastern Standard Time as "ship time".

The actual local time is Atlantic Standard Time, and it's one hour ahead of EST (ship time).

Now if your check in time for the excursion is 9.30 local time, it means 10.30 EST or shiptime.

Be careful with the all aboard time which will be in ship time, not local time. You don't want the ship to leave without you!

Enjoy your cruise.

Michael

via Tapatalk. sorry for typo.

Sorry Michael, you did make a bit of a mistake. Atlantic Time (St. Maarten) is one hour AHEAD of ship time. So if local St. Maarten time is 9:30, ship time will be 8:30 (not 10:30).

As Michael said, be very careful. Wear a watch and always know ship time. But in St. Maarten you should be ok. If you end up going by local time you should actually get back on the ship an hour early.

In my experience the ship will stay on Eastern Time. But you have to absolutely make sure. Some Captains do change time zones. Also be sure to check ship arrival time vs. local time for your excursion.

For me, I bought an inexpensive divers watch that I wear on shore. That way I will always know the correct ship time and can wear it into the ocean, etc.

Thanks everybody. This really helps and yet makes it that much more confusing at the same time. :D

Okay let me ask this. When my ship itinerary says 10 a.m. regardless of whether the ship changes time to match local time or not that is 11 a.m. St. Maarten time, correct?

Thanks everybody. This really helps and yet makes it that much more confusing at the same time. :D

Okay let me ask this. When my ship itinerary says 10 a.m. regardless of whether the ship changes time to match local time or not that is 11 a.m. St. Maarten time, correct?

Personally I never pay any attention to local time. I set my watch to ships time and that's the only time that concerns me.

Personally I never pay any attention to local time. I set my watch to ships time and that's the only time that concerns me.

I agree with you. This is exactly what we do. I would never leave the ship without a watch on that reflects the ship time.

However, for this, I'm more worried about whether this excursion will even work for us. He said call time is 9:30 St. Maarten time and our ship does not arrive until 10 a.m. which I think is 11:00 a.m. st. Maarten time. I'll go back and ask Capt Bob. He says he takes people from Allure all the time and his tour works out perfect with the Allure time.

Thanks again,

Debbie

Not correct. If the ship itinerary says 10am, that is referencing ship time. This may or may not also be the same time as local time.

Correct me if I am wrong, but RC website for Allure schedule for 11/23/2014 shows St Martin docking on the 27th at 8 am

Oh how craptastic. :D You are completely right. I had my times confused. I guess we are all good then. This means 9 a.m. St. Maarten time so we should be good.

Thanks everyone. :o

Debbie