Upgrade from Rear to Mid Ship?

My husband and I are cruising on the Jewel. We are currently booked in a JS that is in the very rear of the boat. We have never been in that location before. My understanding is that we will be able to feel quite a bit of motion. My husband is concerned about feeling ill. The only option to move is to upgrade to an owners suite for an additional $2K. Is it worth it? Our final payment is due tomorrow. Should we wait and see if that cost comes down or new room locations come available after final payments are due?

My husband and I are cruising on the Jewel. We are currently booked in a JS that is in the very rear of the boat. We have never been in that location before. My understanding is that we will be able to feel quite a bit of motion. My husband is concerned about feeling ill. The only option to move is to upgrade to an owners suite for an additional $2K. Is it worth it? Our final payment is due tomorrow. Should we wait and see if that cost comes down or new room locations come available after final payments are due?

I have been both mid ship and the very front of the ship (overlooking the helipad on Allure). I can suffer quite badly with motion sickness and honestly, I didn't notice too much difference in either location. On my first cruise we had a mid-ship GS and I felt vile the first night and the ship was barely moving! The $2k extra seems like a considerable amount but obviously, it is your vacation and if you feel like you can make the most of the full 'suite perks' and it would be better for you then go for it. If either of you are prone to motion sickness, have you tried different medications? That option would be considerably cheaper than the upgrade.

Like you said though, you could wait and see what becomes available and the cost to upgrade may reduce as well but of course as you know there is no guarantee on that!

Jo :)

I would definitely wait it out.

As others have said aft cabins are much better for motion sickness than forward cabins and often there is very little noticeable difference in motion between aft/rear cabins and midship cabins. After final payment you may also find that some of the other JS cabins open up, so if you keep checking regularly you may be able to switch to a more central JS.

Also unsold GS and OS cabins may be discounted after final payment and you could then upgrade for less than the current upgrade price of $2K

I have been both mid ship and the very front of the ship (overlooking the helipad on Allure). I can suffer quite badly with motion sickness and honestly, I didn't notice too much difference in either location. On my first cruise we had a mid-ship GS and I felt vile the first night and the ship was barely moving! The $2k extra seems like a considerable amount but obviously, it is your vacation and if you feel like you can make the most of the full 'suite perks' and it would be better for you then go for it. If either of you are prone to motion sickness, have you tried different medications? That option would be considerably cheaper than the upgrade.

Like you said though, you could wait and see what becomes available and the cost to upgrade may reduce as well but of course as you know there is no guarantee on that!

Jo :)

We have sailed mid ship and aft without noticing much difference at all. I would say it is not worth 2k.

We have sailed mid ship and aft without noticing much difference at all. I would say it is not worth 2k.

Whether it is worth it or not is clearly up to OP. You wouldn't pay it, I wouldn't pay it but they are considering it for their vacation, it is up to them :)

Upgrade only if you have more money than brains!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Whether it is worth it or not is clearly up to OP. You wouldn't pay it, I wouldn't pay it but they are considering it for their vacation, it is up to them :)

True, but OP did ask if it was worth it, so one could reasonably conclude that she wants our opinions.

To me, no. I am prone to motion sickness but since discovering meclizine (Bonine is the brand name, but many drugstore chains in the US have a generic equivalent), I almost never come down with it.

But only you know how significant an extra $2k is in your financial life. That is very close to the cost of another cruise in a JS, and the perks that come with the OS are far less valuable than $2k (other than having a gorgeous cabin and a dedicated Concierge troubleshoot for you if you have a problem). I would try a seasickness remedy first.

PS We sailed on Jewel in early December and never felt a thing in 1598, almost all the way aft.

Edited by critterchick

True, but OP did ask if it was worth it, so one could reasonably conclude that she wants our opinions.

Yes, I am fully aware of that which is exactly why I, along with others, gave my opinion. We all value 'worth' differently which is why, based on their own feelings and other peoples opinions, they will decide if the upgrade is 'worth' $2k to them.

In my initial response, I said that I would say there was not much difference motion-wise and asked if they had considered medication... just as you did!

OP, I hope that whatever you decide to do, you have a lovely cruise.

Edited by jo24

We booked late on the Navigator with my parents last year and ended up with pretty all they had left which was aft 8th deck. My parents had 8 doors down towards aft as well so they were even farther back.

Personally, I do not think it is worth 2k. I would probably put that towards another cruise, but that is just me. I did get sea sick on that cruise but I get car sick and sea sick on my own boat while my kids ski. I didn't notice any difference in the amount of rocking between mid ship and aft either.

I would suggest using a few different methods if he is very concerned. I started taking ginger pills 3 days before and I took Bonine every night at bedtime. I was only sea sick that first morning we woke up and it passed after about an hour or two. Honestly though, on that particular trip it was crazy windy and we dealt with a lot of rocking.

Debbie