Carnival Breeze vs. Celebrity Silhouette

MSR74

I just arrived back home in New York from our trip on the Carnival Breeze! We had a great time! I am interested to find out if anyone would like to hear my take on the differences between the two ships?

Edited by MSR74

• 1 year later...

Wow ok, cool!

Where to begin…there are definitely a lot of differences. I think you will likely notice in the ship's aesthetics. The ship decor on Celebrity is more upscale, current and modern feeling, kind of like a nice W Hotel. Very chic and luxurious while warm and inviting. I did like Carnival "wrap" Promenade which you will not find on the Silhouette, it was also missing from the Regal Princess which I sailed earlier this year. I think this is a space maximizing trend.

I would say service is on par with the Breeze but that's a matter of opinion, while there are more varied food options aboard the Silhouette. The buffet had many more options and was presented in smaller sub-stations. Overall food presentation is a stepped up too.

The ship feels less crowded, perhaps because there are less people and the pace is less hectic and hurried than the Breeze. If you are in a balcony stateroom, you will notice the larger and more comfortable balcony. Stateroom bathrooms are spa-like and the best I've ever experienced. I liked that I could order room service on my stateroom TV. That was a nice feature.

There are very few children, however, you will be going likely be sailing during spring break so you may experience more. Therefore, I would say the Breeze has the edge in amenities and activities for kids! I would steer families with small children away from the Silhouette and more toward the Breeze.

We initially had an issue with the glass partition between our balcony and the room adjacent to ours. It was blown out on the prior cruise (this is what our neighbor said who had done a back to back cruise before us) because of high wind. It was replaced the first evening of the cruise with a new panel. Initially, I was told the part wasn't onboard and then it appeared. Maybe magic ;) or more likely they swiped it from someone else's room when they requested an adjoining balcony with their neighbor.

I prefer the aesthetic of the ship, along with the stateroom. I also liked the upscale feel of the Silhouette but it didn't feel stuffy at any time. It felt like I was cruising on a large luxury Yacht where Carnival felt more basic and "industrial" as my friend would put it. The Silhouette was definitely designed with aesthetics and guest perception in mind. I also found it easier to navigate and more "user friendly," but that too is a matter of personal taste. The pool and decks were less congested on sea days and the ship was spotless, I think more so than on the Breeze although the Breeze was definitely well kept.

We had the best stateroom attendant on the Breeze however, Celebrity SA was good but a bit more laid back. It's a matter of personal opinion.

Overall, I liked them both and can't find much fault with the Breeze other than some minor things comparably. Carnival has hospitable staff and offers a great vacation at an exceptional value! I appreciate that. I tend to prefer the silhouette to the Breeze because I like the overall layout, the comfort level. I would venture to say the food is on par or better than the Breeze, at least the dishes seemed a little more creative and presented with a little bit more flair and attention to detail. It was good enough on the Silhouette that I didn't feel the need to try the "additional cost" restaurants. I was also "fooded out" at the last couple of days when we had our reservation and so we canceled.

All entertainment on the Silhouette was with a live band. Carnival has click track (pre-recorded music) and less elaborate productions, but adequate. There was also a "Cirque" style show that was pretty good and a quartet of young talented acapella singers (like on the TV show Sing Off). All singers, dancers and musicians were very talented and the shows were of relatively high quality and varied in style and genre.

As a side note: I am not partial to any one line, have been on 9 cruises, Several on Carnival one on RCCL Independence of the Seas, two on Princess and one on the Silhouette. I think I would choose Celebrity, especially the Solstice Class because I like the product and the value. I also liked the ship layout and decor and found that it seemed less crowded with fewer children (I could count on one hand). The service however matched or exceeded the Breeze in some areas and was on par in others. I liked the stateroom and larger and better appointed stateroom bathroom.

Overall, I thought the ship felt more refined and high-end than any of the others I mentioned although I haven't been on anything else in categories above it to compare. I did like Carnival and I would return as I have never had any other major issues. I was a little disappointed in the Regal Princess in comparison to Celebrity if that's a consolation. I would probably return to Princess with an open mind in the future if itinerary and price were a deciding factor.

I liked both ships for different reasons but my preference was for the Silhouette. In all, I think you will have a great time!

Enjoy yourself and if you have any other questions please feel free to PM me.

M

Edited by MSR74

Celebrity is more upscale. The food, especially in the Blu Dining Room is clearly superior. Service is more refined. The ships are much less crowded. Entertainment is clearly superior. Carnival stresses price, Celebrity stresses service.

Like the way Op asked first..then left his preferences and comparison...I do think it is fun to compare a Mainstream line's Best newer ship and a Premium's line Best newer ship.

It speaks well of Carnival that OP would return after the Premium experience of Celebrity...I so want to try more of it all..different lines...and have to shop shop shop..so many ships so little time..LOL..thanks OP..great personal comparison...Sarah

It speaks well of Carnival that OP would return after the Premium experience of Celebrity

I definitely would return to Carnival! I didn't really have any major complaints and we had a fantastic time. I hoped to make clear that they are different products for different expectations, but are both good in their own way. I'm actually looking forward to the new Vista. I really like the way CCL has taken the Breeze and amped it up a bit! I would also definitely like to take another Solstice Class cruise! They are both on my bucket list.

To be honest, I've never really had an experience in which I've said, I'm never going back to "that" cruise line. I try to research my cruise based upon my personal preferences and learn what each can offer and I select based upon certain factors and go with it and have fun! In the end I think that is the most important thing to remember.

Happy cruising!

M

Edited by MSR74
clarification

I was booked on the Silhoette for my summer cruise, but after reading so many reviews, I cancelled and booked the Breeze instead. Why you ask? I have a very active 5 year old and since it's OUR vacation, it wasn't fair to have her stuck on a ship that wasn't child/family friendly.

Different strokes for different folks.:D

Maybe when she's a teenager, I'll try Celebrity.

Is the Silhouette on of X's fleet that has the Lawn Grill?

Hi Bill,

Yes, the lawn club grill is onboard the Silhouette and Reflection only. The Equinox, Eclipse and Solstice all have a glass blowing show instead. The Lawn Club Grill looks fantastic and we spoke to a guest that tried it and said they really enjoyed it. You can select and grill your own meat with the assistance of chef onboard. Plus it has a really cool vibe with the lawn club just aft. When I go back, I think I would like to try it as well!

M