Carry on bags?

beachy2

I'm trying to decide how many/what size bags to pack:) . Departing from Ft. Lauderdale on Caribbean Princess. Is it possible to carry on the ship a wheeled "carry on" size bag? Just wondering about security screening at the port, I guess. It seems like we were discouraged from carrying any suitcases at all on NCL. I think I would like to pack one large suitcase, and 2 smaller carryons for my husband and I. That way we could carry on the plane and the ship clothes we need soon after boarding in case there is a delay in suitcase arrival....

As long as the carry ons are about the size you can take on as a carry on for a plane you will be fine. The cruise port has scanners much like the ones used in the airports and the bags must fit through them to be carried on.

My husband has resolved we'll do nothing but wheeled-on carry ons hence forth because of our experience this year on the Grand. They were kind enough to open the ship early for boarding -- our luggage -- which we knew was on the ship -- wasn't fully delivered until 8pm.

I always pack my clothes for the first night in a small rollaway, like that you bring aboard an airplane. Never had a problem with bringing it aboard the ship. In the "good old days" of cruising, from the early eighties to the early nineties, if you got your luggage before 9-10pm on emarkation day you considered yourselves lucky. :)

Ditto - my husband and I both take wheeled carry-ons onto the ship. I have enough in them for 3 days onboard in case the luggage is late or lost. Yes, I'm paranoid. I've had my luggage taken in the past.

After Celebrity Cruises temporarily lost our luggage one year, and after two bad experiences with luggage checked on U.S. Airways, we decided to try to survive on a cruise with the clothes we were able to pack in our carry-ons. This was three years ago. The experiment was a success, and we have since been to the Caribbean and to Alaska with a carry-on and a back-pack apiece, and nothing else. We have had no problems rolling our luggage on and off the ship, and we see no reason to check luggage anymore. We bring clothes for formal night, too.

Joan

Thanks so much! I've been lurking on this board for a month or so, but this is my first question....you are a very helpful group! I really appreciate all the great info I've been gleaning on these boards. Sailing on Caribbean Princess 10/1.

I'm trying to decide how many/what size bags to pack:) . Departing from Ft. Lauderdale on Caribbean Princess. Is it possible to carry on the ship a wheeled "carry on" size bag? Just wondering about security screening at the port, I guess. It seems like we were discouraged from carrying any suitcases at all on NCL. I think I would like to pack one large suitcase, and 2 smaller carryons for my husband and I. That way we could carry on the plane and the ship clothes we need soon after boarding in case there is a delay in suitcase arrival....

Not sure what happened to you w/ NCL, but I've always wheeled on a carry-on bag. They most definitely have no policy against doing so. As far as I know, they're the same as all other cruise lines - as long as the bag can fit thru the x-ray machine at check-in, you're allowed to carry it (or wheel it) onboard.

As long as the carry ons are about the size you can take on as a carry on for a plane you will be fine. The cruise port has scanners much like the ones used in the airports and the bags must fit through them to be carried on.

The scanners at the port are actually larger than the scanners at the passenger security screening in the airport. They will accomodate just about any piece of luggage. You can carry on pretty much whatever *you* can carry on.

Archived