Looking for suggestions on travel insurance

crazyboutdisney

We are booked on our second cruise Feb 16th. We have never taken out travel insurance before so I really know nothing about it. My dads health is deteriorating rapidly and I am starting to worry that we may need to cancel. I have looked alittle online at travel insurance companies but it seems very confusing.

Can anyone suggest a company....tell me your experience with travel insurance...would it even cover us if we have to cancel due to a parents death? Is it too late to purchase it??

Thank you!!!

Unfortunately, if you booked (made a deposit) more than 21 days ago, I haven't seen any Travel Insurance that will cover preexisting conditions and the shortest "look back" period I've seen is 60 days.

Hope his condition improves.

We are booked on our second cruise Feb 16th. We have never taken out travel insurance before so I really know nothing about it. My dads health is deteriorating rapidly and I am starting to worry that we may need to cancel. I have looked alittle online at travel insurance companies but it seems very confusing.

Can anyone suggest a company....tell me your experience with travel insurance...would it even cover us if we have to cancel due to a parents death? Is it too late to purchase it??

Thank you!!!

When did you book?

You could have purchased insurance to help cover you for this situation, however, it's too late now for coverages for pre-existing conditions.

You MAY, I say MAY, be able to purchase the cruiselines insurance. Carnivals has a Cancel For Any Reason rider automatically attached to it. However, with this late date, you need to double and triple check this before you purchase.

Two things to know about Cancel For Any Reason

1. You must notify all parties that you are cancelling at least 48 hours prior to beginning of travel.

2. You're only going to receive a 75% future cruise credit if you do cancel for this reason (Cancel For Any Reason)

The reason you're not going to be able to get coverage is because your fathers situation is no longer an unforseen event. You now know he has medical issues, therefore an insurance company is not going to take on that risk.

You could have purchased insurance to help cover you for this situation, however, it's too late now for coverages for pre-existing conditions.

You MAY, I say MAY, be able to purchase the cruiselines insurance. Carnivals has a Cancel For Any Reason rider automatically attached to it. However, with this late date, you need to double and triple check this before you purchase.

Two things to know about Cancel For Any Reason

1. You must notify all parties that you are cancelling at least 48 hours prior to beginning of travel.

2. You're only going to receive a 75% future cruise credit if you do cancel for this reason (Cancel For Any Reason)

The reason you're not going to be able to get coverage is because your fathers situation is no longer an unforseen event. You now know he has medical issues, therefore an insurance company is not going to take on that risk.

Would we even of been able to purchase it when we booked if we knew about his condition at the time? He has Lewy Body Dementia and was diagnosed several years ago.

We booked months ago. Would Carnivals insurance cover a parents death anyway? I was reading alittle about it and it didnt seem like it would.

Wait, not enough information here. When I first read your post, I thought your father was traveling with you. Now I'm not sure. If he is not booked, travel insurance may still cover your cancellation if necessary. If he is not booked for this cruise, call InsureMyTrip.com or TruTravel at 877-8784467 and ask ASAP.

We booked months ago. Would Carnivals insurance cover a parents death anyway? I was reading alittle about it and it didnt seem like it would.

With Cancel For Any Reason,,,,, nobody cares why you cancelled. Thats why it's called "Cancel For Any Reason".

Parents death, full moon, just don't feel like going,,,, doesn't matter.

It's too late to get coverage for a specific reason such as you are looking for.

Wait, not enough information here. When I first read your post, I thought your father was traveling with you. Now I'm not sure. If he is not booked, travel insurance may still cover your cancellation if necessary. If he is not booked for this cruise, call InsureMyTrip.com or TruTravel at 877-8784467 and ask ASAP.

Oh Im sorry...I should have been more specific. No, he isnt traveling with us.

Oh Im sorry...I should have been more specific. No, he isnt traveling with us.

OK, then do what I suggested. It's too late for Carnival's "Cancel for any Reason" but you don't need that. Any insurance may cover you for your situation. I've found Tru Travel to be the best rate.

Unfortunately, if you booked (made a deposit) more than 21 days ago, I haven't seen any Travel Insurance that will cover preexisting conditions and the shortest "look back" period I've seen is 60 days.

Hope his condition improves.

We booked our cruise a few days ago leaving on Feb. 1 and got trip insurance through TravelGuard. No trouble getting the insurance. We purchased the gold plan.

We booked our cruise a few days ago leaving on Feb. 1 and got trip insurance through TravelGuard. No trouble getting the insurance. We purchased the gold plan.

I believe the difference is that as you said - you BOOKED your cruise a FEW DAYS AGO. So you would well be within the guidelines of the 14/21 day cutoff of the preexisting condition clause. It doesn't matter when your cruise is - it goes by when you actually book your cruise and put a deposit down.

OP - I hope all goes well. Please keep us informed.