Trying different dishes or wrong choices in the MDR

L33_RYM

On my Liberty cruise in 2012, our MDR waiter (who was also a supervisor at Johnny Rockets), would bring me two of the smaller main dishes if I ordered them. One night when they had the shrimp dish, she brought me two of them immediately because she knew that one order of three shrimp was too small for any normal person.

Recently on Oasis, our waiter was absolutely fantastic about remembering our preferences. Whenever eating in the MDR, we typically order two appetizers, usually a salad and one of the fruit soups. Some nights our waiter would bring the entrée we ordered, and would bring one additional entrée, something that he thought might compliment whatever we ordered, for the two of us to split. It's been this way on every cruise.

And, as an aside, if you've selected My Time Dining you can go to the Dining Room when you first board the ship and ask to select your table. If you do this, you'll be assigned the same table every night of the cruise. We had the same table, same waiter every cruise. It was great. A table for 2 right by the rail looking down over the two lower dining room floors.

Some nights when I want to try three or four good sounding appetizers that becomes my dinner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

GREAT posting, some of the best meals I've had were done this way. AND, I haven't read ahead through the entire thread, but if the Garlic Soup is on the menu, ask for a Bowl (or two) vs a cup. Additionally, my daughter is a, picky, vegetarian. Last cruise on Jewel our waiter and assistant waiter quite successfully got create with what they brought her each night.

How does that work if you are sitting at a larger table? Does everyone else have to wait for their next course while you work thru all the extra dishes?

Just talk to the waiter. Let him know that you are ordering one or two appetizers for your main course or to bring them out at the same time. Otherwise, the waiter WILL wait to bring the next course. My wife does this often, and as newbie cruisers we got some pained looks when she'd order three (or four) appetizers, then eat VERY slowly!

My wife does this often, and as newbie cruisers we got some pained looks when she'd order three (or four) appetizers, then eat VERY slowly!

Well, yes.....I can imagine a few pained looks. Lots of nightlife to be done and not enough time to do it all. :)