Athens Taxi?

milagarcia

There isn't a standard price for taxis in port station. These taxi guys aren't so trusted and you must be very lucky for get a normal price!

There are 2 options:

1. walk out of port (50-100 meters) and stop any empty taxi on the road (normal price 12-15 euro one way, 4 persons per taxi)

2. if you have a smartphone you can download the application here: https://taxibeat.com/ and call a taxi (no extra fee). This app is useful and when you want return to port from Athens.

There isn't a standard price for taxis in port station. These taxi guys aren't so trusted and you must be very lucky for get a normal price!

There are 2 options:

1. walk out of port (50-100 meters) and stop any empty taxi on the road (normal price 12-15 euro one way, 4 persons per taxi)

2. if you have a smartphone you can download the application here: https://taxibeat.com/ and call a taxi (no extra fee). This app is useful and when you want return to port from Athens.

Interesting info about the app, thanks for posting it.

You say there is no extra fee, but does the driver charge you for the distance he had to travel from his location to where he picks you up (in addition to the normal fare, of course)?

Just curious, as it seems many other countries commonly do this if you call a cab and it would be good to know what to expect.

Cool app, thank you.

Thank you for the $$$ 3ssn. I will expect to pay that, can you advise about how long it takes? and if you agreed on the price first or that is just the price they gave you once you arrived.

thanks again.

ALWAYS agree on the price first; and NEVER believe or trust the "don't worry about it". By then u will be in for the shock of your life. ALWAYS ALWAYS agree on the price first. My experience has been that it's 20 euros from the port to the Plaka area. But most taxi drivers will want to give you a full "tour" which will cost you...THose drivers are usually right outside waiting for you when u exit the ship. Also, when you catch a cab, the cab should be going in the same direction that you are when u are on the street. We learned that on an adventure once--no one would pick us up b/c we were on one side of the street and we needed to go in the other direction...

ALWAYS agree on the price first; and NEVER believe or trust the "don't worry about it". By then u will be in for the shock of your life. ALWAYS ALWAYS agree on the price first. My experience has been that it's 20 euros from the port to the Plaka area. But most taxi drivers will want to give you a full "tour" which will cost you...THose drivers are usually right outside waiting for you when u exit the ship. Also, when you catch a cab, the cab should be going in the same direction that you are when u are on the street. We learned that on an adventure once--no one would pick us up b/c we were on one side of the street and we needed to go in the other direction...

thanks 24butterfly! I will stay on the right side of the road! and promise to agree on the price upfront!! thanks again.

Interesting info about the app, thanks for posting it.

You say there is no extra fee, but does the driver charge you for the distance he had to travel from his location to where he picks you up (in addition to the normal fare, of course)?

Just curious, as it seems many other countries commonly do this if you call a cab and it would be good to know what to expect.

Hi cruisemom and happy new year (send my best wishes to your sister too :) )

with this app you will choose the nearest taxi (you can see this on a map with GPS). The taxi driver must charge only the normal fare from the departed point to arrive point (tariff starts from your depart point and not when call him).

Another advance with this app is that you can see if the driver speaking English or not and of course the car model and rates from other passengers.

My home is 2 miles far from Plaka area and the maximum fare who I've pay is 14 euro.. normally for Plaka is 2-3 euro less (this depends by the traffic in Athens)

Hi cruisemom and happy new year (send my best wishes to your sister too :) )

with this app you will choose the nearest taxi (you can see this on a map with GPS). The taxi driver must charge only the normal fare from the departed point to arrive point (tariff starts from your depart point and not when call him).

Another advance with this app is that you can see if the driver speaking English or not and of course the car model and rates from other passengers.

My home is 2 miles far from Plaka area and the maximum fare who I've pay is 14 euro.. normally for Plaka is 2-3 euro less (this depends by the traffic in Athens)

And a very happy new year to you as well. :)

I'll be in Athens again in the fall for a few days -- looking forward to possibly seeing some sights outside the city. Last time I visited Eleusis and found it to be wonderful (and uncrowded!).

As for the question how long it took: about 5 min negotiating with taxi drivers and finding one that will not give a tour. Drive to the city depends. We had about 20 mins with some traffic. About 10-15 mins in sunday morning.

• 2 weeks later...

welcome to the Jungle. If you've ever run the gauntlet of taxis in Antigua, this tops it.

They are just outside the port entrance

Taxis galore, everyone wanting to give you a ride. We negotiated and paid $12 there and coming back stopped a cab on the street and negotiated and it was $15 back

• 2 weeks later...

Save money and take a taxi to the train station. I walked to the train station in the morning but was a bit late coming back so I took a taxi from the train station on the way back. They did have a port surchage so the taxi was 11 or 12 Euro. The walk to the train station is almost 3 miles.

• 1 month later...
Can we expect to get a fair rate if we have the hotel call a taxi to take us to Piraeus?

Thanks,

I would agree upon the rate first b4 you get in. Also, I'd ask around at how much it should cost. It it's Athens central, expect about 20-25 Euros.

• 5 weeks later...

Can anyone provide info on the price for a full day tour provided by taxis at the port? We are in Athens in the heat of the summer and I think my family of 4 would prefer a taxi to take us to the Acropolis, plaka, changing of the guard, panathenaic stadium, and temple of Zeus. I was just in Greece last week with 11 jr high students and became quite comfortable at using the metro, but if I found a couple of the March days too warm, I can't even imagine what Aug will be like! :eek: We do have Private Greece Tours booked for 240e, but I'm wondering what people have paid on the spot. Thank you!

Can anyone provide info on the price for a full day tour provided by taxis at the port? We are in Athens in the heat of the summer and I think my family of 4 would prefer a taxi to take us to the Acropolis, plaka, changing of the guard, panathenaic stadium, and temple of Zeus. I was just in Greece last week with 11 jr high students and became quite comfortable at using the metro, but if I found a couple of the March days too warm, I can't even imagine what Aug will be like! :eek: We do have Private Greece Tours booked for 240e, but I'm wondering what people have paid on the spot. Thank you!

Hi there,

We arranged a 6 hr taxi tour ahead of time via e-mail for our Athens visit last September. We are early risers and met the driver at 7:20 in the a.m. right next to the ship. We were the first people in line for Acropolis tickets at 7:50. The whole tour was absolutely wonderful and cost us 80 Euros. I wrote about our experience in my travel blog

http://www.pandbtraveladventures.blogspot.com

Lots of pictures! Click on the tab labeled as Sept.30 on the left side of the blog.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Petra

Hi there,

We arranged a 6 hr taxi tour ahead of time via e-mail for our Athens visit last September. We are early risers and met the driver at 7:20 in the a.m. right next to the ship. We were the first people in line for Acropolis tickets at 7:50. The whole tour was absolutely wonderful and cost us 80 Euros. I wrote about our experience in my travel blog

Lots of pictures! Click on the tab labeled as Sept.30 on the left side of the blog.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Petra

Thank you, Petra. I had actually read your blog a few weeks back and have many details from it which I have copied and pasted into my own Aug cruise files. I just emailed the taxi company you had used and, unfortunately, their rates for 4 people for the half day tour are now 140e. Still 100e less than the company I had booked, so I think I will go with your recommendation.

Does anyone have any experience with tour rates from taxis at the port, rather than pre-booking? I'm kicking myself that I didn't think to enquire when I was there on our March student trip.

Hi there,

Hope this helps!

Regards

Petra

We used Greek taxi for our party of 3. We saw all the major sites at our own pace. Our driver was George and he was wonderful . We booked ahead of time on line and he was waiting for us at the pier. If we return, we will utilize their services again. Make sure the Acropolis is your first stop as it gets very crowded.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Have a wonderful time!

Edited by celebrity