Are Member Reviews worthwhile?

English Voyager

imho you need to read then reread the reviews and then try to sort out all the different opines. Is cunard [qm2] perfect ? of course not...what is ? my wife and i are looking forward to our 7 or 8 th cruise on the qm2. we keep coming back................................................that is my review:D

imho you need to read then reread the reviews and then try to sort out all the different opines. Is cunard [qm2] perfect ? of course not...what is ? my wife and i are looking forward to our 7 or 8 th cruise on the qm2. we keep coming back................................................that is my review:D
Well said :) thank you. I agree.

(Edited to add: Of course even those who repeatedly report nothing but faults and problems with the QM2 and the service, also keep coming back... so the "issues" couldn't have been that bad, could they?)

Best wishes for your next trip on the QM2 :)

(Edited to add: Of course even those who repeatedly report nothing but faults and problems with the QM2 and the service, also keep coming back... so the "issues" couldn't have been that bad, could they?)

:)

Probably because the faults and problems are not confined to Cunard line alone, though they make it worse for themselves by selling a supposed superior service. P&O prices are much the same and P&O service is too.

Does anyone seriously think the White Star Service is anything other than a marketing slogan?

I have just returned from a cruise where service and food was vastly superior to what I have had recently with Cunard and with the happiest crew I have known, but in a ship that could not compare outside or in with any of the Cunard trio.

So when I return to Cunard it will be for the ship not the service.

David.

Edited by balf

All reviews of almost any product or service sold should be taken with a grain of salt. Most people will not chose to write a review on product or service with which they are satisfied. OTOH, it seem that there are some who would not be happy unless they can find something to complain about. When possible, I like to read other reviews by the same author and then disregard those by authors with a history of constantly complaining or continually finding fault.

I have just returned from a cruise where service and food was vastly superior to what I have had recently with Cunard and with the happiest crew I have known, but in a ship that could not compare outside or in with any of the Cunard trio.

So when I return to Cunard it will be for the ship not the service.

David.

The ship is service.

Ship design & Amenities = Service.

Service starts from designers' boards.

Things like spacious decks, promenades, spa, observation decks, ship planning, all the amenities = major parts of service.

How long Mr. Smith waited for a glass of wine - is service too but it's just like dust on the surface.

Edited by cruisetrail

if i did not like the service i see no reason to return to the ship;)....its like going back to a bad restaurant because you like the seats:eek:

Unfortunately the race to the bottom that Cunard entered some years ago leaves my little option.

David.

if i did not like the service i see no reason to return to the ship;)....its like going back to a bad restaurant because you like the seats:eek:
Very well put, thank you :) .

I have no problem with past Cunard passengers deciding that they are going to spend their £/$ (etc) elsewhere in future. I wish you well :) . If you are unhappy, move on.

I hope they enjoy their future cruises. I also hope they go to the CC board belonging to that cruise-line and tell others there how wonderful it all is :) .

However, I am very happy with the three Cunard ships (esp one ;) ) and the service I have received on board them during many voyages (but then I try to have a positive attitude to the crew, building friendly relations over time, and treat them as equals, not servants. They work hard so I don't have to).

I am faintly surprised that others should be so negative about something (Cunard) rather than be positive about something else (their new favourite line).

Maybe their glass (life?) is half-empty, or else they get perverse pleasure by moaning & constant complaining. Never truly happy unless something is going badly wrong (in their eyes). And if it isn't, well then, make it up.

I'm sure we've all met people for whom nothing is "as good as it used to be". Well I've news for them, like nostalgia, it never was.

Edited by pepperrn

I'm sure we've all met people for whom nothing "is as good as it used to be". Well I've news for them, like nostalgia, it never was.

I'm with you, Pepper. These are the good old days, especially those spent aboard QM2.

I think it's accurate to say that the economic downturn and uncertainty that many parts of the world have been experiencing in the past few years has had an effect on many industries, including the cruise industry. Many businesses have reduced the number of employees and services in an effort to maintain profits or simply to stay in business. So when some posters comment that there are less servers in the dining room or that cabin stewards now have to clean more cabins than the did in the past, or that certain amenities have been reduced, that does not strike me as coming from people whose glass (or life) is half-empty, but rather the observations of those not wearing rose colored glasses.

It is possible to have complaints, and yet still love something or someone - just ask most long-time married couples:D

... So when some posters comment that there are less servers in the dining room or that cabin stewards now have to clean more cabins than the did in the past, or that certain amenities have been reduced, that does not strike me as coming from people whose glass (or life) is half-empty, but rather the observations of those not wearing rose colored glasses.
I have to agree with you Salacia, I have also noted and made comment about the (very) occasional example of poor service, or visible cutbacks. I have tried to be balanced in my reports and reviews, bad and good. I would like to think that I am an observant fellow, and that my view is not obscured by rose-tinting.

I'm not sure when you last spent a week at sea on board QM2, I did so in December. Once again the service was exceptional. So I've booked four more trips for this year. Something I wouldn't have done had I travelled on the QM2 that some people seem to book (the one where everything, from boarding to disembarking, is a disaster. Yet still they book again... ).

It is possible to have complaints, and yet still love something or someone - just ask most long-time married couples:D
Again I agree with you. But when the complaints are continuous, endlessly repetitive and petty ("and another thing"), and not moderated by praise or any form or expression of love, many couples divorce and seek happiness elsewhere.

I look for balanced reports and reviews, I feel they tell the truth.

Edited by pepperrn

I think it's accurate to say that the economic downturn and uncertainty that many parts of the world have been experiencing in the past few years has had an effect on many industries, including the cruise industry. Many businesses have reduced the number of employees and services in an effort to maintain profits or simply to stay in business. So when some posters comment that there are less servers in the dining room or that cabin stewards now have to clean more cabins than the did in the past, or that certain amenities have been reduced, that does not strike me as coming from people whose glass (or life) is half-empty, but rather the observations of those not wearing rose colored glasses.

Well said, many on here dont quite grasp this, People are allowed to sail on cunard ship time and time again with being told to "Move on" if unhappy, we all have choice and for many Cunard is the number one choice for whatever reason, it maybe it is the only ship that sails from NYC to the UK, it maybe because it goes just where and when you want, it maybe as in my case because I enjoy the ships ships, not always the people on board mind you :eek:.

Now because we like or in some case "Love" the ship we should give up the right to see anything wrong with slipping service, we can and many do see this slip and say so on the forum.

If someone likes QM2 and travels a lot on her thats fine but if a glass of wines takes too long to arrive that wrong, a slip in service, if it was not mentioned then in time it would get worse, so we should be able to travel on QM2 and other Cunard ships and enjoy all they offer and still sometimes have a moan about the service.

I just returned from a TA on QM2 and there were many, many cut backs, but I have still booked my next cruise on QV an hope those cut baks are no longer in place or at least not got worse.

Also the idea of the forum is to say to people the good things, the amazing things about Cunard, not simply because they like to hear them , but also the Bad things, any poor service and cut backs, not just just told, Move on to another line, Cunard would rather people sailed with them, not other lines and these forums inform of the good and the bad, and Yes cunard read these forums everyday, other lines even reply on these forums, Cunard does not.

I like Cunard and I sail often, but if I see something wrong I will mention it on here as I would some good:)

Very true. I am hooked on cruising, and have tried quite a number of cruise lines, unlike many here who have sailed only with Cunard. I don't regard myself as a complainer, simply a realist. I realise this upsets some but hey ho.

I will sail Cunard again, GW and continue to hope that they are able to get their pricing sorted out to allow standards to rise.

David.

I just returned from a TA on QM2 and there were many, many cut backs, but I have still booked my next cruise on QV an hope those cut baks are no longer in place or at least not got worse.

I would appreciate you listing some of the "many, many cut backs" on the QM2.

Bob

Bob

i too would like to see this list.we were on the qm2 dec/jan and i do not recall cutbacks and please no complaints that the room service candy is .5 smaller now.:rolleyes:

Bob

Perhaps you are asking in the wrong place. If you ask Cunard they might tell you how much they have cut back on staffing levels, though I doubt it.

David.

Perhaps you are asking in the wrong place. If you ask Cunard they might tell you how much they have cut back on staffing levels, though I doubt it.

David.

No David, I think I am asking the only person who is qualified to answer. Unlike in the "reviews" section, questions and replies are the norm not the exception. If a person makes a statement of their personal experience and I wish clarification, the idea of asking Cunard to answer it is totally absurd.

Bob

Edited by BobBranst

No David, I think I am asking the only person who is qualified to answer. Unlike in the "reviews" section, questions and replies are the norm not the exception. If a person makes a statement of their personal experience and I wish clarification, the idea of asking Cunard to answer it is totally absurd.

Bob

Well said.

If there are customer service issues with a business, I wonder which the company notices on the bottom line more;

1. People voting with their feet and going elsewhere,

or

2. An anonymous moan on the chat-room of a website that (as we are repeatedly being told by some) represents only a tiny fraction of that company's customers?

I know what I would do if I experienced even half the "issues" reported here (Hint, it's not number 2).

Edited by pepperrn

I am holding my breath to hear about "many, many cut backs".

Bob

Bob, I can't tell you anything about cutbacks only my experiences. Maybe I am wrong to attribute these to cutbacks in staffing levels and there is another reason, though it is difficult to think of any.

As to asking Cunard they are the only ones who can tell us if they have reduced the ratio of passengers to staff, quoted I believe at 1 to 2.09.

David.

or

2. An anonymous moan on the chat-room of a website that (as we are repeatedly being told by some) represents only a tiny fraction of that company's customers?

I know what I would do if I experienced even half the "issues" reported here (Hint, it's not number 2).

Pepper, I regard you as a fair minded contributor here, but I hope you are not including me as an anonymous moaner. Please read my posts on this thread.

David.

I haven't noticed any real cutbacks recently but I understand that the staffing levels in the Britannia Restaurant on QM2 are set to be adjusted soon. I expect that this will take place after the World Cruise finishes. I don't know how major the changes will be. If the adjustments are being made to QM2, I expect that the other ships will also face similar treatment.