Family Vent

S.A.M.J.R.

I'm posting here because I figure folks here will understand without a lot of extra explanation.

Background...

DW & I were on Oasis last year. My parents watched our kids. We got an OTW cabana on Labadee and loved it.

We're taking the kids on Freedom in June this year and that's another stop in Labadee. We again got an OTW cabana (because we enjoyed it so much last year). So I'm telling my mom we got a cabana again and her response was "Isn't that expensive?" Then about 30 seconds later asked if we're taking the kids (three of them) on the Labadee zip line.

Let's see, it's too expensive to spend $250 on a cabana for 5 of us that we can use all day, but it would be ok to spend $95 each ($475) for something that would take an hour total. :mad: I *SO* wanted to say "when YOU'RE paying for the trip, you can determine what money gets spent on. Since WE'RE paying, WE'LL decide what's "worth it."

This is not a slam against the zip line or people who enjoy it. That's fine. It's just not "worth it" to me (especially with a family of 5). I'm sure others think getting a cabana isn't worth it to them. That's fine too. But don't comment on it. :mad:

Does your mom know how expensive the zipline is in comparison? Maybe she might want to give the kids the zipline for a present.

$250 does sound expensive but it really isn't when you consider how much the average on or off ship excursion you pick for a family and since Labadee is free for the most part I think it is a reasonable choice for the day.

Debbie

I *SO* wanted to say "when YOU'RE paying for the trip, you can determine what money gets spent on. Since WE'RE paying, WE'LL decide what's "worth it."

Why didn't you say that? If your mom was harshly criticizing your financial choices, that would be the thing to say. (Without the yelling indicted by all caps, of course!) If you tell her how much it bothers you, maybe she will be more aware and choose her comments more wisely.

My mom doesn't comment about my financial choices, but I don't think she would happily watch my three kids while I went on vacation. So count your blessings there.

Don't worry about what anyone says. Your family will have a great time!

I'm posting here because I figure folks here will understand without a lot of extra explanation.

Background...

DW & I were on Oasis last year. My parents watched our kids. We got an OTW cabana on Labadee and loved it.

We're taking the kids on Freedom in June this year and that's another stop in Labadee. We again got an OTW cabana (because we enjoyed it so much last year). So I'm telling my mom we got a cabana again and her response was "Isn't that expensive?" Then about 30 seconds later asked if we're taking the kids (three of them) on the Labadee zip line.

Let's see, it's too expensive to spend $250 on a cabana for 5 of us that we can use all day, but it would be ok to spend $95 each ($475) for something that would take an hour total. :mad: I *SO* wanted to say "when YOU'RE paying for the trip, you can determine what money gets spent on. Since WE'RE paying, WE'LL decide what's "worth it."

This is not a slam against the zip line or people who enjoy it. That's fine. It's just not "worth it" to me (especially with a family of 5). I'm sure others think getting a cabana isn't worth it to them. That's fine too. But don't comment on it. :mad:

Next time just say "well mom, what can I say ? " And leave it at that.

Background...

Both are overpriced. Zip is horribly overpriced one ride and its over in 30 seconds. Not an hour. Total time for excursion is 1 hr but the ride is nothing. All cruise ship excursions are 25% - 35% more than you pay independently. Unfortunately at labadee you dont have a choice.

Can totally relate!

We took both my mom & MIL on a cruise. My MIL has cruised in the past, so at every turn it was some comment about either what we were doing or what it costs 'now' as opposed to previously.

My bet is your mom has no clue how much the zip line costs.

Would not spend that kind of money on either one. Whats wrong with a beach umbrella. 95 dollars for a zip line is a ripp off............!

Which is fine. DW & I loved the cabana last year... towels provided, bottle water provided, floating mats provided, padded loungers, upgraded buffet, and the cabana attendant. Different strokes for different folks.

I would love to do the zip line, but do have a problem with the price. DH wouldn't do it....he's too cheap. :p

btw, we have never gotten a cabana, but if we ever sail with grand daughter, we will. I think its great (and safe) to have a place out of the sun when with kids.

Edited by 2 cruzen

Ah, how I can relate. And not even on a cruise level! This is a conversation that literally unfolded in our household a few weeks ago:

Me: You realize we just spent $1,500 on food to feed 25 people on New Year's Eve?

Gary: No big deal. It's going to be a fun night.

30 minutes later

Gary: Why did you buy two bottles of Grey Poupon mustard? Do you know how much that is?

Cue my head repeatedly banging into the counter in frustration. LOL

Richard/Tralfie

Both are overpriced. Zip is horribly overpriced one ride and its over in 30 seconds. Not an hour. Total time for excursion is 1 hr but the ride is nothing. All cruise ship excursions are 25% - 35% more than you pay independently. Unfortunately at labadee you dont have a choice.

When we did the excursion of the zip line it took almost 1 1/2 hours.

From the time you check in, waivers, orientation video, practice zip lline, ride up the mountain, and then a 1 min. and 45 sec zip line.

It was awesome.

But like others have posted, it is expensive but it was a once in a lifetime experience for us, and we loved it!...........we dont do cabanas as others do.

So it does take more than an hour of your time.

We did it and loved it.

Sea Ya