Time for Anguilla???

travel39046

We have been to St. Marteen so many times and I would like to do something different on this cruise. Do you think we would have time to take the ferry to Anguilla, rent a car or taxi and explore the island? I think we are in port for about 11 hours (7am-6pm).

From the airport (Dutch side) in SXM, you take a taxi to the ferry port, in Marigot, on the French side. It takes about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic. Taxis charge around $ 15 per person.

Ferries leave Marigot every 30 minutes on weekdays, taking about 20 minutes to the ferry Anguilla. When you arrive at Marigot, go straight to the little glassed-in desk and sign up for the next ferry. (It is more like a bus stop than a ferry port!) Debarkation in Anguilla is pretty straightforward, and you should be there easily within 30-40 mins of arrival. It takes about 10-15 mins to get there from the ferry port.

Last regular ferry leaves Marigot at 6.30 pm or 7 pm - sorry - can't remember. After that, there is no boat until the night ferry, which is advertised as leaving at 10 pm, but the last time I took it left at 11pm.

I've also taken ferries from SXM to St Barts and Saba. Can give you info for those as well if you are interested.

Edited by akeasley

Just keep in mind that if you do go over to Anguilla you need to have a valid Passport or an acceptable notarized Birth Certificate (U.S. Citizens only). When we were vacationing on St Maarten we actually saw a couple turned-away from the ferry because they did not have the proper documents.

Hank