MTD on Freedom of the Seas

I'm interested in hearing the experiences of those who have had MTD on the FOS. I've made a reservation for each night, just in case, and worst case scenario, I figure we can just adjust those in the morning if needed. But we'd really rather just walk up when we're ready and not have to plan a time in advance. I've heard mixed things about doing that. Any folks have experience trying that on the Freedom?

I made a reservation online for 6pm each night before I left for the cruise. Once on the ship, still had to make a reservation each day (after lunch) to ensure I would get the same table and wait staff. That was back in 2010. The whole process was kind of a mess. But it was new, hopefully not anymore!

I've had my reservations for awhile, but it seems they don't take them online from 6:00-7:30. I'm guessing it's because that's when the most walk ups are? We'd like to dine around 7:00 most nights, so most of our reservations are at 7:30 because that's the closest I could get.

• 2 weeks later...

My mom and I will have MTD on the Freedom this fall. If you make a reservation each night, it is likely that you will end up with the same dining staff? How far in advance are you able to make reservations? Also I don't care for tables of two, rather I prefer large tables and dining with others for company and conversation. Is there a good amount of large tables available with MTD? Can I request a large table when making a dinner reservation? Thanks for any replies. :)

We sailed on the Freedom of the Seas in May 2013 and did MTD for the very first time. We had the same time for dinner every night and requested the same waitstaff. I was pleasantly surprised and felt like it was just like having the normal early seating time we are used to. We couldn't get there every night and would just cancel our reservation. Never had to wait in the long line since we had standing reservations. The wait staff was wonderful, knew what we liked to drink every night etc. I would highly recommend it. Enjoy!:D

Edited by Annefran

I love the idea of MTD & think if it had been just DH & myself it would've been fabulous. Unfortunately, we have a large family (six kids) and with a party our size we were only able to change our reservation time once. We tried calling in the morning a couple of different times, but were told that they couldn't switch us due to it being a party of 8.

While I would've liked to be able to vary our dining a bit, it was understandable in our case. Thankfully, we had great wait staff & a decent table throughout the week.

How far in advance can you make your reservations? Also how far in advance can you reserve the specialty restaurants (which I am aware are an upcharge)? I have been afraid to commit to MTD, as I know they will add the gratuity onto my bill now. I suppose if I knew I could get the times I want, I'd be more willing to commit when I go into my reservation on RCCL's website.

• 3 weeks later...
How far in advance can you make your reservations? Also how far in advance can you reserve the specialty restaurants (which I am aware are an upcharge)? I have been afraid to commit to MTD, as I know they will add the gratuity onto my bill now. I suppose if I knew I could get the times I want, I'd be more willing to commit when I go into my reservation on RCCL's website.

I was able to make them a couple of months ago for our end of March cruise.