How many evening outfits do you take?

Lerin

I take a dress to wear every evening on the ship - 2 dressier for the more formal nights, and the remaining being more of the sundress variety. I take a sundress/coverup for each day also. So basically 2 dresses per day, then a throw in a few extra "outfits" shorts/tank as just in case. I know I overpack, but I'd rather have plenty to wear and a few extra things unworn at the end of the week, rather than having to repeat any outfits. I take a different bathing suit for each day too.

I also take a dress for every evening of the cruise and a sundress for every day. So, 2 dresses per day minimum, but I then add in a couple of extra ones, just in case. I'm another overpacker--must be a Pittsburgh thing. I've gotten much better over the years, I used to take 4 dresses a day, 28 dresses for a 7 day cruise. Yikes!

I also take a dress for every evening of the cruise and a sundress for every day. So, 2 dresses per day minimum, but I then add in a couple of extra ones, just in case. I'm another overpacker--must be a Pittsburgh thing. I've gotten much better over the years, I used to take 4 dresses a day, 28 dresses for a 7 day cruise. Yikes!

The cruise where I didn't bring extras is the cruise where I would spill red wine on myself and not have a backup. I've also used my sewing kit because of unexpected repairs that have been needed. It's possible I just like choices :)

Since I will be attending formal night this next cruise, I will take one LBD and 2 seperate sets of jewelry. The other nights I will pack one pair of nice black slacks and 3 tops. The pants wash up great and barely need pressing, the tops I don't mind wearing a couple of them twice.

I may have to take 2 pair of shoes for evening, I won't decide that until I'm packing.

I pack for no more than 5 days/evenings. Edit: I used to pack an outfit for each day/evening but I noticed I was bringing home unworn clothes. Especially the first night, many times we wouldn't change and the last night, we wanted to pack most of our stuff prior to going to dinner.

I am the same. I will wear things twice, especially pants, and you can send things out for laundering or rinse in the sink. I usually change 2 or 3 times per day so it's not a full days wear per item. I pack for 3-4 days but pack extra undies. I hate trying to lift a heavy suitcase up a curb or asking my dh to do it, and lugging a heavy suitcase through the airport and into a taxi, etc. is NOT my idea of a great vacation. I try to pack basics that I can change with accessories. For my upcoming cruise I will have a black cocktail dress for both formal nights, and one night I will wear a short blue jacket and blue earrings, and the second formal I will wear the dress with a little gold scarf/wrap. I can wear the blue jacket with many outfits, both business type and casual. I will pack 2 pairs of shoes, one pair are custom made that I got yesterday and they are black, grey, and gold, so they go with everything, and probably a pair of flats. I plan to start "sorting" stuff this weekend, and I will start washing stuff next weekend or the weekend after. I have about 5 1/2 weeks until I leave for my next cruise. I am starting to get excited about it.

I'm an "over packer". My upcoming 14 night cruise has 3 formal night and the rest are resort chic. I'm taking 4 long gowns, 6 cocktail, 1 pr white dress jeans, 1 pr black slacks, with various tops, 5 bathing suits with coverups, 2 pr shorts and snorkel gear. LOL Plus the shoes and handbags - I need a steamer trunk!!!

Wow, some of you take a lot! On our shorter cruises (under a month) I take one long dress or a cocktail dress. Although lately I don't even take that - just a pair of nice black slacks & one or two dressy tops. On longer cruises, I might take two dresses ... we had a 75 day cruise that had 16? formal nights, I just alternated them.

I'm definitely a minimalist - a couple of favorite outfits and alternate away - happy cruising to all

Since we cruise quite often I hate formal nights. The thought of taking gowns and suits just makes me crazy! I take a pair of black slacks and a couple of fancy tops. Sometimes we don't eat in the dining room to avoid all the formal stuff. My husband takes a pair of black slacks and a sports jacket! Vacations are to relax and not to worry about what to take!

Seriously, ladies, you are taking way too much! Taking a long dress on a cruise is an anachronism even on the more luxury ships, plus it takes up so much room in your bag. I usually take a a black suit and an extra jacket that can be worn with the black pant. If going to warmer climes, a white dress pant to work with both items. One black dress shoe and one dress bag. One black cocktail dress would be more than enough. You can always use a jacket with it as well. Change your accessories and it is a new outfit. My husband and I have taken cruises with carry-on luggage only and he still has taken his tuxedo!

I am so over taking things that I don't wear! Plus, you don't always see the same people every night and if you have table mates, and they comment, tell them to get over it!

Edited by ladygbs

My long dresses would take up much less space and weight than would a jacket and pants. Dress your way, and I'll dress mine. And, there still are many long dresses to be seen on cruises, even on Carnival.

No need to be rude.

Yes, I must confess, I throw in a few extra dresses as well (Just in case I'm not in the mood to wear one of the ones I've alloted to another day/night). It must be a Pittsburgh thing! lol

Personally, I don't like to re-wear anything! I find that packing dresses (long or short) rather than separates doesn't seem to take up as much space in my suitcase. Even with all I have packed for my cruise next week (more than 15 dresses), I still have tons of extra space & I'm only weighing in at 40 lbs (my suitcase that is).

Wow, some of you take a lot! On our shorter cruises (under a month) I take one long dress or a cocktail dress. Although lately I don't even take that - just a pair of nice black slacks & one or two dressy tops. On longer cruises, I might take two dresses ... we had a 75 day cruise that had 16? formal nights, I just alternated them.

We are cruising on Queen Elizabeth in Sept for 21 nights ,i have 1 LBD with 3 differnt jackets,and 1 dress which is a skirt and top so I can wear the skirt with other tops.Is this going to be enough?We have to fly to athens from Australia so have to watch the amount of luggage,also Australians seem much more relaxed about formal nights and dont 'dress up' ,I really like them as we dont seem to have many occasions in our life any more.We have cruised from australia and Hawaii before and most of the ladies dressed up but not the men ,bit of a shame love to see well dressed men !Any advice well would be very much apprieciated.

I'm trying to mentally pack for an upcoming cruise. 14 days, flight to Europe. Going from HOT HOT HOT (did I mention HOT?) and humid August weather in the California desert, to the Norwegian Fjords and up above the arctic circle. Going to be a challenge.

There will be three, possibly four formal nights. I have some dresses, could find more, but I am thinking maybe I'll take black and white crepe pants, with sparkly tops that go with either. We are also doing four meals in the specialty restaurant, including two upgrade meals, and we like to dress up a bit for those.

We are still trying to decide if we are going to spring for Business Class flights, which will ease up the luggage issues a bit.

The old dilemma - Just enough? or Just in case?

I recently went on 42 night cruise, I took 2 long gowns/dresses and washable dress slacks. I had 4 fairly dressy tops to go with slacks everything was washable so it either went to laundry or I washed in cabin. the group I went with agreed to travel light.

Seriously, ladies, you are taking way too much! Taking a long dress on a cruise is an anachronism even on the more luxury ships, plus it takes up so much room in your bag. I usually take a a black suit and an extra jacket that can be worn with the black pant. If going to warmer climes, a white dress pant to work with both items. One black dress shoe and one dress bag. One black cocktail dress would be more than enough. You can always use a jacket with it as well. Change your accessories and it is a new outfit. My husband and I have taken cruises with carry-on luggage only and he still has taken his tuxedo!

I am so over taking things that I don't wear! Plus, you don't always see the same people every night and if you have table mates, and they comment, tell them to get over it!

ButI don't want to wear a black cocktail dress. I don't ask anybody else to help with my one checked bag or one carry on so why should anyone else care? I dress for myself and no one else so that's not really a consideration for me regardless.

Edited by Ehpride

I love these boards, however, I often wonder why some come to the Fashion Boards to tell people they shouldn't bring so many outfits or shouldn't dress up. This is the "Fashion" message boards. This is for people who like fashion ,and for the most part, want to talk about it. This isn't a 'Minimalist" board. :)

I love these boards, however, I often wonder why some come to the Fashion Boards to tell people they shouldn't bring so many outfits or shouldn't dress up. This is the "Fashion" message boards. This is for people who like fashion ,and for the most part, want to talk about it. This isn't a 'Minimalist" board. :)

I don't want to put down the people who choose to pack lightly and bring capsule wardrobes. However, I don't view "overpacking" as a condition to be cured. I also don't think one checked bag is overpacking. The nice thing about summer dresses and shoes is that you can fit more of them!

I don't want to put down the people who choose to pack lightly and bring capsule wardrobes. However, I don't view "overpacking" as a condition to be cured. I also don't think one checked bag is overpacking. The nice thing about summer dresses and shoes is that you can fit more of them!

I totally agree with this! Heck...my one checked bag isn't even close to full! It only currently weighs in at 40 lbs for Saturday's flight! As far as I'm concerned, I can add another 9.5 lbs of options! lol :)

I'm trying to mentally pack for an upcoming cruise. 14 days, flight to Europe. Going from HOT HOT HOT (did I mention HOT?) and humid August weather in the California desert, to the Norwegian Fjords and up above the arctic circle. Going to be a challenge.

There will be three, possibly four formal nights. I have some dresses, could find more, but I am thinking maybe I'll take black and white crepe pants, with sparkly tops that go with either. We are also doing four meals in the specialty restaurant, including two upgrade meals, and we like to dress up a bit for those.

We are still trying to decide if we are going to spring for Business Class flights, which will ease up the luggage issues a bit.

The old dilemma - Just enough? or Just in case?

I did the Fjord cruise this past June after 3 days in London and it is wonderful! Make sure you take a rain coat. I like one with a hood so I am not so tied to the umbrella. I did the black and white pants for this cruise too. Some simple shells and a white cashmere sweater set and colorful scarves helped me make up different outfits. The tuxedo jacket did double duty for walking the deck in the evening. I would also suggest a nice shawl that can double as a scarf as it gets very windy in the ports N. of the Arctic Circle. I did take some knit gloves, but did not wear them.

One checked bag is not over packing. My personal hang up is lost luggage. On my last two cruises, fellow cruisers on my floor were missing bags. I find that a very scary prospect and that is what motivates me.

Edited by ladygbs

One checked bag is not over packing. My personal hang up is lost luggage. On my last two cruises, fellow cruisers on my floor were missing bags. I find that a very scary prospect and that is what motivates me.

I think your plan is fine as long as those items happen to fit your personal style as well. Personally, I would have to go buy black dress pants and a lbd and they would only be cruise clothes because I don't wear them at home obviously. I pack my summer clothes, which is dresses and color. And for evening, I like unique gowns and cocktail dresses. 8 pairs of shoes may seem like a lot but I'm already taking the checked bag so I may as well take advantage. I'm not going to spend time worrying about missing bags. If it happens, I'll deal with it.

I totally agree with this! Heck...my one checked bag isn't even close to full! It only currently weighs in at 40 lbs for Saturday's flight! As far as I'm concerned, I can add another 9.5 lbs of options! lol :)

Room for souvenirs :)

We leave tomorrow for our cruise. I'm packing 6 dresses for dinner (including 2 for formal nights) and 4 sundresses plus a skirt I can pair with any of the three tops I brought. Is it more than some would bring? Yes. However, I don't think it is overkill for me. Honestly, If it weren't for our snorkel gear (seriously, one small suitcase is all snorkel gear and rashguards), we would have been able to make 2 21 inch rolling carry ons and our hanging garment bag work (plus a shared personal item for camera gear and iPads).

I think it is totally up to you what you would like to bring. I am not much of a shopper on holidays and my husband is a minimal guy with his packing so I am bringing a lot of clothes, 1 gown, 1 fancy dress, 3 nice dresses, 1 sundress, 2 dress pants, tops, swimsuit, jeans and more. I packed whatever I wanted last cruise and did not even come near the limit. I also bought some new luggage this time so for the first time ever in travelling I will be taking a carry-on bag on the plane.

Bring what you like, pack what you want and throw it on the scale at home if you are worried about it being over. I think that it is your holiday and part of the fun is lining up your wardrobe for the trip. I love planning and shopping for every trip, even if it is a week in Vegas. It is all part of the fun of the whole cruise experience!! Have a great trip!