Mr Barbados....Crane Beach?

Charlie2na

Haven't heard much about this gem. Are they still allowing entrance through the hotel? We did this last year and it was our cruise highlight. Going to be there again in Jan and want to get back there.

Haven't heard much about this gem. Are they still allowing entrance through the hotel? We did this last year and it was our cruise highlight. Going to be there again in Jan and want to get back there.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed Crane! As you know, it has been voted one of the ten best beaches in the world by Conde Nast. Crane is also one of our favorite places on the island.

Yes, they still allow people to access the beach through the hotel, but there is a charge that is refundable if you have lunch there. Seems to me that the last time I heard it was US$12.50pp. We only go for lunch and dinner and don’t use the beach anymore, so I can’t be positive on the current charge for beach access (through the hotel).

If you don’t plan to have lunch or dinner and simply want to use the beach, have your taxi driver, bus driver or shuttle driver drop you off at the next round-a-bout past the hotel (to the left as you’re facing the hotel) and walk down the path and the stairs to the beach. No charge that way, as all beaches are free to the public in Barbados.

I hope you have another wonderful day at the Crane this time. Pretty hard not to, yes?

I leave you with three images of Crane Beach………………… :)

Crane Beach, Barbados with the Crane Hotel in the background

crane-beach-barbados.jpg

crane2.jpg

crane5.jpg

Thanks Mr Barbados..... Yes , I can't remember what we paid , but we had lunch anyway so beach access was free. Almost fell off my chair when we got the bill......calculated in Barbados currency. PAY ATTENTION........ no wonder the taxi driver had a smile when I paid him in full, in us money......HA!!!!! We will be back Feb 2 2006 to the most beautiful place on earth!

• 2 weeks later...

But am I the first person who wasn't allowed into the Crane?

Yes, I was driving a rental Samurai; and, yes, it was a Sunday. And, yes I was dressed casually (white cotton polo, navy silk "track" bottoms). But, yes, I was clean shaven and freshly showered. But, yes, I explained that I was off a cruise ship, (How much money did that SOB want?)

Since I was very perturbed, I just skipped the Crane beach experience altogether and made my way to the Atlantis Hotel in Bathsheba. It was wonderful; it was magical. A balcony room overlooking the ocean; the surf about 100 feet away; the waves rolling in loud and rough, with the foam lit up by the full moon; and, the full moon lighting up the boulders down the beach and bouncing irridescent rays off the the silvery white clouds.

As Mastercard would say "Priceless!"

Yes!!!! There was a guy collecting $25.00 for two lounges and an umbrella. We rented and found out later that the charge probably was in Barbados currency , which is roughly TWICE the US dollar , so the cost should have been $12.00 - 15.00 for the day. Exchange your money BEFORE doing anything. I loved the rough surf there. Dangerous undertow , but for good swimmers ,lots of fun!!! BIG WAVES TOO. Can't wait to go back. Total , including about a 35 minute taxi to and from pier, a yummy lunch and two chairs and an umbrella....... about $125.00 US. Have paid alot more on shore excursions and got alot less. It was the highlite of our last cruise.

Archived