Tranportatio options sent by hotel....

LiseD

Great information. I am just beginning to research these options. Is there a bus / train to Harwich?

No bus service from Heathrow (or Gatwick) airport to Harwich, other than ship's transfer buses. Public transport from airport to Harwich involves going into London, crossing central London, & taking the train. So it's one journey where ship's transfers are probably the best option - or private transfer if there are four or more of you.

No public bus service from central London to Harwich, but the train (see Simon's post) is an excellent way to travel.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

London Liverpool Street to Harwich international.

If your cruise date is too far out to show, for research choose a closer date, same day of the week. But the direct cruise train (around 1.00 pm?) only operates on days when there's a sailing - and as Simon's post its much more expensive at around £30, so if you can hack that change of train at Manningtree you'll save a chunk of cash.

Same for post-cruise. For airports - ship's transfer or private transfer. For time in central London - the train.

Sorry, but "city" of Harwich brought a wry smile to my face :D

It's a sleepy little town. I'm sure you'll find a decent pub & restaurant, & find it very relaxing, but there's virtually nowhere of interest in the town or within an hour's drive.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Sorry, but "city" of Harwich brought a wry smile to my face :D

It's a sleepy little town. I'm sure you'll find a decent pub & restaurant, & find it very relaxing, but there's virtually nowhere of interest in the town or within an hour's drive.

Thank you for the information. We do not have any mobility issues [yet, thank goodness] but, we will have to think about carrying suitcases up and down 13 steps.

Your comment on Harwich helped a lot--thanks. I did not want to spend all my time in London [where I know there are already too many sites to see] and miss a gem at the dock.

Now I will forget going to Harwich a day early and focus on the best way for us to get there on embarkation day.

We hope to find a few others on our roll call that want to share transport. but, we are just now in the process of booking a TA cruise for August and most of the passengers have already formed their groups for tours and transport.

We will need to wait for some other late comers. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Heathrow to hotel

Hello John,

Do you have any opinion or advice about Heathrow Shuttle? It appears to be a very workable option for us in that it picks us up at the hotel and takes us directly to the terminal. £28 is the quote for two us including luggage for a shared bus service. I can not find any recent ratings on the firm or its reliability. Thanks in advance. Patric

Hello John,

Do you have any opinion or advice about Heathrow Shuttle? It appears to be a very workable option for us in that it picks us up at the hotel and takes us directly to the terminal. £28 is the quote for two us including luggage for a shared bus service. I can not find any recent ratings on the firm or its reliability. Thanks in advance. Patric

Sorry, can't help at all with car/van transport around London.

But I've bumped this thread to the top in case anyone else can ;)

Sorry, can't help at all with car/van transport around London.

But I've bumped this thread to the top in case anyone else can ;)

Thanks again John Bull. This reply will give it another bump! :)

Does anyone else have experience or knowledge about Heathrow Shuttle? Thanks. :confused: Patric