Looking for Mediterranean Cruise Aug.2006

shellysh

We are looking to vist Rome, Venice and other cities. I know this is not the best time of year to go but has anyone out there been on a mediterranean cruise at this time of year?. Right now this is the only time I can put the time together. Is it that bad to go then? Also I seem to like the itinerary of Carnival's Liberty. What do you think?. I have been on two cruises both on Princess. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Shelly

I have to agree with anjuli. August is the time when Europeans take their vacations and you will find many places closed (not the touristy stuff, but shops and restaurants). It's also the hottest and most humid time of the year. Carnival's not my type of cruise line, so I won't give you an opinion of that.

We are looking to vist Rome, Venice and other cities. I know this is not the best time of year to go but has anyone out there been on a mediterranean cruise at this time of year?. Right now this is the only time I can put the time together. Is it that bad to go then? Also I seem to like the itinerary of Carnival's Liberty. What do you think?. I have been on two cruises both on Princess. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Shelly

You may want to go to the Reviews here on CC and see what others have said about the cruiselines/ships for the Med during the time period your thinking about going. Also do a post on the Europe board under Ports of Call and ask for opinions on August cruises in the Med.

Liberty has just started its Med this year so probably by August you'll see the reviews coming in as well as posts on the cruise.

We choose the Liberty itinerary because of the ports it would visit and it did not have alot of sea days.The pricing appears to be competitive with other lines.

We are new to cruising but not to Europe so no matter what ship you take, it's still a wonderful trip....

By the way, how do you like Princess and where did you cruise on it? We were looking at the cruiseline for a cruise next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Do not be put off by people telling you to stay away in August. Sure the spring and fall are best if you have a choice. But you can get a hot and humid spell anytime in summer or beautiful days. On a cruise you will be at the tourist places, so most shops are open, especially when the know 2500 people are coming to town! We always cruise in August since we take the kids and its nice to look forward to our end of summer cruise. Next year we already booked the Liberty. We usually cruise on Celebrity but the price difference was almost $2000 and we liked the Liberty itinerary better

Thanks for your advice. I know it will be hot but we will end the day back on the ship in the air conditioning so I will be cool then. I don't want to give up going because of the weather since for a few more years(until I retire) August is the only time for a 12 day vacation. We just need to decide on the ship. Thanks,

Shelly

Archived