Caye Caulker and Ecotours

fab4cruisers

I have been reading and researching Belize for a LONG TIME and I still don't know what to do. Hopefully I can get suggestions. I emailed Ecotours and they can do an excursion to shark alley and caye caulker ONLY if 15 or more people sign for it! We really wanted to see Caye Caulker but I'm afraid that its not going to be possible unless we do our own tour through a water taxi. We will be there from 7-5 ship time. Is it doable? or are we going to be running around and be rushed? Please advise. Thank you in advance. We will be there in March.

We went there last April with Coral Breeze, big mistake,as noted on a lot of posts. On our upcoming March cruise Carnival offers it for $104 PP, too much in my opinion...I think the water taxi is probably your best bet, as they travel about the fastest and have a regular schedule. Just have to watch your time...I do think from what I have heard though, that ECO tours would be good. You would think at least 15 people would want to go..Good luck..

Their boat crew used to be Hammerhead. They were great. My daughter used them so we booked it when we all went together, but after booking they changed crews to a small, one engine boat that we were crammed into..You are a long way out their with one motor, so if there was any trouble you would miss your ship. Wife went as an observer supposedly to enjoy the ride with chips and salsa furnished. Ever try to enjoy chips while you are plastered with salt water spray both ways, 1 1/2 hours each. Then , when we finally get back to Belize City, Praise Jesus, they pulled up against a concrete wall instead of the dock we left from, and there were some kind of armed agents waiting to check the boat and crew, but they did not detain us. I was really upset over the whole deal and demanded a refund, but only got our deposit back..Like I say, they were great at one time, but no more..

Can you tell me what problem you had with Coral breeze, we were considering the Shark/Ray snorkle trip they offer but now are a little concerned, it is so much more expensive from Carnival

Thanks so much for the info, i see carnival offers the snorkling with the sharks as well, did you actually snorkle with the rays and sharks and did you enjoy this, really undecided about Belize and what to do, we are a group of 9, two families, the kids are 18 - 23, I sure dont want to take a chance on an outside company and miss our ship to save some money, any other suggestions for Belize, Cabe tubing sound popular but I understand it is a very long drive to get there, thanks for the info on Coral Breeze

WE WERE RIGHT IN WITH THE NURSE SHARKS AND RAYS, ACTUALLY FUN..MY OTHER SUGGESTION WOULD BE BANNISTER ISLAND, ABOUT $39 PP THROUGH THE SHIP..THEY HAVE KAYAKS THERE FOR FREE USE, AND WE DID ENJOY IT.PHOTOS FROM BANNISTER.

Thanks so much for the info, i see carnival offers the snorkling with the sharks as well, did you actually snorkle with the rays and sharks and did you enjoy this, really undecided about Belize and what to do, we are a group of 9, two families, the kids are 18 - 23, I sure dont want to take a chance on an outside company and miss our ship to save some money, any other suggestions for Belize, Cabe tubing sound popular but I understand it is a very long drive to get there, thanks for the info on Coral Breeze

SANY1961.jpg

screen capture software

SANY1977.jpg

photo sharing websites

If snorkeling is a priority I'd go with the Carnival excursion to CC, Rendezvous Caye, or Goff's Caye because the trip there is quick and there's no need to tender to port unless you want to after your excursion which you have time for. Yes the price is higher but it's so much more convenient and the reviews are great.

We're in port 8 - 6 (7 - 5 Belize time) and we're taking a water taxi to CC just to see the island and relax at the Lizard and we'll have just 3.5 hrs there whether we fly back or water taxi. There are snorkel excursions from there but you really won't have a lot of time for that taking the water taxi I'm afraid.

Nio easy answers for this port unless you do one of the Cayes or a land excursion...

We are in Port 8 - 5 with The Glory, this is in August, I understand then there will be a 2 hour time difference, and we go by the ship time so when we arrive at 8:00 am it is only 6:00 a.m. Belize time, if I have this right, we will have to be back by 4:00 ship time to tender back to the ship, I think we may be best to stick to a Carnival excursion for this port

WE WERE RIGHT IN WITH THE NURSE SHARKS AND RAYS, ACTUALLY FUN..MY OTHER SUGGESTION WOULD BE BANNISTER ISLAND, ABOUT $39 PP THROUGH THE SHIP..THEY HAVE KAYAKS THERE FOR FREE USE, AND WE DID ENJOY IT.PHOTOS FROM BANNISTER.]

Last I had heard Bannister was sold and the beach break excursion now goes to Water Caye. Still a good option for that excursion and it now leaves directly from the ship. The reviews are not great, however.

Edited by blue_water

It's only 45 minutes from the port to Caye Caulker. We plan to take the water taxi over there. We'll be there next Monday (Feb 3rd) I can post our experience when we get back.

Looking forward to your report; we are thinking of taking the water taxi in March; please let everyone know how things go!

We'll be taking a water taxi to CC on Tues Feb 4 and will also report back (save some run for us kc.) :p

Bluewaterlady (milady:D) we're there next week and we're in port 8 - 6 which is 7 - 5 Belize time then and we will easily make the 9AM ferry if not the 8AM ferry. We'll need to take the 1:30 return ferry so we'll only have about 3.5 hrs there but that's enough to see a few places and have a Lizard.

Check to see how your time in port aligns with Belize time, here's one ferry schedule. You can also fly back pretty cheaply into the muni airport and spend more time on CC but the timing is too close to our departure time.

http://www.belizewatertaxi.com/#!schedule/c22wn

We'll be taking a water taxi to CC on Tues Feb 4 and will also report back (save some run for us kc.) :p

Bluewaterlady (milady:D) we're there next week and we're in port 8 - 6 which is 7 - 5 Belize time then and we will easily make the 9AM ferry if not the 8AM ferry. We'll need to take the 1:30 return ferry so we'll only have about 3.5 hrs there but that's enough to see a few places and have a Lizard.

Check to see how your time in port aligns with Belize time, here's one ferry schedule. You can also fly back pretty cheaply into the muni airport and spend more time on CC but the timing is too close to our departure time.

How did you know I love rum?! ;) I think we may use the San Pedro Express Water Taxi. They have a departure from Caye Caulker at 3:30. $22.50 pp round trip