Which cruise line for Italy?

andreaplants

Hi! I love this website! Used it extensively for my alaska cruise and had a wonderful time! We are now considering a cruise around Italy (genoa to venice sounds good). We are having a really hard time finding information and very little in the way of guide books!!

I've been reading the Europe forum but not much info for a beginner. Any advice on where to start? Which cruise line to take, the general take on this sort of cruise (as worth it as alaska or no?)

I've been to italy before (rome, perugia by bicycle, florence) and loved it. SO is not very into the bike thing but we both loved our first cruise.....

All advice welcome, thanks!

Andrea

You're not going to find any cruise in Europe that only does those Italian ports. Actually, I've not heard of a ship that stops in Genoa. Your only choice might be to take local Italian ferry boats that would cruise from city to city, but those are bascially bare bones type of ships. You will find cruises that will include stops in places like Livorno (for Florence), Civitivecchia (for Rome), Sorrento, Cinque Terre, Capri and Venice, but there will most likely be other stops in the French Riviera or Spain.

Where to start? Go to a local travel agent who specializes in cruises, ask lots of questions, take home lots of brochures and start from there.

I recently completed a 7 night Med cruise, R/T from Genoa. There were several ships there including Celebrity's Galaxy, Costa Fortuna (home port) and some European marketed vessels.

MSC Sinfonia was my ship and I enjoyed it very much, except for the fact that there were too many kids on board. My other Med cruises were planned to avoid the holiday period but this one could not be helped.

MSC has several itineraries that are all or mostly all Italian ports. The ships decor reminded me of a small Celebrity ship, the food and service much like Home Lines and Sitmar used to me.

WHat is your taste and budget? What ship did you choose for your lasyt cruise and what did you like/not like about it?

I think the Med is a lovely place to cruise and would recommend it, especially if you add on a few days there. And, Genoa is a lovely city.

CG

kitty9 - that's a great idea - we will see if we can find an agent and try that

CG - thanks for your post - I've heard similar things about MSC Sinfonia - Here's the answers to your questions:

We chose the Coral princess for our first cruise (it chose us via an email offer too good to refuse - right time, right place) - to alaska. We loved almost everything about it (have a review under alaska) - only things we didn't like:

1. Although I would love a smaller ship so we could get closer to things - I think I need a big ship for anti-seasickness. Even more so (this may sound horrible to some people) - Although I am friendly I am not looking to make new friends on a cruise. We did end up making friends with a couple that we will stay in touch with but that was pure luck. I think at least 2000 people or even more may be what I need!

2. We didn't like the selling - specifically the waiter's assistant pushing us to buy a cookbook at dinner even after we said we had already seen it at the demonstration and that we didn't want it but thanks. He still persisted two more times to ask. All the other selling and pushing (drinks, carts, etc) was understandable and didn't interfere with our little fantasy world of utopia on the cruise.

3. Budget - not sure - way early in the planning (thinking this year if we find something amazing or next year) for princess we lucked out like crazy and it was only $749 each for a balcony for 7 nights. We spent more than that on two excursions - for italy, we would probably spend that much (3200 total) or more, depending how much we've saved, etc and see the ports ourselves esp. since I've been there before

Thank you!!!

Andrea

Archived