Lost luggage

laktex

Having just flown in from NY and lost my luggage I was reminded of the gentleman who I spoke to in the Commodore Club on QE last week whose luggage was lost/mislaid in Southampton.

You actually do not get a receipt for handing in your luggage in Southampton (or other ports for that matter) - this does seem rather strange and surely must be a little bit of a problem when it comes down to insurance claims. Any experiences from others?

Okay, I have to ask. How did you manage the entire crossing without your luggage? After all, we all know how much planning goes into the packing.

I do not recall the name of the gentleman who lost his bag, he is from Sydney so I guess he is still on board ship. I also do not wish to betray anything confidential. However, No 1 is this matter of no receipt for your luggage so as I understand it Cunard were questioning if the bag was actually handed in (or still in the taxi). Ultimately they did find it and were forwarding it to NY.

His insurance originated in Australia which didn't help matters.

On a TA there is obviously not much you can do but go to the shops on board, although I understand they offered that he could go and see if there was anything in lost property that may be of any use!!! He did however get some attire from the shops but then felt he looked branded "Cunard" with the logo on most apparel.

I trust he is now reunited with his bag.

BA lost my luggage on a Cunard arranged flight from the UK to the USA. We returned to the UK on QM-2. The ship's purser told me that most luggage losses in the UK are on the coaches from all over the country to Southampton docks. Everyone piles off the coaches in Southampton and dash for the check-in desks leaving the poor drivers unloading all the luggage. Sometimes they forget to open all the luggage compartments, some of the smaller ones, and then drive off from whence they came with luggage. The ship has often sailed before it is realised that luggage is not on board. Be warned!!

BA lost my luggage on a Cunard arranged flight from the UK to the USA. We returned to the UK on QM-2. The ship's purser told me that most luggage losses in the UK are on the coaches from all over the country to Southampton docks. Everyone piles off the coaches in Southampton and dash for the check-in desks leaving the poor drivers unloading all the luggage. Sometimes they forget to open all the luggage compartments, some of the smaller ones, and then drive off from whence they came with luggage. The ship has often sailed before it is realised that luggage is not on board. Be warned!!

Thanks for this. I always watch my luggage carefully. I make sure it's taken out of the transit vehicle and placed in the Cunard piles. Now I don't feel as though I have been over-cautious all these years; I feel as though I've been doing just the right thing.

Our only experience with "lost luggage" was with White Star putting our luggage on the wrong ship in NYC.!

It was the transatlantic tandem crossing when we were on the QE2 and our luggage was on the QM2.

We were luckily reunited with our luggage in Southampton!

Did the ship loan you clothes or did you have room service for a week?

Did the ship loan you clothes or did you have room service for a week?

Cunard gave my daughter and me a small stipend each for necessities and FREE laundry and dry cleaning for the TA!

My daughter made us tags with "LOST LUGGAGE CLUB" on them which we wore the whole time so other passengers would know why we wore the same clothes for a week!

We had lots of fun with the situation. When one has lemons, make lemonade!

Thanks for this. I always watch my luggage carefully. I make sure it's taken out of the transit vehicle and placed in the Cunard piles. Now I don't feel as though I have been over-cautious all these years; I feel as though I've been doing just the right thing.

Yes, I do the same and accompany my luggage until the very last moment possible. In Dubai, for instance, it's possible to follow it right into the departure store - much to the amusement of those watching me :D.

We've never had a problem with lost luggage on Cunard but a few months back on a RC cruise to Alaska a lovely couple we met on board lost all of their bags.

There were huge lines to check in bags in the cruise terminal in Vancouver, one side was for the RC ship to Alaska, the other side was for the RC ship to Hawaii. All the bags were then being put in large vans and taken away. This couple's bags were put in the wrong van and ended up being loaded onto the wrong ship!

The cruise line was less than helpful to begin with but eventually gave them $150 each to purchase some clothes in the shops which didn't go very far but they were able to lend stuff from other people.

But what can you do? Once you hand over your bags you expect (or hope!) that you will find them in your stateroom, not sent off on another ship!:eek:

We always attached double labels to each bag, smile nicely and/or tip the porter or longshore man depending on where qwe are and hope for the best!

We've never had a problem with lost luggage on Cunard but a few months back on a RC cruise to Alaska a lovely couple we met on board lost all of their bags.

There were huge lines to check in bags in the cruise terminal in Vancouver, one side was for the RC ship to Alaska, the other side was for the RC ship to Hawaii. All the bags were then being put in large vans and taken away. This couple's bags were put in the wrong van and ended up being loaded onto the wrong ship!

The cruise line was less than helpful to begin with but eventually gave them $150 each to purchase some clothes in the shops which didn't go very far but they were able to lend stuff from other people.

But what can you do? Once you hand over your bags you expect (or hope!) that you will find them in your stateroom, not sent off on another ship!:eek:

We always attached double labels to each bag, smile nicely and/or tip the porter or longshore man depending on where qwe are and hope for the best!

As you say $150 doesn't go far in a cruise ship shop. Luggage on the wrong ship is potentially worse than leaving it shoreside.

This is my point that the cruise company should provide you with a receipt for the luggage and there should be some convention that you have a respectable sum of money from them to sort out some clothing. Trying to sort out insurance once you have embarked must be a nightmare.