Yet another booking problem thread

Medtech2

So, I have been off and on having great customer service than confusing (read bad) customer service ever since I booked my October cruise LAST May. I am posting only to alert others as to what to watch for and also to note that there seems to be a lot more complaints lately about booking, making changes, etc, and I may as well add another one.

Perhaps if NCL notices they can either remedy or clarify policies.

First a brief background. Our 2010 Epic cruise was booked through a timeshare, using points to lower the initial cost. I was a newbie and that was definitely not the way to go. Using those points did not really save me anything and I did not know if I could upgrade or take advantage of price drops since RCI booked it for me. Great cruise, though.

Our Sun cruise was booked through a PCC. He was not very accomodating as far as changes or lower prices and his stock answer was "no" to every question I had. Another great cruise, though.

Our Breakaway cruise was also booked through him but because of his unhelpfulness I booked our Getaway cruise myself, through the 800 number last May, way before we ever cruised Breakaway. He actually called to chastise me for not giving him the booking(!) However he stepped up to the plate as far as the Breakaway booking and when I would call about price changes or extra OBC offers he made the changes. THE ORIGINAL BOOKING DATE ALWAYS STAYED THE SAME. This is important as booking more than 9 months out gets you extra Latitude points.

So, now to the Getaway booking. We first had an inside. We also had the HSN $100 OBC. Then there was a price drop. Called the 800 number. The change was made and THE ORIGINAL BOOKING DATE STAYED THE SAME. Still had the HSN credit but now also an additional $100 OBC. Then there was another price drop and we moved to a balcony for the same price. Still had the HSN OBC but the other OBC dropped to $30, which was okay because we got a balcony and supposedly it was a Latitude offer, which would mean we got triple points (1for each night, 1 extra booking more than 9 months out, 1 extra for a Latitude offer). AGAIN THE ORIGINAL BOOKING DATE STAYED THE SAME. Now this past week-end I noticed they were still having a sale but the OBC had increased to $100. I called, JUST TO CHECK IF IT WOULD BE COMBINABLE. The guy on the other end, instead of looking at the whole picture first, CANCELLED my booking to "rebook" the new offer, before I even said yes, do it. I was merely asking a question! Of course, then we got cut off and I had to call back.

Over an hour later they had fixed his trigger finger but NOW MY $100 HSN OBC is gone. Okay, we need to fix that! Except they said it was irretrievable computerwise. But wait, they gave good customer service because they are giving me the $100 as an "amenity." I am okay with that except for this:

MY BOOKING DATE IS NOW JANUARY 19, 2014, NOT MAY 30, 2013, so is now LESS THAN 9 MONTHS OUT. Kiss my triple points goodbye. God(just kidding) and Jorge the PCC I did not use, are punishing me...

So, the moral of this convoluted tale? Make sure they understand if you call that you are exploring options FIRST, before they just jump in and make changes. ALSO BE AWARE THAT THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO CONSISTENCY WHEN IT COMES TO KEEPING YOUR ORIGINAL BOOKING DATE. Obviously in the past on my Breakaway cruise and this cruise, until now, the original booking date was preserved. Suddenly I think because they might have passively aggressively resented the trouble caused by the loss of my HSN OBC, my booking date was "updated" also. Does it matter in the grand scheme of things? Well, after this cruise with triple points I would be just 3 points shy of Platinum vs now I will be 10 points shy. So close that it does make a difference as far as what the minimum cruise I would have to take to reach the goal.

Anyway, to sum it up, calling the 800 number gets you different people, with different answers each and every time. Some have been great. Some have been nightmares. You can get cut off in the middle of a conversation and there is no way to get the same person back as they are not allowed to call you back. There is no consistency as far as preserving booking dates, if it is important for points. If someone hits the wrong button and a specialized OBC, such as the HSN disappears, it is gone for good.

Please do not take the time to pick apart my saga. I am not debating. I am just presenting another example. Am I happy? Mostly. I got a great bumpout balcony for a price I am happy with. I still have OBC, just not in its original form. BUT I have lost coveted points. PLUS now when I call my "file" is covered in footnotes, as if I have been sent to the principle's office. (how do you make a smiley blowing raspberries?)

This stinks I would be more upset about missing out on the triple points considering I stick with ncl not only because I like the product but also because I want to get to a higher level in the loyalty program before trying other lines! I've yet to get more than 7 pts per cruise but the one I have booked in October would be worth 14 since booked 9 months out so I guess I won't be calling if I see a price drop! Oh well!

So you are saying NCL customer reps are completely hit and miss. Good and bad, and horrible. Most of us have known that for quite awhile. I don't trust anything an NCL rep tells me. I triple check it if possible and always get it in writing.

I've noticed this about most call centers. Call three different times get three answers it's not just ncl.

I've noticed this about most call centers. Call three different times get three answers it's not just ncl.

Oh my goodness you are so right. These call centers (doesn't matter which company) are enough to drive anyone batty.

I just dealt with 2 (not NCL) this week alone and had to make numerous calls to get the right answer grrrrr.

Customer service now a days suck. And we could all boycott the companies that give us bad service but then again, I'm pretty sure, if we did that we wouldn't own anything or go on any vacations.

Edited by che5904

In a panic, I realized I called NCL last week to take advantage of a drop in price for my July cruise that I booked last August. Luckily they did not change my Booking date.

Thanks for the heads-up! I was going to pull my reservation and switch it to TA that's less money. I need to think twice about they now!

Hmmmm...extra points or discount? Tough call :confused:

Edited by dinkydee718
Typos

I totally agree! See my thread "Ugh!".

I booked directly with NCL and as I posted my thread, there were a few more details I did not include in it. Once everything gets straightened out, it will be smooth sailing and a great cruise had by all! It's just getting to that point that is proving to be challenging, and these things not shared with the rest of my family. Why bother? Some are so convoluted as well, they seem trivial. What scared me was, if you read my thread, when the NCL rep called the other day asking for more money (I thought I was paid in full when I booked it!) she said she was calling to avoid them asking for it when we arrive at the pier! Now keep in mind, at the time of booking, the rep asked me if anyone belonged to AARP, and we did, everything was set in motion by NCL, I just called to book a cruise, knowing full well what the cost would be about. Can you imagine getting to the pier and them asking for an additional $500 for something you thought was paid in full!

Little things - for instance, when one of our cabin's confirmations was emailed to me the amount paid, including bar set up and excursions, did not agree with what it showed on myNCL reservation online?? Apparently, amenities (like additional OBC purchased) are shown on a separate confirmation receipt not forwarded with cabin confirmation receipt unless specifically requested?? So, the total amount paid did not agree, seems confusing to me at least. And the whole reason it frustrates me is I want to be able to arrive at the pier with the intention all is well and I won't have any issues to iron out at check in or at the guest services desk onboard - I mean, after all, I paid for it all beforehand! My worst fear is to have my family impatiently waiting while I hash things out amidst a crowd of people also waiting to get onboard and having to start the cruise off on the wrong foot.

Strange as it sounds, on the flip side, they pleasantly surprised me with a few things they did for us for this sailing that made me glad to be cruising Norwegian! I am not a negative person, have a lot of patience and see it as a privilege problem. Needless to say, I will arrive at the pier with copies of everything!

I totally agree! See my thread "Ugh!".

I booked directly with NCL and as I posted my thread, there were a few more details I did not include in it. Once everything gets straightened out, it will be smooth sailing and a great cruise had by all! It's just getting to that point that is proving to be challenging, and these things not shared with the rest of my family. Why bother? Some are so convoluted as well, they seem trivial. What scared me was, if you read my thread, when the NCL rep called the other day asking for more money (I thought I was paid in full when I booked it!) she said she was calling to avoid them asking for it when we arrive at the pier! Now keep in mind, at the time of booking, the rep asked me if anyone belonged to AARP, and we did, everything was set in motion by NCL, I just called to book a cruise, knowing full well what the cost would be about. Can you imagine getting to the pier and them asking for an additional $500 for something you thought was paid in full!

Little things - for instance, when one of our cabin's confirmations was emailed to me the amount paid, including bar set up and excursions, did not agree with what it showed on myNCL reservation online?? Apparently, amenities (like additional OBC purchased) are shown on a separate confirmation receipt not forwarded with cabin confirmation receipt unless specifically requested?? So, the total amount paid did not agree, seems confusing to me at least. And the whole reason it frustrates me is I want to be able to arrive at the pier with the intention all is well and I won't have any issues to iron out at check in or at the guest services desk onboard - I mean, after all, I paid for it all beforehand! My worst fear is to have my family impatiently waiting while I hash things out amidst a crowd of people also waiting to get onboard and having to start the cruise off on the wrong foot.

Strange as it sounds, on the flip side, they pleasantly surprised me with a few things they did for us for this sailing that made me glad to be cruising Norwegian! I am not a negative person, have a lot of patience and see it as a privilege problem. Needless to say, I will arrive at the pier with copies of everything!

Oh, one part I had left out was when the first call was cut off and I had called back my cabin number had been changed from my coveted bumpout on 10 to another lesser cabin on 9. "Computer did that" was the explanation from the different rep, when the first guy hit the "cancel" button....

Luckily no one had yet snagged my bumpout and she quickly grabbed it. I know the first guy was the problem. Usually the rep will "play" with the booking, to see how changes affect prices, OBC, what is combinable, etc, before hitting "save." I know at my work if I don't hit "save" I can back out of things. If I had lost that cabin I was just going to cancel and get my deposit back, it was that aggravating.

Please do not take the time to pick apart my saga. I am not debating. I am just presenting another example. Am I happy? Mostly. I got a great bumpout balcony for a price I am happy with. I still have OBC, just not in its original form. BUT I have lost coveted points. PLUS now when I call my "file" is covered in footnotes, as if I have been sent to the principle's office. (how do you make a smiley blowing raspberries?)

The same thing happened to me with "the principle's office" :o I called CAS on Monday to inquire about paying to upgrade from B6 to B1...sounded like too much considering I already paid to upgrade from BA to B6. Well when I went online on Tuesday the price difference seemed lower, I called and the CAS rep was really snippy with me saying "it's in your file that you were quoted $230 per person yesterday"...I explained that I was aware of what I was told yesterday however it looks like it's priced differently online today. Well needless to say I wasn't happy with what I was told so I did the good ol' call back and hope someone else answers but was on hold for close to 45 mins and hung up...figured I should just stick with what I have since I was "scolded" for calling 2 days in a row LOL

So, I have been off and on having great customer service than confusing (read bad) customer service ever since I booked my October cruise LAST May. I am posting only to alert others as to what to watch for and also to note that there seems to be a lot more complaints lately about booking, making changes, etc, and I may as well add another one.

Perhaps if NCL notices they can either remedy or clarify policies.

First a brief background. Our 2010 Epic cruise was booked through a timeshare, using points to lower the initial cost. I was a newbie and that was definitely not the way to go. Using those points did not really save me anything and I did not know if I could upgrade or take advantage of price drops since RCI booked it for me. Great cruise, though.

Our Sun cruise was booked through a PCC. He was not very accomodating as far as changes or lower prices and his stock answer was "no" to every question I had. Another great cruise, though.

Our Breakaway cruise was also booked through him but because of his unhelpfulness I booked our Getaway cruise myself, through the 800 number last May, way before we ever cruised Breakaway. He actually called to chastise me for not giving him the booking(!) However he stepped up to the plate as far as the Breakaway booking and when I would call about price changes or extra OBC offers he made the changes. THE ORIGINAL BOOKING DATE ALWAYS STAYED THE SAME. This is important as booking more than 9 months out gets you extra Latitude points.

So, now to the Getaway booking. We first had an inside. We also had the HSN $100 OBC. Then there was a price drop. Called the 800 number. The change was made and THE ORIGINAL BOOKING DATE STAYED THE SAME. Still had the HSN credit but now also an additional $100 OBC. Then there was another price drop and we moved to a balcony for the same price. Still had the HSN OBC but the other OBC dropped to $30, which was okay because we got a balcony and supposedly it was a Latitude offer, which would mean we got triple points (1for each night, 1 extra booking more than 9 months out, 1 extra for a Latitude offer). AGAIN THE ORIGINAL BOOKING DATE STAYED THE SAME. Now this past week-end I noticed they were still having a sale but the OBC had increased to $100. I called, JUST TO CHECK IF IT WOULD BE COMBINABLE. The guy on the other end, instead of looking at the whole picture first, CANCELLED my booking to "rebook" the new offer, before I even said yes, do it. I was merely asking a question! Of course, then we got cut off and I had to call back.

Over an hour later they had fixed his trigger finger but NOW MY $100 HSN OBC is gone. Okay, we need to fix that! Except they said it was irretrievable computerwise. But wait, they gave good customer service because they are giving me the $100 as an "amenity." I am okay with that except for this:

MY BOOKING DATE IS NOW JANUARY 19, 2014, NOT MAY 30, 2013, so is now LESS THAN 9 MONTHS OUT. Kiss my triple points goodbye. God(just kidding) and Jorge the PCC I did not use, are punishing me...

So, the moral of this convoluted tale? Make sure they understand if you call that you are exploring options FIRST, before they just jump in and make changes. ALSO BE AWARE THAT THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO CONSISTENCY WHEN IT COMES TO KEEPING YOUR ORIGINAL BOOKING DATE. Obviously in the past on my Breakaway cruise and this cruise, until now, the original booking date was preserved. Suddenly I think because they might have passively aggressively resented the trouble caused by the loss of my HSN OBC, my booking date was "updated" also. Does it matter in the grand scheme of things? Well, after this cruise with triple points I would be just 3 points shy of Platinum vs now I will be 10 points shy. So close that it does make a difference as far as what the minimum cruise I would have to take to reach the goal.

Anyway, to sum it up, calling the 800 number gets you different people, with different answers each and every time. Some have been great. Some have been nightmares. You can get cut off in the middle of a conversation and there is no way to get the same person back as they are not allowed to call you back. There is no consistency as far as preserving booking dates, if it is important for points. If someone hits the wrong button and a specialized OBC, such as the HSN disappears, it is gone for good.

Two comments:

1) There are Latitude Offers that give special pricing and/or OBC for Latitude members. There are also the monthly Latitude Insider Offers. Only the Insider offers give the extra point for Latitudes...you may want to veryify which type of Latitudes Offer that you received. (FWIW...Latitudes Insider Offers always use the Promo code LATITUDES).

2) Thank you for sharing your story. It speaks volumes about the benefits of finding a knowledable travel professional (PCC or TA) and always working with that person. (Whats the old saying about too many cooks?) It makes me feel lucky that my account is in trusted and capable hands.

Just so you know, the HSN $100 OBC doesn't show up on the invoice, but it will be on your account when you get onboard. I know because I had it last year on the Epic, and I have it this year on the Getaway. It's hooked up to your latitude number, and has nothing at all to do with current promotions, etc. :)

I always ask for a copy of the amenities invoice and take it with me for the cruise. It is no fun to think you have something and then get there and find out "oh sorry - we don't see that". Had that happen on a land based cruise.

I would maybe suggest contacting the Latitudes department directly about this. They have always been very helpful when I have contacted them. Worth a try any way. I'm watch my points too. If my figures are correct I will be Platinum after my cruise in September.

I always ask for a copy of the amenities invoice and take it with me for the cruise. It is no fun to think you have something and then get there and find out "oh sorry - we don't see that". Had that happen on a land based cruise.

I would maybe suggest contacting the Latitudes department directly about this. They have always been very helpful when I have contacted them. Worth a try any way. I'm watch my points too. If my figures are correct I will be Platinum after my cruise in September.

If you don't mind my asking, what exactly is a "land based cruise"?

Really? I was under the impression all other call centers give 100% accurate answers everytime..........

I guess since other call centers stink it's ok that NCL call centers stink too. Race to the bottom?

Really? I was under the impression all other call centers give 100% accurate answers everytime..........

I guess since other call centers stink it's ok that NCL call centers stink too. Race to the bottom?

Not OK. Just a common issue with call centers.

Two comments:

1) There are Latitude Offers that give special pricing and/or OBC for Latitude members. There are also the monthly Latitude Insider Offers. Only the Insider offers give the extra point for Latitudes...you may want to veryify which type of Latitudes Offer that you received. (FWIW...Latitudes Insider Offers always use the Promo code LATITUDES).

2) Thank you for sharing your story. It speaks volumes about the benefits of finding a knowledable travel professional (PCC or TA) and always working with that person. (Whats the old saying about too many cooks?) It makes me feel lucky that my account is in trusted and capable hands.

I just looked back at my invoices. :(

My December Invoice had "Latitudes" and this one says "Latoffer"

Now all I can do is wait until after the cruise to present my case to the Latitudes Department...so many lessons learned

Just so you know, the HSN $100 OBC doesn't show up on the invoice, but it will be on your account when you get onboard. I know because I had it last year on the Epic, and I have it this year on the Getaway. It's hooked up to your latitude number, and has nothing at all to do with current promotions, etc. :)

Not in this case. I specifically asked about my HSN OBC and they said it was only for bookings made by June 30, which I had done. But when that guy cancelled me and they rebooked me the HSN went "poof"

Heres what I get from all of this .. If you go back to the well to many times , eventually something is going to give , mistakes made .

And yes , I agree the phone centers are stink-ola . ;)

Happy sailing

I agree. You are so right. I am naive to not even realize it was a call center! Duh. I was told there were 15 other reps at the concierge desk. Oh well. Live and learn. So ready to go - soooo cold here!

Not in this case. I specifically asked about my HSN OBC and they said it was only for bookings made by June 30, which I had done. But when that guy cancelled me and they rebooked me the HSN went "poof"

I know from my own past booking experiences that the NCL computer system has more than one way to make changes. One way results in a new booking date and the other does not. In my case, it seems the my more experienced PCC and the experienced call center reps can make any (upgrade) changes without changing the booking date while the majority of the call center reps only know the way that changes the booking date.

If your scenario happened to me, I would try e-mailing the Latitudes department with .pdf copies of my proof of the original dating of my booking. They will take a long time to get back with you, but I would do it before you cruise. I am afraid if you wait until after the cruise, they will not help you, but will say you should have straightened it out beforehand. Best of luck!

Because of all the price drops [ people not booking fast enought] NCL is all screw up. I guest they never had this before. They are being not very nice, and upsetting loyal cruisers. I think people are going to think twice before booking with them again. Or they are going to book at the last minute. makeing them even droppi:mad:ng the prices more.

Huh?????