Baltics Cruise

Gil2625

Please can anyone recommend a cruise taking in definitely St. Petersburg and Copenhagen as MUST do other destinations all a bonus don't particularly want to include Oslo. I want to go as near as possible to 17th September for Husbands' 70th but on investigation so far cannot find a cruise leaving UK after mid to end of August am I missing something any info would be gratefully received.

Errr, yes. You're missing something :D

P&O's Adonia, sails 12th September from the end of your road, includes Copenhagen and 2 days St Petersburg, and birthday in Estonia.

http://www.pocruises.com/d414?Search=true

Or NCL have sailings out of Copenhagen on 4th & 13th Sept, itinerary again includes 2 days in St Pete's. Not so convenient, of course, means flying to Copenhagen but that would allow you to spend a day or three in Copenhagen pre or post-cruise.

Or Cruise & Maritime's Marco Polo out of Tilbury, 21st September or 15th October (best wrap up warm for that one :D), again includes Copenhagen & 2 days in St Pete's. But Marco Polo is an acquired taste, folk love it or hate it, so do check reviews before plunging in. And the Stockholm call doesn't sail through the beautiful archipelago to berth in Stockholm, it calls at Nynashamn -on the coast & an hour's travel from Stockholm.

Adonia is probably your best bet.

BTW, if you've been scanning cruisers websites, you'll know that P&O have been struggling to fill their two big ships in the Caribbean & folk have been getting some amazing late-booked bargains (gotta admit, we did too :)).

That's very unlikely for Adonia to Baltic, a much smaller ship & a comparatively off-beat itinerary - so best to book in good time.

JB :)

Thanks John Bull for interesting info we only down the road from you in Chandler's Ford. Must admit did to look too hard on P&O Site as had mini cruise last year on Azura and did not like the ship much. Have you experience of Adonia? Going to look on website now then.

Sorry, don't know Adonia. She's the smallest in P&O's fleet, with 700 passengers.

But I have sailed Azura - one of P&O's biggies with 3000 passengers.

And Aurora - mid-size, with 1800 passengers.

Chalk & cheese, much more friendly & laid-back on Aurora.

Have sailed ships of Adonia's size & enjoyed them immensely, much more cosy & friendly than the leviathons.

Will say that I have one worry about P&O's adults-only ships.

I just worry whether they might be full of grumpy seriously-old (older than your hubby, & I'm not far behind him) fogies.

The odd review does tend to confirm that, but reviews are generally pretty good.

Don't worry about old fogies. We've been on Arcadia frequently, and my mother's been on Adonia once, and we found very few old fogies. And those few don't move very fast, so they're easy to dodge. ;)

Not when they're in their damned chariots :D

Please can anyone recommend a cruise taking in definitely St. Petersburg and Copenhagen as MUST do other destinations all a bonus don't particularly want to include Oslo. I want to go as near as possible to 17th September for Husbands' 70th but on investigation so far cannot find a cruise leaving UK after mid to end of August am I missing something any info would be gratefully received.

As far as I know it is too cold by the in that part of the world have a look at HAL's Baltic and Kiel Canal cruise for destinations which may appeal to you but I don't think they run that late.

We did a Baltic cruise last year departing on 19th September. We went with Fred Olsen from Southampton. We took clothes for all weathers, but it was quite warm everywhere and about 28C the day we were in Tallin. We really enjoyed it and would do another Baltic cruises with a different itinerary.

• 1 month later...

I have just booked an Oceania 12 day Baltic cruise on the Nautica which begins on September 15, 2014 in London (Southhampton) and ends in Copenhagen on the 27th. Look for 'Nordic Splendors' on the Oceania website.

Happy travels!

As far as I know it is too cold by the in that part of the world have a look at HAL's Baltic and Kiel Canal cruise for destinations which may appeal to you but I don't think they run that late.

No not at all, September can be quite nice especially those years when the summer decided to stay for a few weeks extra. ;) :cool:

Sure, you probably won't get 20-25C+ days but temps could still be close 20C.

But you'll never know until September is upon you.

Edited by Desdichado62