Will Quantum go to Bermuda

toontoy

I am wondering if Quantum will be going to Bermuda anytime soon. I haven't ever been and looking at most itineraries they leave from the NY area. Having to fly from the west I thought it would be worth it to go on the newer ship but I didnt see it going that way.

I am wondering if Quantum will be going to Bermuda anytime soon. I haven't ever been and looking at most itineraries they leave from the NY area. Having to fly from the west I thought it would be worth it to go on the newer ship but I didnt see it going that way.

I believe there will be Bermuda itineraries added when Royal releases more 2015 cruises this Spring.

Not at least until sometime in 2015, maybe. Quantum is still under construction in Germany and is not scheduled to be completed until later this year.

I mentioned maybe because there might be an issue with Quantum not being able to dock in Bermuda due to it's size and the need to further dredge the channel going into the dock area.

from Royal Caribbean Blog 12/18 -

Quantum of the Seas too big for Bermuda

Posted: Wed, 2013-12-18 09:14

Simulation tests have proven that Royal Caribbean's newest cruise ship that is currently under construction, Quantum of the Seas, is too big to be able to dock in Bermuda.

The Bermuda Sun reports the tests revealed the existing North and South Channels were not big enough to safely accommodate the vessel, especially in high winds. If Bermuda wants to be able to host Quantum of the Seas, then dredging will need to begin soon.

A Government spokesman told the Bermuda Sun: "The principle dimensions of the vessel, in particular, its predicted draft at 8.5M, was an early indication and evidence that modifications to either channel would be required to ensure safe transit of the vessel.

"The recently completed simulation exercise provided real-time information on the vessel’s performance, maneuvering and handling characteristics under various wind and speed conditions.

"The simulation exercise also provided critical data on channel depth and width requirement in specific areas.

"Technical officers from the Ministry of Public Works in consultation with the Department of Marine & Ports will analyze the simulation report and trial run data, and then provide recommendations that will be considered by Cabinet."

SBtS

Interesting that they say it's because of the draft. I was there on the Explorer of the Seas which has a draft of 28 feet (8.5 meters). :confused:

I read another article on this and in addition to the stated draft issue another issue was the length of the ship and the channel width. Apparently in some parts of the channel it's width is not very wide and the ship has to make turns during it's approach. It was mentioned that the dredging would make the channel wider in addition to increasing the depth. Quantum is quite a few feet longer than the Explorer.

That is interesting. I didn't realize how much larger quantum will be over the ncl ship

The Quantum will be the second largest ship in Royal Caribbean's fleet. It falls between the Freedom Class ships and the Oasis Class ships. It is only slightly bigger than the NCL Breakaway mainly in length and tonnage.

Sometimes I wonder if my posts are written in that new invisible font! :)

FYI, for anyone interested, the length of a ship combined with a narrow channel can cause a significant problem, and as the article mentioned, particularly when crosswinds are in play.

A ship moving through the water with a cross current (either water or wind) must steer with a vector into (the nose of the ship turned into the direction of) the cross current. This is very much more obvious for airplanes and winds, but it applies to ships as well.

If a ship wants to travel in a due west direction, and steers (points) due west, a 25 knot wind from the north will blow the ship to the left, resulting in a course south of due west. To compensate for this, the ship must steer to the right a few degrees, so that the wind blows the ship back onto the proper course of due west. When this happens, the ship is actually moving slightly sideways through the water, but it would be very difficult for one to notice by observation since ships are so big and the side movement is relatively small.

This is fine and dandy in the open ocean. But when you are in a channel that is only a few feet wider than the ship's width, you cannot "point" the ship far enough to the side of the direction of travel without the front or the back extending out of the channel. And if you can't point it far enough to compensate for the sideways movement added by the wind, it will be blown into the side of the channel.

If you widen the channel, then there is room for the ship to transit the channel at an angle, without either end hitting the side of the channel.

This problem affected my cruise to Bermuda on Empress of the Seas. We were supposed to move to St. Georges, but the cross winds across the Town Cut were too great, and the ship would have blown into the side of the cut. This is never a good thing. We had to stay in Hamilton, instead.

I hope that makes sense, it's much easier if you can draw a picture.

Theron

Edited by TPKeller

The Quantum will be the second largest ship in Royal Caribbean's fleet. It falls between the Freedom Class ships and the Oasis Class ships. It is only slightly bigger than the NCL Breakaway mainly in length and tonnage.

The Quantum will be only slightly larger than Freedom class.

Quantum will be the third largest ship in the RCL fleet. (Behind Allure and Oasis)

Quantum will be the third largest ship in the RCL fleet. (Behind Allure and Oasis)

I meant to say second largest ship class after the Oasis Class. I accidentally omitted the word class. Ooopps.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app