The Truth About Forward Facing Balconies on the Royal Princess

emileg

We just returned from a TA sailing in M107 with its huge balcony. This is an L shaped minisuite with the balcony door off the living room and a large picture window in the bedroom facing forward. The small couch is not a sofa bed.

The pluses, very quiet location convenient to the Princess theater and spectacular views. There are 2 chaise loungrpes, a table and chairs, all padded teak furniture. I liked the large square sink in the batroom.

The negative, a lot of noise if the seas are rough and the stabilizers are working hard. A couple of nights the chaise lounges "danced" all over the deck and at times, crashed into the side of our cabin. Very windy when under way, so we only used the deck when in port. I believe the L107 deck is smaller, but the cabin could be bigger.

image.jpg.a99ebe98969e87381957d6b1bda28e04.jpg

Edited by candide333

We just returned from a TA sailing in M107 with its huge balcony. This is an L shaped minisuite with the balcony door off the living room and a large picture window in the bedroom facing forward. The small couch is not a sofa bed.

The pluses, very quiet location convenient to the Princess theater and spectacular views. There are 2 chaise loungrpes, a table and chairs, all padded teak furniture. I liked the large square sink in the batroom.

The negative, a lot of noise if the seas are rough and the stabilizers are working hard. A couple of nights the chaise lounges "danced" all over the deck and at times, crashed into the side of our cabin. Very windy when under way, so we only used the deck when in port. I believe the L107 deck is smaller, but the cabin could be bigger.

Nice! Do you have any pictures of the inside of the cabin you can share? We have booked L108 and although there may be differences, I am curious about the layout of the cabin.

Nice! Do you have any pictures of the inside of the cabin you can share? We have booked L108 and although there may be differences, I am curious about the layout of the cabin.

Sorry, I did not take pictures, but this link has a photo of the inside.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1874376&highlight=m107

Edited by candide333

Sorry, I did not take pictures, but this link has a photo of the inside.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1874376&highlight=m107

Thanks for that but the link inside that thread doesn't work any more. I had seen that one picture...I was just hoping for more. Well, it doesn't hurt to be surprised. I'm sure we'll love it.

Hi, we are doing a T/A in september on the royal…will you be doing a review of the trip?…how was the cruise itself?….thanks in advance.

Edited by tml1230

• 8 months later...

Had one of those forward facing balconies on another cruise line a few years ago. Initially we loved it, but sailing into the Bay of Biscay it went very quickly from good to bad lol! I spent one evening in bed...only time in all the cruises we have done that I have been seasick! I personally would not consider one for a Transatlantic or in a notoriously rough weather area. :eek: That said, on other sailings...certainly gives you a fantastic view! ;)

Edited by sammyboots

Thank you for the photo and review. Just looked at our upcoming cruise in the Med (Athens -> Rome) and L101 & L107 are available. Now to research how rough those sea's are in mid/late September. We did a similar cruise a few years ago and the waters got really rough from Croatia -> Venice.

Thank you for your post. we were just inquiring about cabin L103 and we were told that you can not access the balcony except in port. We enjoy using our balcony all the time so we did not book. This is our first time sailing on princess. Does anyone know anything about cabin E332 it says partial obstruction.

Thank you for your post. we were just inquiring about cabin L103 and we were told that you can not access the balcony except in port. We enjoy using our balcony all the time so we did not book. This is our first time sailing on princess. Does anyone know anything about cabin E332 it says partial obstruction.

There are multiple posts confirming you can open the door in these cabins while sailing, but u may not want to due to the wind. As for E332, see link below. It's dedicated to obstructed view cabins on Princess Ships with pictures submitted by past passengers.

https://sites.google.com/site/cabinviewbyrenmar/home

Berni

In November 2015 we sailed on the Royal bow cabin M106 on a Caribbean itinerary. We used the balcony every day and sat out there at night when we were at sea. Strong winds, but very comfortable sitting in the chairs back near the glass doors.

The cabin was just one big room with 2 TV’s, mini suite. Big ornate light fixture over the bed, tub with shower. We saw a corner mini suite on the bow and it had a separate bedroom--just like a suite--enormous balcony. At the time of booking, the Princess agent told me 3 times that the balcony was not usable when at sea--and even made me say I understood! We loved this cabin--you will, too!

I have L 105 booked for March 2016 Caribbean sailing for three of us::DH, DD and myself. I have read here that the sofa is not a pull out. Does this mean that the third person will have a drop down bed from the ceiling? Thank you for your response!

Usually it a berth in the ceiling....... but there is a slight chance could be a rollaway.

I have L 105 booked for March 2016 Caribbean sailing for three of us::DH, DD and myself. I have read here that the sofa is not a pull out. Does this mean that the third person will have a drop down bed from the ceiling? Thank you for your response!

We were in L 105 on the RP and the sofa made into a bed. My son (all 6'4" of him) was very, very comfortable and it did not interfere with access to the balcony, which was HUGE and accessible every single day of the cruise.

There was only 1 day where it was too windy to read my book comfortably, but even then, I braided my hair back and sat out there anyway. This was in March/April in the Caribbean. No seasickness either. Ship movement was negligible.

Enjoy your cruise, L 105 is a glorious cabin selection.

Kristine

Good information. I always thought that forward facing cabins would only be a problem during high wind days when the ship was a near full speed and directly into the wind. Other days would be just fine especially noting the balcony bulkhead is angled to deflect the wind up.

One of the best places on the either the Island or Coral Princess on a Panama Canal voyage are the decks that have access to the walkway off the cabin decks.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
We're in L101 for an upcoming Mediterranean cruise. Does anyone know if Princess lets you do ultimate balcony dining on these forward facing cabins? Maybe on a port day?

Anyone have experience with UBD in a Fwd Facing Room? We just booked L103 and want to know if the Ultimate Balcony Dinner is doable.

Anyone have experience with UBD in a Fwd Facing Room? We just booked L103 and want to know if the Ultimate Balcony Dinner is doable.

We have sailed in L104 twice and the bridge requests that you have the drapes closed when underway as the lights from the cabin distract them.As there is no working light on the balcony,you would be eating in the dark.

Excellent question. We have a late departure from St. Thomas next year and it would be perfect for a UBD.

You can do it if it's still light outside. There is no balcony light and your drapes must be closed at night. As another poster said, it'll be awfully dark out there otherwise. I would say do a balcony breakfast out there - as long as the wind isn't bad. There were times (in L108) I couldn't even open the balcony door due to the immense wind (crossing the Atlantic on a t/a). If it's calm in the morning, that breakfast would be nice.