Mozzies, an English point of view.

GINGERWILDCAT

Right, we are a first time cruising couple and have been reading about the possible repercussions regarding mozzie bites. In the UK we never get bitten by mozzies so we need info if at all possible.

We're having a week in Barbados then a week cruising the Southern Carribean, we are taking Jungle formula with I think 50% deet, in Barbados wearing this fluid are we likely to get bitten through the day as well as the evening/ night?

Do mozzies bite more at night rather than day?

Can we get bitten at sea? Day or night?

We Brits are so lucky to have ****e weather!:)

Any replies will be appreciated.;)

Dawn and dusk. That's when mosquitoes are at their worst. Your deet formula should be fine, I also spray some on my hands and rub through my hair if in a really active area.

My husband is a Brit, we live in Florida. He's from Blackpool, well, somebody has to be from Blackpool, right? Where are you?

Edited by Katoo

Dawn and dusk. That's when mosquitoes are at their worst. Your deet formula should be fine, I also spray some on my hands and rub through my hair if in a really active area.

My husband is a Brit, we live in Florida. He's from Blackpool, well, somebody has to be from Blackpool, right? Where are you?

Thanks, I'll take note of that, I've been reading so many horror stories, we're from Wakefield, twelve miles from Leeds.

Right, we are a first time cruising couple and have been reading about the possible repercussions regarding mozzie bites. In the UK we never get bitten by mozzies so we need info if at all possible.

We're having a week in Barbados then a week cruising the Southern Carribean, we are taking Jungle formula with I think 50% deet, in Barbados wearing this fluid are we likely to get bitten through the day as well as the evening/ night?

Do mozzies bite more at night rather than day?

Can we get bitten at sea? Day or night?

We Brits are so lucky to have ****e weather!:)

Any replies will be appreciated.;)

Wow, I never knew that Uk did not have them. In Germany they are quite intense, especially in the Summer. :eek:

Back home, I use a brand called "Autan" which works well as a repellant. I think it might be available in the UK, too. Here in the US, I purchase a brand called "Off".

A nice option is the pre-moistened towelettes. You just wipe them on and toss. No spray to leak into your luggage, etc. :D

Enjoy your travels.

Another Brit here, originally Manchester, now on the west coast of Canada. We have mosquitos here so I always have deet antihistamine pills and greams on hand. It will be my 3rd time going to the Caribbean in March (I reffer to it as my Blackpool holiday as it is so popular) and though I have been bitten a lot at home I have never been bitten in the Caribbean. That being said we are usualy in the heat near the sea. If we do an interior tour I do apply deet especially ziplining and pony riding as they are in damp jungle areas.

Go prepared and use deet when appropriate but not all the time as it is quite bad for you.

Have a great time.

Cheers, h.

Another Brit living in Arizona (from Widnes about 25 miles outside of Liverpool) - there is also StingEze so if you get bit it will take the sting and itch out of the bite. Can be found in Walgreens/Walmart and many other stores that have a camping section. Very good. If there is a mosquito out there it will find me but I have never been bitten in the Caribbean. Enjoy your cruise. :D

Nowt wrong with being from Blackpool.

But congratulations to your husband for getting out. :D