SUPERBOWL to be postponed ... maybe

sebas030

Football is a cold weather sport. I suggest anyone who doesn't realize that should educate themselves about the famous "Ice Bowl" game between Dallas and Green Bay played years ago. Even more recently the Giants played the Packers in extremely frigid conditions on their way to the Super Bowl.

The Super Bowl is a huge production with dozens of other events surrounding it during the week leading up to the game. The game itself can easily be played in the snow and cold, it's mostly the show surrounding it that suffers in bad weather.

While Football is played in all weather types

BUT when it comes to superbowls they have all been played in warm weather areas or indoors

I think the first 6 out of 7 were in southern CA/FL

As a lifelong 49er fan I have seen lots of Superbowls on TV

but as a long time season ticket holder I have only been to one.(good thing we didn't go last year:eek:)

I think it is 20,000 season tik holders per team that gets an option to buy.'

The rest are going to mostly Corporate contracts besides a certain amount to the home stadium to sell

Not sure if most Corporate VPs or Celebrities will sit in the snow to root on a team they really don't care about

Edited by jonbgd

Live three and a half miles from the stadium heard for the first time from my wife they were changing the game...listening to 101.5 Jerseys radio and looking at NJ.com and abcnews.com

Only NJ.com says they're watching a system 9 days out. Nobody else is saying anything more than a 30% chance of snow. Now they couldn't see the weather as it was happening in the summer but for this winter they have been almost dead on. Either way sun or snow it's the super bowl it'll be fun to watch. As far as the getaway is concerned I would like to see it pull into Florida with snow on it's decks. Lol.

Sent from my XT907 using Forums mobile app

Edited by pscozz702

They could not put a dome,even a retractable one,because of a nearby corporate airport. But many conference championships have been played in worse weather in January in Green Bay,Cincinnati,new England,new jersey,buffalo among others.and the games sellout and never heard huge complaints.

Oh and Seahawks will hoist the trophy. Lol

Football is a cold weather sport. I suggest anyone who doesn't realize that should educate themselves about the famous "Ice Bowl" game between Dallas and Green Bay played years ago. Even more recently the Giants played the Packers in extremely frigid conditions on their way to the Super Bowl.

The Super Bowl is a huge production with dozens of other events surrounding it during the week leading up to the game. The game itself can easily be played in the snow and cold, it's mostly the show surrounding it that suffers in bad weather.

The difference with this game (super bowl) is...no tailgating, and you have to be in your seat like 2 hours before the game starts with little to do but freeze. Who would pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars to do that?

You never see a empty seat at the game on TV but you might this year.

The difference with this game (super bowl) is...no tailgating, and you have to be in your seat like 2 hours before the game starts with little to do but freeze. Who would pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars to do that?

You never see a empty seat at the game on TV but you might this year.

Nevertheless, the seats have been paid for so they don't care.

Playing the game in the New Jersey venue is an obvious example of .....

well, any way...it's a dumb move.

I will go out on a limb and say that there is no way that the Superbowl will be moved to another day :D

I know the NFL likes to spread the financial wealth generated from a Superbowl, but they really need to rethink the options of putting the Superbowl in a northern climate during the first week of February.

I also know football is played in all kinds of weather, which is fine for the players (who get paid quite handsomely to do so) but it is terrible for the fans. Bone chilling, mind numbing temperatures do not a fun afternoon make :D

With all that said, I'll watch Denver kick some major a** next week - on Sunday!!:)

Don't forget the "Dallas ice storm superbowl". Unless you have it in Hawaii every year, no guarantees. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Live three and a half miles from the stadium heard for the first time from my wife they were changing the game...listening to 101.5 Jerseys radio and looking at NJ.com and abcnews.com

Only NJ.com says they're watching a system 9 days out. Nobody else is saying anything more than a 30% chance of snow. Now they couldn't see the weather as it was happening in the summer but for this winter they have been almost dead on. Either way sun or snow it's the super bowl it'll be fun to watch. As far as the getaway is concerned I would like to see it pull into Florida with snow on it's decks. Lol.

Your wife heard wrong. Nobody said at all they are moving the game, or that there is even a chance of it. There have been countless news reports simply showing what would happen IF, because hosting cities need to be prepared. That's it. There is a slim to none chance that it would actually move for anything other than the storm of the century.

Don't forget the "Dallas ice storm superbowl". Unless you have it in Hawaii every year, no guarantees. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Didnt Jerry put a dome on his stadium?

It has snowed before superbowls in Detroit but that is a domed stadium as well

It isn't the outside weather that is the problem,than again Houston shut down for the second time in 3 years:eek:

Wonder what will happen in another 3 years when Houston hosts the Superbowl

I can gty there will be no snow when we have the Superbowl in SF 2016

Your wife heard wrong. Nobody said at all they are moving the game, or that there is even a chance of it. There have been countless news reports simply showing what would happen IF, because hosting cities need to be prepared. That's it. There is a slim to none chance that it would actually move for anything other than the storm of the century.

Just spoke to a member of my fire company who works for the njsea if it snows a foot our more then they'll move the day and if workers don't show for the game they will not work next season...saw the email... so yes the game will not move...don't know where she heard what she heard...but argued what you said yesterday...getting snow as I type now but not gonna get much. I think people around here are making up stories with the storm that hit is Tuesday,all the roadwork not being finished and the hours of traffic we endured stories and rumors will arise

Sent from my XT907 using Forums mobile app

It doesn't bother you that your second sentence and last sentence contradict one another? :confused:

I am sure you are correct that there is at best a very slim chance of the game being moved, and probably only for a 100 year storm, but there IS obviously a chance of it, slim that this may be, which perhaps is what pscozz's wife heard.

Edited by billie5

The game will go on as planned. However, I think the NFL brass are idiots for subjecting the most important game of the year to winter conditions in Jersey.

Today it's 65 and sunny in San Diego. We'd gladly take the Super Bowl. :)

I agree, or at least go where there is a domed arena. Not a bright idea....

They could not put a dome,even a retractable one,because of a nearby corporate airport. But many conference championships have been played in worse weather in January in Green Bay,Cincinnati,new England,new jersey,buffalo among others.and the games sellout and never heard huge complaints.

Oh and Seahawks will hoist the trophy. Lol

Why would the airports? Have anything. To do with a dome?

Why would the airports? Have anything. To do with a dome?

It doesn't. The Giants and the Jets both paid to renovate the stadium. Actually, there was nothing at all wrong with the old stadium, but they had the money and paid for a new one (1.71 billion dollars). They did not, however, want to pay for a dome / retractable roof, which would have added an additional 500 million to the price tag. That is the only reason there isn't one. It's chump change to them, and quite idiotic that they didn't follow through.

Edited by SissasMomE

You're absolutely right! My dad has had Packers' season tickets for 50 years and he and three other guys were at the Ice Bowl (my mom and another wife were going to go, but, being sane, they cancelled when they saw it was minus 13F with a wind chill of almost minus 50F; my dad had NO TROUBLE finding two other insane guys to go :)). Frank Gifford had the best commentator line: "I think I'll take another bite of my coffee".

My brother, SIL, and I were at the Packers/Giants game in January 2008 when it was about minus 10F at kickoff. I had on so many layers, with handwarmers tucked in almost every possible place including my underwear, that I could hardly move. But we had a ball even though the Packers lost. I asked my dad if he wanted to go to Ice Bowl II, but 40 years on, he said, "No, and I think you're all nuts!"

Three weeks ago I was at the Lambeau game where the Packers lost a close one to the Niners. It was a balmy 10F at kickoff, and about 0F at the end. Really not bad at all; the next day, though, was 25 degrees colder with a howling wind. THAT would not have been fun.

The New Orleans SuperDome is less then 10 miles from the airport, so why is that different from NJ

Teterboro airport is less than 2 miles away and the airlines coming into Newark, about 5 miles away, follow the NJ Turnpike down to the runways. Also understand that LaGuardia and JFK Airports share the same air space here. At any given time you can look up and see at least 5 planes flying over head every other minute. There are several beacons in a small area around the Meadowlands for the airports. The end of one of the Newark runways is the Turnpike itself. Which leads me to ask with all the security that is going on here will they reroute the Newark air traffic during the game? Helicopters have been doing touch and go landings all week at the stadium, a little more than normal. Locally its just another game in the Meadowlands, unless other towns in the area are different than mine.

It will require extraordinary events to get the game re-scheduled.

They knew the situation before they gave the New Jersey teams the nod to hold the game in their stadium. Northern New Jersey in the winter gets-----winter weather.

It is kind of a kick in the pants though. Make it to the Super Bowl and where do you go? --- New Jersey. Woooo....stinkin' Hooooooo! We're goin' to Jersey!!!!!!!! In the winter!!!!!!

OK, those words have never actually been spoken by a sane person.

Really??? :D Not feeling the Jersey love?? As a native Jersey girl, I have to come to the defense of the old Garden State (yes, I know I live in Fla now, but I came kicking & screaming when my job moved).

One fact about folks from Jersey, we LOVE football...in ANY weather! I have attended many games in the old Giant Stadium, braving high heat in pre season or early Sept., and snow storms in December. But I was there, along with thousands others!!

So never fear...if the travelers can't make it due to weather, there'll be plenty of locals tailgating in close enough proximity to fill those seats, with their scarves, gloves and long johns on :D:D

Go Denver ;)