Norovirus Outbreak Hits Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship

island284

Have you ever tried driving in that part if jersey during rush hour? I am not old but I would do my best to a avoid it.

As you can see in my posts (upper right corner), I live in an adjoining state, so yes, I have.

Crusin6, you have roused my curiosity with your posts referring to a "sign and sail pass". Have you ever been on a Royal Caribbean cruise?

:)

My initial opinion was based solely on the fact that the cruise was in essence cancelled and the initial compensation benefited the cruise line more than the pax. It is hard to argue that this cruise wasn't cancelled. and yes their initial offer deserved criticism

I still think 75% refund is more appropriate and i suppose the pax should just pay the sign and sail. Tips are another issue but based on experience cruise lines have been known to offer consideration in that aspect as well

This is not about defending or criticizing rccl although I know that is how it may appear. But essentially this cruise was cancelled midway and ordered by the CDC to go home.

Seriously what exactly should the pax have to absorb? The ship is crippled plain and simple. This is just an unfortunate situation that crippled the ship

The ship needs to insure themselves against this sort if thing and I am sure they do be it self Insurance or outside insurance

Again it is tough to argue against the simple fact that the ship is crippled and this cruise has been cancelled

I agree.

I know it probably won't happen but I would like to see these passengers receive a full refund.

Also, I wonder if any of the passenger's who purchased travel insurance will be able to submit a claim.

I agree.

I know it probably won't happen but I would like to see these passengers receive a full refund.

Also, I wonder if any of the passenger's who purchased travel insurance will be able to submit a claim.

Travel insurance will only cover what nothing else covers. In other words, if the cruise line refunds the fare, you cannot "double" recover that.

Travel insurance will only cover what nothing else covers. In other words, if the cruise line refunds the fare, you cannot "double" recover that.

Correct....but I wonder if RCCL only refunds 50% could a claim for the remaining costs be submitted to the insurance company?

It may be worth looking into for those that purchased it...also added travel expenses, hotel room costs, airport fees for changing flights etc.

As you can see in my posts (upper right corner), I live in an adjoining state, so yes, I have.

Crusin6, you have roused my curiosity with your posts referring to a "sign and sail pass". Have you ever been on a Royal Caribbean cruise?

Sea pass Sign and sail. Same thing. The onboard account ok? Rccl. Ccl princess. Ncl. Dcl to answer your question. Oh and back in the day costa and Chandris

Rcl is not our first choice though primarily due to price

Edited by Crusin6

Correct....but I wonder if RCCL only refunds 50% could a claim for the remaining costs be submitted to the insurance company?

It may be worth looking into for those that purchased it...also added travel expenses, hotel room costs, airport fees for changing flights etc.

Hotel and food for the 2 days for sure

Well I can't say I've read all these posts but I just heard 20% on the cruise have been affected.

I got Norovirus in November on an Oceania ship, though there was no outbreak. There were 3 of us sharing a room and I was the only one who got sick. It was the 1st or 2nd day of the cruise so I could have picked it up before, in Barcelona. Most likely.

Though that ship (line?) didn't serve us at the buffet the 1st 48 hours the way I've seen some others do. Or maybe they only do it only if a passenger coming onboard reports being sick? I never went to see the doctor.

Sea pass Sign and sail. Same thing. The onboard account ok? Rccl. Ccl princess. Ncl. Dcl to answer your question. Oh and back in the day costa and Chandris

haha I call it a "sign and sail" too....heck I even remember our first few cruises when the shops on board actually accepted cash! gasp! lol

I agree.

The travel interruption part of the insurance should kick in I would think.

My initial opinion was based solely on the fact that the cruise was in essence cancelled and the initial compensation benefited the cruise line more than the pax. It is hard to argue that this cruise wasn't cancelled. and yes their initial offer deserved criticism

I still think 75% refund is more appropriate and i suppose the pax should just pay the sign and sail. Tips are another issue but based on experience cruise lines have been known to offer consideration in that aspect as well

This is not about defending or criticizing rccl although I know that is how it may appear. But essentially this cruise was cancelled midway and ordered by the CDC to go home.

Seriously what exactly should the pax have to absorb? The ship is crippled plain and simple. This is just an unfortunate situation that crippled the ship

The ship needs to insure themselves against this sort if thing and I am sure they do be it self Insurance or outside insurance

Again it is tough to argue against the simple fact that the ship is crippled and this cruise has been cancelled

The ship is crippled???

Seems like every ship I sail on turns doomed in the future...

Celebrity Horizon (Now renamed and sailing in a 3rd world country)

Carnival Triumph

Explorer Of The Seas

BEWARE of NCL Breakaway, I was just on that one!

Wonder if the news will be waiting in Bayonne, NJ to catch the ship sailing in and docking so they can get reactions from people onboard...The news eats that stuff up!

Please stay away from Holland America ..

The ship is crippled???

What else would you call it? Sick? What? Troubled?

The ship has been ordered home by the CDC. And no it is not mechanically crippled but everyone knows that

The cruise is not and essentially did not happen

Unfortunate but true

I don't understand this. So simple the pax deserve the best compensation they can get. Btw no bleeding heart over here. Just someone seeing this for what it is A cancelled cruise.

Ya, the ship will be cleaned, but what about the mattresses? All those people with V & D. I am sure some of it got on the mattresses. I hope they sanitize them. What a mess. It could happen on any ship or hotel. In the meantime; constant handwashing!!!!

You know I really hope they are offering the option to cancel to the January 31 st pax as well. Those pax could be walking into a real cesspool. On the bright side there must be 3 dozen sleepy mattress stores in a 30 mile radius of the port. Just a little levity but the mattresses really need to go and if they don't already they need to start using plastic mattress covers. Might not be so comfortable but in this day and age of bedbugs etc a real necessity.

Colleges are on to this cure.

Edited by Crusin6

I'm new but not really it's been about 10 or so years since I have last logged on my daughter would make fun of me for writing and reading at all hours but now she is hooked and has sucked me back in! If I may I don't understand why Rccl allows guests to serve themselves in the windjammer? I remember the days of the midnight buffets when you couldn't touch you were served. I understand the cut the cost factor man power hours but isn't this costing more? As wonderful as the larger ships are... Are they getting to big? For myself part of cruising is the service, the being waited on served if you will. From way back I never heard of or thought of getting sick on a ship or hotel for that matter. I still to this day bring alcohol wipes and Lysol with me where ever I travel. Also common sense I wash my hands and often. Think about the fact that the ships stop in many ports and lets face it in the islands who knows what we are really exposed to. For one, one of my favorite places was always labadee. I rem when there was a straw hut style restroom with paper signs don't drink the water don't rinse your mouth. It really is amazing there isn't more sickness on board the ships. I you can grab a bite out to eat at home and be just as ill. I travel now with probiotics, potassium and a variety of diff vitamins. It may not help but I guess it can't hurt. It's Monday for anyone that remembers it's Blue Monday time enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What else would you call it? Sick? What? Troubled?

The ship has been ordered home by the CDC. And no it is not mechanically crippled but everyone knows that

The cruise is not and essentially did not happen

Unfortunate but true

I don't understand this. So simple the pax deserve the best compensation they can get. Btw no bleeding heart over here. Just someone seeing this for what it is A cancelled cruise.

Pretty silly to think that everyone understands you ! Right now she is not crippled, she is however carrying home many unfortunate, sick and disappointed passengers. Please don't make this terrible situation worse than it is by making the ship sound like she's limping along.

Where did you read that the ship has been ordered home by the CDC? I am not saying it didn't happen, just that I didn't read t.. I have not seen if this was RCCL's choice or the choice of the CDC?

The travel interruption part of the insurance should kick in I would think.

Perhaps if the insured incurs costs otherwise not covered by RCCL. The RCCL refund assuming a refund ends up the compensation would pay back the missed two nights. If the person then has to pay own hotel two nights before flight or pay a fee to change flights that is where, depending on terms of policy, a valid claim may be paid by the insurer. If RCCL pays air changes and folks get to fly home Wednesday night really no claims to file.

Whole situation stinks. Nobody wants to miss vacation for any reason but definitely to be sick.

Pretty silly to think that everyone understands you ! Right now she is not crippled, she is however carrying home many unfortunate, sick and disappointed passengers. Please don't make this terrible situation worse than it is by making the ship sound like she's limping along.

Where did you read that the ship has been ordered home by the CDC? I am not saying it didn't happen, just that I didn't read t.. I have not seen if this was RCCL's choice or the choice of the CDC?

The CDC boarded the ship and are sailing back with them. Rerelease the posts on this thread. And really this cruise essentially didn't happen and that was due to the outbreak. Throw down the Pom poms and think realistically. Call it what you want but the ship turned around and is coming home and aborted the cruise. Is that better?

And yes everyone who is following this thread knows the ship is not mechanically crippled but I do apologize to those few who do not Understand this however small those posters may be in number.

Edited by Crusin6

The CDC boarded the ship and are sailing back with them. Rerelease the posts on this thread. And really this cruise essentially didn't happen and that was due to the outbreak. Throw down the Pom poms and think realistically. Call it what you want but the ship turned around and is coming home and aborted the cruise. Is that better?

And yes everyone who is following this thread knows the ship is not mechanically crippled but I do apologize to those few who do not Understand this however small those posters may be in number.

It is all over the local news here in the Northeast...she is on her way back to NJ...and yes, it is basically crippling along as it will most likely come in in the wee hours to avoid some of the press. (that is what was stated / not my statement...just to be clear) Also reported...RCCL announced the return 2 hours after CDC board the ship...it is now up to 650 sick

Edited by 20pluscruises

It is all over the local news here in the Northeast...she is on her way back to NJ...and yes, it is basically crippling along as it will most likely come in in the wee hours to avoid some of the press. (that is what was stated / not my statement...just to be clear)

It made the news in Australia today.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app