Canadians flying through US...customs?

Lambo62

Presumably you travel on a Canadian Passport, so for cruise ship disembarkation purposes it doesn't matter what airport you're using, all that matters is you're a citizen of another country entering the US on the cruise ship. In other words, upon disembarkation, yes you are treated as the non-US citizen that you are.

Edited by njhorseman

Presumably you travel on a Canadian Passport, so for cruise ship disembarkation purposes it doesn't matter what airport you're using, all that matters is you're a citizen of another country entering the US on the cruise ship. In other words, upon disembarkation, yes you are treated as the non-US citizen that you are.

This information is correct. I'm American,my husband is Canadian, kids have citizenship in both countries. We always went through non-U.S. line, but found out last cruise we could do either since we are mixed nationalities.

I remember our first cruise, back in the day when you saw customs agents directly on the ship, non U.S. citizens had to be there at 6 a.m.! Kids only had Canadian passports so they had to go too. I was snuggled up in bed while everyone else went down to get cleared.

Question, Since we will be flying in and out of Buffalo for our cruise from Tampa, will we still have to do the "international" customs during disembarkment?

Let me walk you through the logic here.

When you get off the ship, you will be entering the U.S. You will do U.S. Customs and more importantly, U.S. Immigration. Since you are not entering Canada, you will not do Canada Customs or Immigration.

At that point you can go the airport. You can go to Miami. You can go to Italy. You can go anywhere you want. You are now in the U.S. How do they know or have any control on where you are going?

When you board a flight somewhere in the U.S. that is bound for Canada, you will then be crossing into Canada.

I cruised on the Dawn last year out of Tampa B2B2B. On each arrival in Tampa we had to go to Non-US immigration on the ship, present our passports etc. If you do not go they will call your names overhead and hold all disembarkation until you do show up. (there is always someone who thinks that the rules are for everyone else):rolleyes:

We have traveled out of buffalo a number of times, the air flight is domestic from buffalo to tampa (you probably crossed customs, I assume in your vehicle to get to buffalo-that is where you would claim anything) As far as disembarkment off the ship, if you have cruised out of US waters then you are re-entering US and would go through customs like everyone. flight back to buffalo is domestic and you would would not claim anything until you crossed the border into canada. I hope this makes sense.

Question, Since we will be flying in and out of Buffalo for our cruise from Tampa, will we still have to do the "international" customs during disembarkment?

The correct term is "non-U.S. citizen". Therefore, regardless to where you are actually flying into or out of, you are still not a U.S. citizen.

Edited by che5904