Canada & NE Discorvery HAL

butterfly1947

We are taking this cruise May 31st to June 7th. My question is we are flying into Boston and staying two nights.

Question 1. Airport to hotel and then hotel to cruise port. How hard is this? We are staying at one of those $400.00 a night hotels that HAL wants to put you at but we will be staying close to downtown Boston.

Question 2. After the cruise in Quebec City we want to take a train to Montreal and stay a few days there and then fly home.

How hard is this going to be? Can we get transportation from HAL to the train stations?

Thanks for any help.

:)

I can't help you with Boston, but the train station in Quebec City is really very close to where the ship docks. I do believe you could walk it but check the schedules to see when trains leave for MOntreal. Timing could be off. That was our plan, to walk to the station and take a train to MOntreal but because we needed to continue on from there, we had only one time to choose from and it didn't work with when the ship cleared. That might be your biggest hurdle.

We were on Veendam Boston - Quebec city in 2013, did all my research on CC:

1. Airport to Downtown is about 15 -20 minutes (none rush hour), and downtown to port 10-15 minutes. Cabs, or Boston's excellent public transportation will be at your disposal.

Post your specifics at CC's East Coast departure forum. The experts there will help you. My favorite poster is 138East - tell her where + when + how many people, she literally will tell which hotel, how much and why.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

2. Did not take the train b/w Quebec city to Montreal, but it is very popular and heard quite convenient from Port (there will be taxi). Again below is the Canada forum link, this question comes up frequently.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39

We did this cruise last summer on the Veendam and stayed at the Westin Boston Waterfront, a stone's throw from the pier and we were able to see the Veendam sail in in the morning too, which was a nice bonus. (We have been to Boston many times before so it was not a priority for us to be in the heart of downtown.) The hotel was brand new, gorgeous, and had incredibly spacious rooms. We got this hotel for $70/night on Priceline - shop around, there are deals to be had!

The Via rail station in Quebec City is certainly walkable from the cruise port, provided you have a reasonable amount of luggage. It's a lovely little station, too, like a miniature Chateau Frontenac. I just checked the viarail.ca website; there are multiple daily trains between Quebec City and Montreal: 4-5 trains during the week, and 3 trains on the weekends.

Regarding Boston hotels, most anyplace in Boston is accessible to the cruiseport via taxi or public transport. Priceline can be your very good friend. Do some research before bidding on any of the more common bidding sites (biddingfortravel; betterbidding; etc.)

Edited by buckirj1