Travel Insurance

WayneFougere

We always travel with it. Both of us have managed hospitalization various times over the past few years - I had bladder cancer and she had an aneurism - so we always make sure we're covered "just in case". It's especially important as you get older. Sh-t happens at the most I opportune times!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would never travel without it!

On my last trip - two days before I was to leave there was a death in the family - my insurance reimbursed me for the cost of the change fees for my flights and the cost of my new tickets because now I was flying out of a different city.

The small (in the long run) cost of insurance is well worth it every time!

• 1 month later...

Read the Costco/Travel Guard policy carefully, in many states (NY for example) the policy only covers medical expenses for a sickness not an injury. Interestingly, the only time I ever had a claim was when I broke my wrist on a European vacation. It was purchased from Travel Guard (excellent service) but NOT through Costco.

Read the Costco/Travel Guard policy carefully, in many states (NY for example) the policy only covers medical expenses for a sickness not an injury. Interestingly, the only time I ever had a claim was when I broke my wrist on a European vacation. It was purchased from Travel Guard (excellent service) but NOT through Costco.

Also, a Travel Guard representative told me that when purchasing the insurance through Costco there is a fifty percent reduction in the medical coverage if the insured has had any recent changes to his/her preexisting conditions, such as a change in medications etc.

I thought for sure I'd go with Costco, but I found better insurance with AIG from insuremytrip.com for about half what Costco was going to charge me. None of us have any existing conditions, though, so that part didn't matter much to me. What mattered most to me was being able to cancel for work requirements. You just never know.

I thought for sure I'd go with Costco, but I found better insurance with AIG from insuremytrip.com for about half what Costco was going to charge me. None of us have any existing conditions, though, so that part didn't matter much to me. What mattered most to me was being able to cancel for work requirements. You just never know.

That's just it - you never know. You all might be in good health... you have the time off approved, everything is great - but

- some strange weather event will prevent you from getting there

- your house suffers something like a pipe burst and flooding 2 days before you go away

- a friend or family member gets critically ill or dies

- or you simply slip, fall and break a bone right before you leave.

- etc

You Never Know

You also should check if the "non-coverage for pre-existing conditions" applies to non-traveling family members, if that is important to you. Some insurances are specific about that, also.

That's just it - you never know. You all might be in good health... you have the time off approved, everything is great - but

- some strange weather event will prevent you from getting there

- your house suffers something like a pipe burst and flooding 2 days before you go away

- a friend or family member gets critically ill or dies

- or you simply slip, fall and break a bone right before you leave.

- etc

You Never Know

All of that is covered in the one we bought.

You also should check if the "non-coverage for pre-existing conditions" applies to non-traveling family members, if that is important to you. Some insurances are specific about that, also.

None of my immediate family members have heath conditions. Heaven forbid they develop anything, we can cancel. :)

My wife and I are on the Veendam departing Ft. Lauderdale May 1st and arriving Quebec City May 10th. Also staying 3 days in Quebec City and flying back to Orlando on May 13th. As such, I took the advice of the people on this forum and inquired about travel insurance. Researched all companies, what they provided, and the pricing. CSA, for us, had the most comprehensive coverage and at the best price. Full Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption, Travel Delay, Baggage and Personal Effects, Baggage Delay, $50,000 Medical and Dental, $250,000 Evacuation, $50,000 Accidental Flight Death, Missed Cruise Connection. 180 day look back for pre-existing condition. The price $152. I am 73 and my wife is 65. Bought it yesterday. Gives us peace of mind even though we are both on Medicare Advantage Plans that do provide up to $10,000 emergency medical care anywhere in the world.