Best Western French Quarter Landmark Hotel

tweety33

I would like to hear all I can from anyone who stayed here in New Orleans on Rampart Street. Thanks

Was it a safe walking area, is the park nice across the street, How far is the walk in minutes to the french market, cafe mondue, canal street. Bourbon st. is 3 blocks but how long is the walk are they huge blocks?

Did you do the street cars, trolly to get around, was there a stop near the hotel? How was breakfast? Did you like the hotel itself? What did you pay for cab to the cruise ship?

Any thing you wanna share I wanna hear it all. Love to be prepared & well informed:)

Here's a few thoughts, based on knowledge of the area, and not having stayed at that hotel.

I am sure the hotel is safe, but the neighborhood on the inland side of Rampart is not the nicest of neighborhoods. That area of the Quarter used to be where muggings would happen on a regular basis. That being said, the hotel would not have been in business so long if it were a regular occurrence.

It is around 7 blocks to Cafe DuMonde, and while Bourbon is 3 blocks away the part of Bourbon that it would put you in is the less-lively area. Bourbon street turns into a pretty tame neighborhood downriver from St. Ann street.

Street cars are about 7 blocks away on Canal, so you won't be using them for travel every day. That is pretty normal, as the primary transportation method in the Quarter is on foot. The blocks are small compared to larger cities.

Cab fare to the dock should be less than $10pp one way, most of the time it is $7pp from any place in the Garden District, CBD or French Quarter, but that may not be the case that far from the dock.

My recommendation would be to spend a few dollars more and stay at one of the more mainstream hotels closer to Canal or CBD. The walk to Bourbon street will be the same, but the area will be safer and there will be food in a distance that won't be so discouraging come breakfast time.