FTTF with kids in their own cabin

DKF97

I know this has been answered, but I can't find it. I thought I knew the answer, now I'm not sure. We were on the Sunshine last month and our cabins were booked with one parent and one child in each room. We bought FTTF for each cabin so that we could all board at the same time.

Today I booked the Dream and finally got someone on the phone who booked the kids in their own room and my hubby and I in ours, so no hassle switching rooms onboard. There were 3 FTTF tickets left and I grabbed them up for all of our rooms (my dads also). Here's my question, did I really need one for the kids' cabin? My hubby and I will have it on our cards, so I would assume the kids could get onboard with us. The only problem I see, would be having to get in a separate line at check-in. It's not a huge deal but $50 is $50.

I know this has been answered, but I can't find it. I thought I knew the answer, now I'm not sure. We were on the Sunshine last month and our cabins were booked with one parent and one child in each room. We bought FTTF for each cabin so that we could all board at the same time.

Today I booked the Dream and finally got someone on the phone who booked the kids in their own room and my hubby and I in ours, so no hassle switching rooms onboard. There were 3 FTTF tickets left and I grabbed them up for all of our rooms (my dads also). Here's my question, did I really need one for the kids' cabin? My hubby and I will have it on our cards, so I would assume the kids could get onboard with us. The only problem I see, would be having to get in a separate line at check-in. It's not a huge deal but $50 is $50.

They say that people that are on the same sign & sail card can check in together but it hasn't been confirmed by anyone that I can find so when I sailed on the Valor a few weeks back I ended up buying FTTF for both my rooms. To me, the $50 is worth it just to make sure we could all check in together. I didn't want to get to the port and find out that I had to sit with the rest of my family to get on the ship with a later zone after paying $50 to get on first.

I would just leave it the way it is. People have reported that they don't allow you to check in together like that anymore. Then you have the tendering issue. They check for the sticker on the back of your card. Same with Guest Services and early debarkation. IMHO it's not worth the extra stress for $50. Plus their room will be ready when you get on too. Then they can get all their stuff unpacked and vacation can begin :)

I would just leave it the way it is. People have reported that they don't allow you to check in together like that anymore. Then you have the tendering issue. They check for the sticker on the back of your card. Same with Guest Services and early debarkation. IMHO it's not worth the extra stress for $50. Plus their room will be ready when you get on too. Then they can get all their stuff unpacked and vacation can begin :)

This was why we got it for our kids' cabin on the next cruise. We have at least two tender ports (Cozumel is listed as possibly tender). The kids could have boarded with us, and we could have sent all the luggage to our cabin, but we weren't sure about tendering and knew they wouldn't be able to use the priority line at guest services.

Our favorite part is going straight to the room and having it ready. Now we are sure both will be ready.

Personally for just $50 I would leave it they way it is. I would hate to remove it based upon information from there and then have problems at the pier. That way your kids room should be ready when you board as well and their boarding pass and cards will have FTTF on them.

How old are your kids?

If they are minors, then they embark with you. They do not need FTTF.

I have a question. Our kids will be in their own room as well, directly across the hall, (Ages almost 10 and 14) . I thought each room would have to have an adult, so I listed it this way on the cards. Will I be able to get cards for my husband and myself that open both doors? I know at some point they will forget their key, on a sea day, and I will be running around to get in. Also, Could we list them alone in their room, and myself and my husband in the other?

TIA!

Shan

I have a question. Our kids will be in their own room as well, directly across the hall, (Ages almost 10 and 14) . I thought each room would have to have an adult, so I listed it this way on the cards. Will I be able to get cards for my husband and myself that open both doors? I know at some point they will forget their key, on a sea day, and I will be running around to get in. Also, Could we list them alone in their room, and myself and my husband in the other?

TIA!

Shan

We just did that January 5. Got FTTF for both rooms (so no wait at GS), had them print extra key that opened the other room. Left one adult in each room just because it was easier than trying to change everything around. You would end up going to GS anyway because I'm sure you would want to have a key to their room and vice versa.

And if one of you wants to buy the Cheers program, the other adult doesn't have to that way. We didn't as we are not drinkers at all.

Being our reservations were linked, the room steward knew exactly what we were doing and had our rooms configured correctly - King in the OV, 2 Twins in the inside.

Short version - leave rooms the way they are and go to GS to get additional keys made for the rooms :)

Edited by firemanbobswife

We did this on last cruise and switched once we got on board. We also got an extra key to the kids' room. The only problem we had was it took about 4 trips to guest services to get my husband's card key to work in the door. They finally fixed it but it was a real hassle, so we were very glad to get a hold of someone to book the kids in their own room initially. We will go to guest services and get a key for the kids' room. It came in very handy especially because I could kick my husband out to their bathroom, lol.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

They say that people that are on the same sign & sail card can check in together but it hasn't been confirmed by anyone that I can find so when I sailed on the Valor a few weeks back I ended up buying FTTF for both my rooms. To me, the $50 is worth it just to make sure we could all check in together. I didn't want to get to the port and find out that I had to sit with the rest of my family to get on the ship with a later zone after paying $50 to get on first.

I think that if you are Platinum, and you have two cabins, and it is all paid for by You, and they are on your SS with charging privileges...they can board with you. But nothing else. they do not get luggage early. Do not go to rooms early. No tender. No phone. No getting off together. Just can board with you.

that is what I was told. And On HAL and PRINCESs if you have family going with you in another cabin. You pay. And they are on your SS with charging privileges...Then....they get the full VIP menu. Or Diamond. same as you.

TIA!

Shan

As long as the kids are directly across the hall or right next door, they can be booked in their cabin alone. We did that from the time our boys were 14 and 11, up until they were 24 and 21. :D

We are sailing in March with our 3 kids in the cabin next door. I just called Carnival to ask about FTTF. They told me we would have to buy one for each cabin. Darn.....we would only use it for getting on the ship quicker, but I don't think it's worth $100.

We didn't bother getting it on the Elation because we would have had to purchase for 2 cabins, and ended up getting Zone 2 and boarded by 11:30 anyway. Rooms were ready after we had lunch and bags were there soon after.

What will make me get it next time is to avoid the looooooonnnnnnnnnnng lines at guest services and debarking.

Sent from my Commadore 64 using the Cruise Critic forum app