Heads up on Ryan Air

Just booked Flights from Manchester to Dublin to go see some family who moved over there .

Got the flights at £9.99 each way and was expecting a service charge of some sort for using my debit card ...but nothing :)

I then looked at the priority boarding ...its now gone , just book a seat if you wish from £5 so no more mad dash for a seat .:)

(Not that I need it but the hold Baggage was I think £15 for 15kg and £25 for 20kg)

So thats a first for me with Ryan Air ..Not charged anything extra :)

So anyone doing a cruise only from Palma ..I would keep this as one of your options ,should you be willing to fly with them .

So anyone doing a cruise only from Palma ..I would keep this as one of your options ,should you be willing to fly with them .

We used them from Malaga to Palma last year - actually had excellent service for less than half the price of the other carrier doing the same route (Air Berlin).

As long as you obey their many little rules they are seriously worth considering.

I understaand that the Office of Fair Trading clamped down on Ryanair's unavoidable booking fees procedures - so they've had to remove them for debit card payments.

I bet that ruling caused O'Leary much wailing and nashing of teeth !!!

They are also introducing allocated seats without paying extra for them, not sure what persuaded them to do so though.

We are booked out of Edinburgh at the end of this month with no seat allocated, however the return flight in early February has seat numbers quoted - so I'm assuming 1st Feb.is the date this new procedure becomes active.

In 2008 My Wife , her Aunt and I were booked to fly to Venice for a cruise with MSC.

Sadly, 17 days before we were due to fly out, Aunt died suddenly.

I immediately contacted MSC, the hotel we were due to stay overnight pre cruise and Ryanair.

Eventually I lost £400 between the hotel, MSC and the insurance company and only after a long battle at a time when we just wanted to grieve a much loved Aunt.

Ryanair sent out a form after one phone call and almost by return of post, they refunded all our money including the credit card charges and sent a letter of condolence.

Personally I can only tell it as I personally found it

I understaand that the Office of Fair Trading clamped down on Ryanair's unavoidable booking fees procedures - so they've had to remove them for debit card payments.

I bet that ruling caused O'Leary much wailing and nashing of teeth !!!

They are also introducing allocated seats without paying extra for them, not sure what persuaded them to do so though.

We are booked out of Edinburgh at the end of this month with no seat allocated, however the return flight in early February has seat numbers quoted - so I'm assuming 1st Feb.is the date this new procedure becomes active.

We fly with them end of Feb and they are charging for seats (£5 norm -and £10 extra leg)

Maybe the plane has filled up and they have given you a seat due to that ??

In RA's terms ...

Online Check In Procedure - ALL FLIGHTS 1 FEB - 2 MAR 2014

Between 15 days and 2 hours before each booked flight you can either select and purchase your preferred allocated seat onboard

or be randomly assigned a seat free of charge.

Not sure about after March

DH says he wouldn't fly with them if you paid him :rolleyes::D

Never had a problem with them Linda . It can cost me more to get a bus to town and back and as we are only onboard about

half hour. so that's what we treat it as ... a bus . Get on sit down and get off at other end ,we do'nt need drinks , TV etc .

So if your hubby wants to pay me to fly with them on his behalf :p:D;):D

Never had a problem with them Linda . It can cost me more to get a bus to town and back and as we are only onboard about

half hour. so that's what we treat it as ... a bus . Get on sit down and get off at other end ,we do'nt need drinks , TV etc .

So if your hubby wants to pay me to fly with them on his behalf

I'll ask him :D:D

We saw a TV programme about Ryanair a while back. They just seemed to be cutting corners :eek: The turn around time was so quick. One flight, someone had been sick and they didn't even remove it :eek:

So, it sort of put us off, plus all the add ons! Still, lots of people moan about Monarch and we had two good flights with them at New Year.

Jet2 next - what are they like?

Just booked Flights from Manchester to Dublin to go see some family who moved over there .

Got the flights at £9.99 each way and was expecting a service charge of some sort for using my debit card ...but nothing :)

I then looked at the priority boarding ...its now gone , just book a seat if you wish from £5 so no more mad dash for a seat .:)

(Not that I need it but the hold Baggage was I think £15 for 15kg and £25 for 20kg)

So thats a first for me with Ryan Air ..Not charged anything extra :)

Not what it seems ;)

• 2 weeks later...
We fly with them end of Feb and they are charging for seats (£5 norm -and £10 extra leg)

Maybe the plane has filled up and they have given you a seat due to that ??

In RA's terms ...

Online Check In Procedure - ALL FLIGHTS 1 FEB - 2 MAR 2014

Between 15 days and 2 hours before each booked flight you can either select and purchase your preferred allocated seat onboard

or be randomly assigned a seat free of charge.

Not sure about after March

So if your hubby wants to pay me to fly with them on his behalf :p:D;):D

..................................................................................................

We are not long back from Lanzarote on Ryanair - no allocated seat on the outward leg, but the 'plane was about a 1/3 empty so no problem there.

Their new free of charge allocated seat policy became effective 1st Feb. and I can confirm we had seats together at no cost.

I've no idea how these specific seats were selected, randomly or otherwise, but that's irrelevant if seated together - and that return flight was full, save 3 or 4 empty seats.

You can still choose ahead of time and pay the (£5 ?) charge if you so wish for a specific seat.

I could not fault Ryanair - there was no queue of any size at either Edinburgh or Lanzarote check ins - the seats were comfortable with ample legroom - both flights were punctual, indeed they "made up" time on each journey - and they now allow a second small bag in the cabin in addition to the 10kg hand luggage.

We won't have any hesitation in flying Ryanair again.

Some good news there, second small bag sounds good.

We checked in online with Jet2 the minute it opened and were allocated seats together on both legs of the journey. We declined the "pay extra to sit together" option and still got sat together. Maybe it was because we were first in with the booking? Last time we flew with them we were apart.

We are off to Albufeira for half term, Jet2 flights and 4* Hotel booked through Alpharooms. A good price considering it's half term.

I like jet2,,I started using them when BMIBaby went bust,,that was sad cos they were the best. Not the cheapest but very civilised. When I had my hovel in Spain I used to nip over to Alicante every 6 weeks on Baby,,oohhh how I miss those days:(

Some good news there, second small bag sounds good.

We checked in online with Jet2 the minute it opened and were allocated seats together on both legs of the journey. We declined the "pay extra to sit together" option and still got sat together. Maybe it was because we were first in with the booking? Last time we flew with them we were apart.

We are off to Albufeira for half term, Jet2 flights and 4* Hotel booked through Alpharooms. A good price considering it's half term.

Ryanair's changes thread - sizes of second bag listed.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/ryanair-free-2nd-cabin-bag-small-other-improvements-1717624

No choice Jim, as chosen by Fred.Olsen :D:D:D

Just have to go with then Linda.Sure it`ll be fine,you get delays with any airline

An aside

Thomson Airways finished in first place during the summer season 2013 up to October, recording their sixth consecutive summer at the top of the league table, with an average delay of only 12.8 minutes and over 81% on-time performance recorded.

The airline also repeated a rare clean sweep across all eight UK reporting airports at which it operated charter flights, securing the most punctual position at all eight during summer 2013 for the second consecutive year.

I was just looking at those figures myself last night Jim .

Thomson have done very well when it comes to Charter Airline delays .

I use this site should anyone want to have a look ... FLIGHT ON TIME

Ryan Air do very well in the low-cost Airline tables .

I have only had one delay with them ,that was last summer from Dublin .

Every time the pilots turned on the passenger air-con the plane just lost all power. So we sat on the tarmac about an hour.

It was a computer fault and they had to reload all the data ... after that everything was fine until we landed in Manchester .

It was funny really ...No sooner had we hit the runway and the crew played that tape they always play which starts with a

fanfare and a guys voice telling you " Another Ryan Air flight on time :confused::D"

Hi Jim

I think we discussed this a while ago and you said that Monarch and Jet2 had the worst records for being on time :rolleyes: Well Monarch at Christmas was fine. Good flights both ways. On time going out. An hour late coming back BUT not their fault - horrendous head winds going out to Madeira, but of course tail winds for us coming back. We were back in 2 hours 50 minutes :eek: :D

(3 hours 40mins going out)

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA