Mazatlan

hardel

Has anyone been to Maz on the Star yet ?

Not on the star, but I have been there a couple times on land vacations...can I help in any way? I might be able to answer a few questions about the city...

I am going on the Star in March also...but I've never been on this ship before.

Edited by artist47

My daughter and I will be on Star Dec 2014, so Artist, we want a review, and need more info on Mazatlan. You will paint some wonderful colors.

Hi ! :) I'll be sure to post a review when I get back...indeed, I am hoping for a "colourful" cruise in more ways than one. :D

About Mazatlan : I can say that I looked at the shore excursions listed on NCL and they seemed mid-priced to me. City officials there have worked hard to clean up the city and to get a tougher hold on crime. When I was there, I stayed in the Zona Dorado, at a fave hotel called Playa Mazatlan. Beaches are clean for the most part, and Stone Island is definitely worth your time. So is the lighthouse if you enjoy a little hiking. (It's not overly strenuous in my opinion.)

There is also cliff divers to watch, the downtown market area (mercado) and the Cathedral is absolutely beautiful from an architectural and artistic standpoint. It is mainly a fishing center, for deep sea fishermen. But there are many other things to do there, and lots of tours to take.

I would say that in general, in Mexico, it's probably best to book all excursions through NCL simply because of the "unrest" factor. But, if you just want to go shopping then this is probably cheapest by walking off the pier and catching a taxi....open air taxi's are usually cheaper and a lot more fun. open air taxis are called "pulmanaria" ... You will find that most people in Maz speak English but like everyplace else, they appreciate it if you at least try to speak a little Spanish.

If you are going in December, the weather will likely be warm, but not too hot. JULY and August are killer heat waves down there.

I plan to go over to Stone Island and so some painting....

Edited by artist47