Ports accessibility??

bling19572010

Can anyone tell me how accessible these ports are? My sister and I are taking our elderly (80's) parents on a cruise and my mother is in a wheelchair and cannot ascend or descend steps. We would like island sightseeing tours with a GREAT tour guide and a vehicle that either has a wheelchair lift or that is low enough to the ground that she can easily slide into the seat. We also like zoos, aquariums, etc. Thank you.

Ports:

Nassau, Bahamas

Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas

Phillipsburg, St Maarten

Falmouth, Jamaica

Cozumel, Mexico

Back in November I was in Jamaica. I am wheelchair dependent. I booked a private tour company (Liberty Tours Jamaica) and it was wonderful. They picked my family up at the port and had a wheelchair lift bus waiting. We were also in Nassau, however we just walked around the Bay Street area. They have improved the sidewalks there, so it was no problem for me. However alot of the stores have at least one step to get into. When we were in the port area, there were taxi's that told us they would be able to accommodate me with the wheelchair. However we did not take them up on it.

I have done Nassau, Falmouth and Cozumel with my scooter without any problems.

We were even able to get to Atlantis in Nassau using a water taxi! The boat operators were fantastic, helped me off my scooter onto the boat and then lifted my scooter onto the boat and tied it down!

• 3 months later...
Back in November I was in Jamaica. I am wheelchair dependent. I booked a private tour company (Liberty Tours Jamaica) and it was wonderful. They picked my family up at the port and had a wheelchair lift bus waiting. We were also in Nassau, however we just walked around the Bay Street area. They have improved the sidewalks there, so it was no problem for me. However alot of the stores have at least one step to get into. When we were in the port area, there were taxi's that told us they would be able to accommodate me with the wheelchair. However we did not take them up on it.

What types of things did you do on your tour with Liberty Tours of Jamaica?

Thank you!

Cozumel has only 2 accessible taxis with lifts on the island and there is general be a long wait if your need one if the cabs haven't already been pre-booked.

Falmouth - No accessible taxis with lifts. Was recently in this port and there are no tours vehicles with accessible lifts. Several people in our group had to leave their wheelchairs at the tour office and could not get out of the vehicles until the end of the tour.

St. Thomas - Taxi's are generally Safari Bus with no lifts. Believe the only Taxi company that has one Safari Bus with an accessible lift is Gumbs Taxi http://www.gumbstaxi.com/about.php

• 2 weeks later...