Caulker Cay

bearette

I have heard several things about going here (Caulker cay) on your own using the water taxis, but no one says what exactly there is to do there. Who has been there who can let me know what there is to do? Also did you think it was worth the visit? Thanks.

We stopped for a few hours on Caulker Caye as part of our excursion with Coral Breezes (swimming with nurse sharks, stingrays, snorkeling and the Caye). The Caye is very beautiful, but there is not much there at all. The water taxi will drop you off at a very small pier, just off the pier is a couple of restaurants. We ate at one of them in buffet form which was part of the excursion. The food was average, I wouldn't rant and rave about it, but it wasn't terrible.

There is a couple of beaches, which you will most likely have to yourself. Pristine white sand beaches and you can snorkel from the beach.

Transportation on the island is by renting a golf cart, about $10 for your stay.

There are a FEW small, local stores near the pier/restaurant, but the day we were there they were closed.

If you want a taste of true island living, this is the place to go. If you are looking for something with a little energy, this is not.

The boat ride takes about 40 mins to make it to the Caye. I am not sure if the taxis have any covering on them from the sun, which is incredibly strong.

Coral Breeze does offer transportation out to the Caye (they will drop you off before heading out to the snorkeling and stingray/shark swim and then pick you up at the end of the excursion-gives you about 4 hours on the Caye). The boat we took out was covered, however I have seen posts on this board that others did not have a covered boat. You may want to check with them.

Hope this helps.

We took the water taxi there a few years ago. The taxi which was very crowded in both directions was uncovered going out and covered coming back. If you do take it, be careful to understand the schedule to make sure you are back on time.

From other responses, I wonder if we were directed to the wrong beach, but I was not impressed. The one we went to was small, crowded and not particularly sandy.

I would second what boat bunny said. We were there with an excursion through coral breeze. The snorkel stops we went to were great. It was a lot nicer than going with 100-400 person per tour from the ship. There were 4 in our group. The food was good, but we were hungry. The shops were ok. We did a little shopping back at the pier. It was a 20 tender ride back to the ship. Hope this helps. We didn't see anyone just there from the ship.

It sounds like it is hit or miss depending on when you go. For those of you that took the tour through coral breezes what exactly was included and what did it cost? Was it worth doing with them or could you have just as easily done it on your own? Thanks.

It was worth doing it with coral breeze. You might be able to get to Caye CAulker on your own, but then you would have to find your own boat to take you out to the reef. Our guide got in the water with us. I didn't see any other boats near us. I think the cost was about $115 for two. My mother observed.

I was able to find the website for coral breeze. I think my family will end up doing their tour. We have 6 in our group so we will get one of us free. Plus they were a good price for their touyr to begin with. Also, since they do both scuba and diving my family will be able to stay together for most of the trip. Thank you for all of the info!

slineberry528

I would love it if you would post your pictures. Thanks!

Archived